Author Topic: River of Flowers  (Read 1881 times)

Online toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
River of Flowers
« on: November 07, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
Attention urban gardening enthusiasts!
More flowers - for people and pollinators

This Sunday at 5pm there's an opportunity to meet Kathryn Lwin, founder of River of Flowers, who is visiting Jackson Heights from London. She will explain why and how we can help endangered butterflies, bees and other pollinators to survive in our urban landscape. Kathryn will show examples of groups that have collaborated to produce imaginative urban nature projects.

Last year Kathryn received a “Winston Churchill traveling scholarship” including New York City where she interviewed leaders in the field and is writing a guidebook on bringing nature into cities.

Space is very limited for Sunday’s event. If you’d like to attend, please email RiverOfFlowersQueens@gmail.com to receive information on the event location. They won’t spam you or reveal your email address.

Please also write to let us know if you’d like to connect with others in Jackson Heights trying to make gardens along our residential streets. Working with existing groups and individuals already doing this kind of work, sharing ideas, experiences, skills and resources, we can resolve the various practical difficulties.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:39:46 PM by toddg »

Offline ECG

• Mayor
Re: River of Flowers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:04:47 AM »
Where?

Offline Londonjo

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
Read it more slowly and you will see it requires a response!

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
I went to the presentation Sunday night. The concept is wonderful! I'm looking at the landscape in a whole new way and hope that we can plant some wild flowers in the back and also at St. Marks.

Check out the website riverofflowers.org

Thanks to Todd Goldman for arranging this. Also Jo Foster in the Berkeley.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »
I planted milkweed too, but I fear the landscapers will pull it up.

The seeds are so beautiful.

I got mine from a woman I met in Sunnyside, Maria Graca Heneghan. She may be associated with this group, but at any rate it's the same movement--to save the monarch.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:20:02 PM »
Hi.

walking along 90th street I noticed two butterflies. Not surprisingly, it was a front yard brimming with milkweed (already in its fuzzy state). I plan to grab some seeds today and "plant" them after the first frost.

Here is just one website that provides info on how you can help the monarch.
http://www.ourhabitatgarden.org/creatures/milkweed-growing.html

Jeanette

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »
I've been having fantasies lately about finding a way to get the neighborhood to go nuts with window-boxes full of flowers. Wouldn't it be great to walk around and look up and see building after building with flowers or greenery cascading from windows? 

I was in Poland recently and there is a tiny town that got together and painted their houses and barns with colorful murals and it's become a tourist attraction that has allowed them to open a restaurant and hotel and make money for their residents.  It got me thinking that it would be so cool to do something similar in JH and would make the neighborhood so much better-looking.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »