Author Topic: Red Light Runners  (Read 1864 times)

Offline JHres

• Resident
Red Light Runners
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:39:13 AM »
Took a photo of cab brazenly driving through red light on 35/77 shortly after 1pm yesterday. Can't upload to site - says file too large. License plate is clearly visible. There was a police car parked a few blocks on however they said they can't do anything unless they observe the situation themselves.

Do people think this behavior is getting worse here? That's the second red light runner I saw yesterday, first was at 76/37.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
Re: Red Light Runners
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
I see this way too often. Usually cars "leading" into the intersection, blocking the crosswalk and then going through the light. (Usually black limos.)
I've also seen cars just out and out speeding through a red light. I can't say if it's increased or if it's always been like this. I wait for all cars to stop before I cross.

Offline fafacious

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:29:18 AM »
I too have been seeing this behavior more and more.  Unfortunately, the few times I have seen police officers writing tickets recently it's always been for cyclists running a red.  Somehow the city has prioritized these tickets over motor vehicle tickets as of late.  I'm a driver and a cyclist and wish both would abide by laws and respect pedestrians and other road users.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
I'm a driver and a cyclist and wish both would abide by laws and respect pedestrians and other road users.

I agree, but add that my fellow pedestrians have to do their part as well.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
I have a good experience to report in interacting with the city on this issue.  If you see a car running a red light, there's nothing NYPD can do, but if you see a livery vehicle (taxicab, limo, etc.), the TLC is responsive to complaints.   I saw an Uber car run a red light and almost collide with another car in the intersection.   I noted the plate number and called in a complaint to 311.  They took down all of the details of the incident and my contact information.  A couple of weeks later, I received a call asking if I would be willing to testify that I witnessed this, and I said yes.  I didn't hear anything for a long time, but I recently received a letter that "The driver has pleaded guilty to a rule violation and has paid a penalty."  I encourage anybody who sees dangerous driving by professional drivers (santitation trucks, delivery trucks, taxis, limos, etc.) to report it to 311 and be willing to testify about what you witnessed.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
I see it out my living room window -- first floor, corner apartment, red light at corner -- every single day, especially when I'm working at home during daylight hours. seen some really egregious moves, the worst of which (and surprisingly common) is the driver who speeds up to change lanes to go around a car trying to stop properly at the light.

Offline JHres

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »
Toddg, I'll take your advice. In fact I suggested to the officer sending the photo to the TLC, he thought it might work.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
115 precinct ticketed 263 red light runners in June alone. Plus another over 200 for disobeying traffic device.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/traffic_reports/traffic_summons_reports.shtml

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
Good to know.  Anyone else see the sanitation trucks driving the wrong way down one way street? 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »