Author Topic: NYT: Young white people can't get their Bloody Marys  (Read 13283 times)

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
Re: NYT: Young white people can't get their Bloody Marys
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Kept reading the article to find out when the Bloody Mary was going to come up. Not exactly a major part of the story.
Anyways.... seems like a small sample size to assume that it’s a significant problem for that demographic. Never heard my kids or their friends raise the concern.
Personally, I’ve always liked brunches. Is there any reason to dislike a meal that is leisurely enjoyed?

Len

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
I enjoy a nice brunch. But no Bloody Marys for me! (I miss the barfing emoticon.)

Offline specanha

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 02:42:03 PM »
It's a misconception that JH lacks brunch spots -- we have dozens. But you will get other types of food in it, like empanadas, momos and dosas.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
Actually read the article.
I'm sure they'll find more than a few places to have brunch by year's end.

Offline yt28

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
They've lived in, and loved Astoria - plenty of brunch places there so there's no need to make the schlep all the way to Brooklyn just for eggs and Bloody Marys. I suspect the NYT writer just had to insert "Brooklyn" in the article somewhere.

Offline puri

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
It's a misconception that JH lacks brunch spots -- we have dozens. But you will get other types of food in it, like empanadas, momos and dosas.

I second this. And if anyone is willing to walk outside of Jackson Heights proper, there are a lot more options. If the definition of brunch food is egg and some carbohydrates, I suggest oyster omelette pancake at Taiwanese Gourmet or some roti and toast at Sugar Club and sit by the window. They don't serve bloody mary though.

Too bad, Plant Love House moved. Its old location had a backyard for seating.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
Also, she’s 24, a kid, still learning about grownup, sophisticated life in the big city.
She’s lucky she landed in JH; as someone else noted, she will have her gustatory horizons broadened here.
Glad I was never quoted in the Times at 24. LOL.

Len

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
Why the hostility?  I like brunch too.  Gives me a chance to start drinking early in the day in a socially accepting environment.  There should be more brunch spots everywhere! 

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 11:10:49 PM »
Brunch is more about a social thing to do with friends on the weekend and an alternate menu to do it with. So what if it's popular, it's fun. I like that the menu is usually different and usually offers a mix of breakfast and lunch options. Not sure why people bemoan it. If it was some ethnic celebration every week everyone would be all over it. Somehow brunch has a bad rap as some yuppie thing when it's just a socializing thing that anyone can do.

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
Offensive title to this this thread. Lucky for us that  this is not  the vibe of our neighborhood.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
Just so I'm clear - does this mean that old, non-white people CAN get Bloody Marys?

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
I have to say I do want to barf at the guitar next to the retro turntable and the girl placing the record on the turntable. That lede image is ridiculously barf worthy posed shot. This coming from someone that owns and electric guitar and is considering buying a turntable for the vinyl I have in storage.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
I have feeling they don't like living in JH but they had no choice because they can't afford Astoria or Brooklyn.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Just so I'm clear - does this mean that old, non-white people CAN get Bloody Marys?

No, it means no older or non-white people were considered in the making of this article. Their presence in the neighborhood is considered an inconvenience or at best "exotic" by the New York Times Real Estate section, and hopefully soon to be rectified.

Offline JackM

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Hey, I love Jackson Heights but it lacks some things I wish it had and maybe, in the coming years, it will.  I wish it had a park-- a real park.  Travers reminds me of an asphalt parking lot I used to hang out in when I was a kid.  It's not my idea of a park.  So much green space here is private.  We need more open public green space.  Also, A couple of Irish pubs wouldn't hurt.  Love all the So. American chicken places, Indian restaurants, Tibet, Thai (love Chinese Saw Shack) etc but it would be nice to have a couple pubs with good burgers etc.  And brunch with good bloody marys & mimosas would be great.  And restaurants with outdoor seating is non-existent.  I'd spend more money in the hood.  Who would not like a few of these things here?  Just sayin'

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »