Author Topic: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds  (Read 60051 times)

Offline Stew

• Council Member
Re: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
I think it's great that Vice, a print and on-line magazine with a huge international reach, would run a piece about a chef opening a restaurant in Jackson Heights.

Just published: http://munchies.vice.com/articles/what-its-like-to-cook-for-some-of-the-worlds-most-powerful-people

I really want to point out that while the by-line bears my name, writer/journalist Matthew Sedacca (@matthewlevine13 on Twitter) and his editor at Vice had everything to do with this happening.

For those unfamiliar with Vice, here's the Wikipedia article on it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_(magazine)

Stew

Swim Two Birds on Facebook
On Instagram
On Twitter
Yelp
TripAdvisor
My Personal Tweets

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:56:15 PM by Stew »

Offline abu benuska

• Activist
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
When are you opening? Maybe you could start booking reservations. If it goes like Lockwood, you might be sold out for a year.

Offline cupcakeparade

• Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 09:52:26 PM »
thanks for your response, stew! it's great that you're keeping vegetarians in mind when creating the menu; i'm really pleased to hear that. this is all sounding very exciting and promising and i like how transparent you are and have been through the process, incorporating feedback from the community and keeping us in the loop on choices from small to big ones. as i said before, i can't wait to see the end result and to dine in comfort, style, and deliciousness hopefully very soon!

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:46 PM »
We had a great meeting with Bernaurdaud and Christofle today followed by yet another bizarre meeting with the Community Board 3 business committee.

The meeting started with us introducing ourselves by name but getting responses only from people we asked.

Not a single member of the Commlttee volunteered his or her name.

It's sort of like appearing before a parole board, except that I'm pretty sure that Parole Board.members tell you who they are.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
Our Community Board members seriously need a good shaking.  At a recent meeting about their approval or disapproval of the proposed upward expansion of the N.E. half of the block on 37th Ave. between 84th & 85th Sts.,  almost none of them were present at the posted starting time.    They slowly sauntered in (yes, sauntered - no sense of urgency whatsoever!) over the next 45 minutes and, even then, they were totally unprepared.  The documents they required had to be sent for.

No explanation or apology was offered, even though several dozen people from the neighborhood showed up, keenly interested in the outcome of the meeting.

This is shameful treatment of the people in the neighborhood they are supposed to serve.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
Our Community Board ...

You know, it was a pleasant enough meeting and it's well intentioned. But I'd kind of like to know, when a member speaks, who's speaking.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
Really happy with yesterday's meeting on flatware and porcelain. We have a match. Photos:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
Hey Stew, are you going to have any gluten free options?

Totally cool if no, but y'know, would be nice. When I ask at a lot of places in the neighborhood the proprietors almost hiss, make the sign of the cross and shout "out! out with you, demon!"

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »

Yes. Most of my cooking isn't problematic anyway (for example, I don't use flour as a thickener in sauces, soups or chowders). We won't have a dedicated room free of wheat flour, but people for whom potential cross-contamination is not an issue should find plenty on the menu that works for them, as well as some pointedly gluten-free choices (e.g. in the dessert menu). I'm not planning to make gluten-free bread, but otherwise this is not going to be an issue, and I can see making gluten-free muffins for brunch.

Our service staff will be well-informed on allergens. The fact that there are people or whom "gluten-free" is trendy does not change the fact that for some people this is a serious issue, including two of my friends.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:03:49 PM by Stew »

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »

Yes. Most of my cooking isn't problematic anyway (for example, I don't use flour as a thickener in sauces, soups or chowders). We won't have a dedicated room free of wheat flour, but people for whom potential cross-contamination is not an issue should find plenty on the menu that works for them, as well as some pointedly gluten-free choices (e.g. in the dessert menu). I'm not planning to make gluten-free bread, but otherwise this is not going to be an issue, and I can see making gluten-free muffins for brunch.

Our service staff will be well-informed on allergens. The fact that there are people or whom "gluten-free" is trendy does not change the fact that for some people this is a serious issue, including two of my friends.

Thanks! More than anything it's about being able to ask the server and getting an answer other than "no, we don't want to deal with you."

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »

Thanks! More than anything it's about being able to ask the server and getting an answer other than "no, we don't want to deal with you."

I can assure you that every member of our team, kitchen and dining room, will know which dishes we offer that raise allergy issues, and that they will respond intelligently and respectfully to guests' questions. My recipe development process includes tagging dishes that include ingredients to which some people are allergic, and every member of the team will know which dishes raise issues, and what issues.

I absolutely want to hear about it if you have an experience in my restaurant that is inconsistent with what I just said.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Our designer, Paul dePoo, is at the Emmys tonight.  Paul was a member of the team that put on Live at Lincoln Center's Sweeney Todd, and they just won the Emmy for Best Special!

Paul's Instagram post from a few minutes ago: https://instagram.com/p/7jXrOetJBk/

Yes!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:39:47 PM by Stew »

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
Wow, how exciting for Paul of the Awesome Last Name! That is an admirable achievement. I love Sweeney Todd.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »
Language is both beautiful and amusing in its complexity :)

We'll be serving our guests, and offering our menu, in both English and Spanish.

So of course, the first question is, what are the New York City Spanish equivalents of the words Dinner/Supper, Lunch and Brunch.

So far, there seems to be a consensus that in New York Brunch is the right word in both languages, despite the fact that there are a good many references on the internet to Spanish terms for Brunch.

There also seems to be a consensus that Almuerzo is the right word for Lunch.

As it happens, there is debate among Hispanic people with whom I have discussed this about the right word for Dinner (or, as some people call it, Supper, which mostly proves that there's no agreement even in English - as far as my Newfoundland (in Spanish, Terranova) friends are concerned, Dinner is what New Yorkers would call Lunch, and Supper is the evening meal, a rather important distinction if one has been invited over for one or the other).

What's your vote for the New York Spanish word for Dinner/Supper? Hint: Cena is not universally approved.

And if you think that settling on Brunch and Almuerzo is wrong, I'd love to hear that too.

Cheers,

Stew

Our Website
Swim Two Birds on Facebook
On Instagram
On Twitter
My Personal Tweets

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:49:39 PM by Stew »

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm from an area where dinner and supper are used. Mostly, it's interchangeable. Dinner was more of a Sunday thing. You had a dinner at lunch time on Sunday. I think it was an after church thing. Families would have a big meal after church - pot roast, potatoes, roasted veggies -- the type of thing you could put in the oven before church and have a big meal at noon after services, sunday school, etc. That meal was called dinner. Every other time dinner/supper could be used interchangeably.

Will all your front-of-house staff be bilingual?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »