Author Topic: Ditching cable -- digital antenna recommendations?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline jadasie

• Activist
Ditching cable -- digital antenna recommendations?
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
I'm looking to cut the cord and ditch cable. Between Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, I'm sure I'll survive. I would, however, like to retain local news and television, for which I'll need a digital antenna. Does anyone have a recommendation for an indoor one that works well in the area? Thanks!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Ditching cable -- digital antenna recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »
I have a Mohu Leaf and it works pretty well.   But I think it depends on what direction your windows face.

Offline jadasie

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
Thanks! My window faces east, which might be a problem. Oh well, still worth a shot.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
I have a Winegard, and their Flatwave gets good reviews. I really recommend getting an amplified antenna - it also plugs into a power jack - for the best signal.

As the other poster says, though, having line of sight to the Empire State Building REALLY helps. All the channels are over there.

Offline qwfx

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
i bought the rca wall hdtv antenna, and it works fine, all public channels, depending on the day if its sunny i get other 5 channels, i am behind few buildings, i heard if u have a good location u can get up to 50 channels

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
We're on the top (6th) floor at 86th and 34th, facing north. Our building doesn't allow rooftop or outside installation, so we got one of these:
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/rca-ant1650r-flat-panel-antenna/1500384.html#.VXX6oVI0N2A

It works very well, large number of stations. Sometimes we have to move it around to get a station to stop pixelating, but most of the time one position gets all stations.

One thing I don't understand, we used to get 13/PBS (and 50/NJ PBS) just fine. But about a year ago they just fell off our reception and all we get (no matter WHERE the antenna is) is the NO SIGNAL message. I'm hoping that all stations will go back to a WTC antenna/transmitter....

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
We cut the cord in 2007. These days we stream our movies and cable series from Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Netflix has an iphone app. we hook up my phone to the TV using an HDMI cable. For Amazon, we hook up a Dell laptop to the TV.

We have two of these to get local stations (which it turns out we rarely watch):

http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Off-Air-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2

We face West and they work fine to bring in the local stations.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
We cut the cord in 2007. These days we stream our movies and cable series from Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Netflix has an iphone app. we hook up my phone to the TV using an HDMI cable. For Amazon, we hook up a Dell laptop to the TV.

We have two of these to get local stations (which it turns out we rarely watch):

http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Off-Air-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2

We face West and they work fine to bring in the local stations.

Correction, we face East.

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 10:06:13 PM »
Still having trouble picking up ABC and PIX with my digital antenna. Does anyone have any recent suggestions?

Offline temujin

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »
We're on the top (6th) floor at 86th and 34th, facing north. Our building doesn't allow rooftop or outside installation, so we got one of these:
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/rca-ant1650r-flat-panel-antenna/1500384.html#.VXX6oVI0N2A

It works very well, large number of stations. Sometimes we have to move it around to get a station to stop pixelating, but most of the time one position gets all stations.

One thing I don't understand, we used to get 13/PBS (and 50/NJ PBS) just fine. But about a year ago they just fell off our reception and all we get (no matter WHERE the antenna is) is the NO SIGNAL message. I'm hoping that all stations will go back to a WTC antenna/transmitter....

You might need to reprogram your TV. That happen to Fox5 channel and PBS13 on my TV, after I reprogram somehow my TV get two digital channels of the same number, so I suppress the old one.

There was some service announcement on the need to reprogram, can't remember where I read it, think it was either last Oct. or last last Oct.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »
For mrleefromny, channels 7, 11 and 13 seem to be on different transmitters than the other channels. I've tried numerous antennas (antennae?) but I've found the best choice is to mount the antenna on the wall nearest the window as high as possible. I get decent reception when the weather is mild, with major issues during storms. You could move your antenna based on which channel your watching (from the East to the North for example) but that is a bit much for me. I've tried the Terk omni-directional antenna and several others, but I got the best results from a Mohu Leaf. I get about 70 channels or so with this antenna.

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 09:27:18 AM »
Thanks.... this is helpful.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 09:27:18 AM »