Author Topic: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds  (Read 59984 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »
a question for stew (who'd have more intimate knowledge of this than the rest of us).

i know that BYOB is, on paper, illegal in new york city. what i am wondering is how some restaurants, including high end ones, can flout that law with impunity, even outright advertising a BYOB policy?

not suggesting you do so and not being provocative, but do you have a thought on that matter?

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
a question for stew (who'd have more intimate knowledge of this than the rest of us).

i know that BYOB is, on paper, illegal in new york city. what i am wondering is how some restaurants, including high end ones, can flout that law with impunity, even outright advertising a BYOB policy?

not suggesting you do so and not being provocative, but do you have a thought on that matter?

A restaurant with a license can allow guests to bring their own wine. The restaurant will usually charge a corkage fee (a fee to open and serve the wine).

Less well-known is that if you buy a bottle of wine, and don't drink all of it, it is legal to take the balance home, which some restaurants are happy to do. We certainly will be.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »
I did not know that. Thank you for sharing that!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
i know about corkage fees -- and have paid them a couple of times in my life for "special" bottles. but i am talking about restaurants that do not serve alcohol and allow patrons to bring it in, sometimes putting that in print ads, sometimes noting it on sandwich boards or menus. sort of like some of these.
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/new-york/byob-restaurants-in-nyc

Offline Rhino

• Activist
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »
BYOB into a restaurant that does not have a liquor license is in fact illegal. They are risking losing their license.

Offline Rhino

• Activist
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
Not losing their liquor license since obviously they don't have one,but their license/permit to operate a eating establishment

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
Given that I am having no success with our Community Board in direct communication, I want to invite our Board to respond publicly, in this forum, to the two questions that I have raised.

First, when will the Board make its position clear on our application for a liquor license, given that we made an application to the Board last April, appeared before its business committee in both May and September, were told in September that we would be required to appear before the full Board, and as of November 6 have no idea when that meeting will take place?

Secondly, does the Board believe that it is acceptable for its members to make comments, anonymously, on this or other pubic fora, about applicants and/or applications before the Board?

I have now been to two meetings of the Board's business committee, and the process doesn't cut it. These meetings are effectively held in secret, the committee is arrogant, some members apparently think that they are living in the 1950s, and the applicants are invariably obsequious.

Much obliged to our Community Board for answers to these basic questions.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:55:39 PM by Stew »

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2015, 11:57:19 PM »
Accidental double post. Delete.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2015, 12:02:53 AM »
Stew, have you reached out to Danny Dromm about this matter? I know nothing about local politics, really, but I doubt that raising these questions/issues on this board will help at all, and it might even hurt. There are probably some backroom maneuvers or string-pulling of some sort that could help. It seems as if some new restaurants don't have a problem, like those new sports bars. I'm thinking of that place on 37th in the 80s and I think there is another one near there, too. Why is that? Do some people have a special "in" with the Community Board such that they get special consideration? Do the commercial realtors who try to get businesses like restaurants to lease space have any insights into this? I don't have a clue, but there must be some way to find out more about how it really works (as opposed to how maybe it's supposed to work.)

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »
Most people are stupid. You give stupid people a little bit of power, and they go on power trips and bully those they have jurisdiction over. That's what you're experiencing with the Community Board and it's unfortunate. You're getting bullied with passive-aggressiveness, and they are probably laughing at you behind your back.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2015, 01:37:50 AM »
Stew, have you reached out to Danny Dromm about this matter? I know nothing about local politics, really, but I doubt that raising these questions/issues on this board will help at all, and it might even hurt. There are probably some backroom maneuvers or string-pulling of some sort that could help. It seems as if some new restaurants don't have a problem, like those new sports bars. I'm thinking of that place on 37th in the 80s and I think there is another one near there, too. Why is that? Do some people have a special "in" with the Community Board such that they get special consideration? Do the commercial realtors who try to get businesses like restaurants to lease space have any insights into this? I don't have a clue, but there must be some way to find out more about how it really works (as opposed to how maybe it's supposed to work.)

Actually, I think it's simpler than that. As far as I know, our full Board hasn't met since last June. If it has, and we weren't invited, yes, I'm going to have something too say about it, but my sense is that the problem is that the Board just isn't up to the job. It isn't a matter of the Board being nefarious (as far as I know), it's a matter of it being incapable of efficiently carrying out its mandate, with a resulting cost to new businesses in our community, people in our community who want to work, and residents in our community.

On the issue of a Board member anonymously taking shots in public fora at an applicant before the Board, I suspect that it is never going to happen again. The only question is whether the Board is going to acknowledge publicly that this kind of behavior is inappropriate,
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:52:54 AM by Stew »

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
As a New York and Long Island restaurant, we'll be offering wines from the Finger Lakes and the North and South Forks. I hope to visit some of the Finger Lakes winemakers next week, and today I read a really interesting analysis by Elaine Chukan Brown of Long Island wines.

My objective for our wine list is that it be interesting and offer value. But I also have three specific objectives for the wines that we offer by the glass. The first two are obvious - that we offer wines that are better than what is currently offered in Jackson Heights, and that we serve our wines by the glass (and, of course, all of our wines) at the right temperature.

Thirdly, I want to offer our guests the opportunity to try wines that they would think twice about, or thrice, due to the cost of a bottle.

So today, we took delivery of a Coravin Model Two, an ingenious device that makes it possible to serve glasses of wine from a bottle, over time, without oxidation.

The Coravin is now being used in most, if not all, of New York's top restaurants, and we will be using it at Swim Two Birds.

The device itself is not terribly expensive, but the argon adds 60-70 cents to the cost of each 5 ounce glass. For certain wines, that cost is worth it.

If you're interested, check out http://coravin.com. They also have an excellent YouTube channel.

Stew

Our Website
Swim Two Birds on Facebook
On Instagram
On Twitter
My Personal Tweets

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:02:19 PM by Stew »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2015, 10:45:56 PM »
i'd say it's definitely worth it. i was pleasantly surprised the first time i tried by-the-glass wine from a place that used the device. i expected some/even a lot of degradation, but the character is preserved quite well.

i also welcome it because while my partner and i will usually end up sharing a bottle over dinner, there are times when we order dishes that are different enough to warrant ordering different wines, and it's nice to have more than two or three choices.

thanks for that consideration.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
At a restaurant called Ditch Plains in Soho I was shocked when they said they do not serve wines by the glass—even at the bar. It's a bottle or nothing. I don't recall whether they said they served half bottles—I just forgot about having wine when they told me no wines by the glass. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »
i've seen it, but never at a restaurant at Ditch Plains' level (not that it's a bad restaurant, just that it's a mid-priced, non-fancy eatery). and, not to belabor the point, but a half bottle isn't half a bottle, it's a smaller, 375 ml. bottle that some labels sell.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »