Author Topic: JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th  (Read 16244 times)

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
Re: JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th - Before & After
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
So we've finished scrubbing and painting - and I took one last round of photos before we moved in - no more pictures until we've unpacked (nothing like a pile of boxes in a room to ruin the mood, eh?)

Still, we're thrilled to have such a nice home to live in. We moved over the weekend - we're exhausted - but happy. The cats and the puppy keep going from room to room (they're not used to more than one living space!) and we can't wait to get fully settled.

We scrubbed and repainted every surface (ceiling, walls, trim) and then ripped up the old wall-to-wall brown carpet that had been installed in every room. The whole process took slightly longer than we thought, but it's finally done.

Living Room
Before

After

Bedroom
Before

After

Dining Room
Before

After

(I can't seem to quite capture this red/gold accent wall)

Kitchen
Before

After (not much change here, really)

Full set is on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcuswoollen/sets/72157613575450159/
- MW

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »
Looks great!!  Congrats on the move-in being done and good luck with unpacking  :)

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
Looks quite fabulous! Welcome to Jackson Heights Life! :rockon:

Offline heals and stockings

• Tourist
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 10:33:18 PM »
Hi Marcus
A big welcome to the neighborhood...
I like the Jac Towers as well, I own a couple of apartments in that co-op, has done for many years now...
Only thing, compared to many other co-ops in the neighborhood, the maintenance is a bit high...
Just curious, what unit did you buy/ the big 2BR on the 1st floor???
Hugs :)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »
Wow.  Looks sharp!  Wanna paint my place?

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »
Marcus,
Welcome!  I love the colors.  Can I move in?  :smiley6600:

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:23 AM »
Heals & Stockings: No, I think that the big 2BR on the ground floor is still available. We bought a JR 4 on the second floor that faces 35th Ave (and the bedroom is on the back corner and also faces the alley in back where the fire escape is).

I think that the maintenance varies by floor - we're OK with it on the 2nd floor, although I believe from other listings we've seen in our research of the building that it's higher on higher floors (with city views). It's money well spent as far as we're concerned, as the building is spotlessly maintained, and the financial statements made sense to us when we reviewed as we were buying. And for other large pre-war elevator buildings, it seems in-line with others buildings in the area.

Mark, Todd and Marlene - thanks for the compliments! We have some more furniture on the way, but once we're done, I'll post some fully-furnished photos.
- MW

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »
We're getting there - after driving back from Virginia at night during the bizzard two weeks ago, and slowly unpacking and putting things away, we're nearly done settling in. There's still a few boxes that need to be unpacked, and a few items cluttering up our bedroom that need to to to the salvation army, but it's feeling like home now!

For those that are interested, the full renovation before/during/after gallery (with notes) is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcuswoollen/sets/72157613575450159/

Living Room

Dining Room

Hall

Kitchen

Bedroom
- MW

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Just fabulous!  But where are your books?  :smiley6600:

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
Well....there are still a few boxes left to unpack - and there are two large bookshelves not in frame - one in the living room, one in the bedroom! Not to worry!
- MW

Offline NYCWriter

• Tourist
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »
Marcus that place is gorgeous!

We might also be looking at a place in the JAC Towers. Does anyone know what the board is like? Are they one of those that are super nosy into your life?

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
I found the board members that I met with to be relaxed, normal people.  I didn't feel that any of the questions were overly intrusive or invasive. By the time we got to the board interview, the management company had already given a preliminary OK to our finances, so the board meeting was just a get-to-know-you meeting - we actually enjoyed it. The building has a nice friendly vibe to it, and everyone I've met here seems proud of the building, and cares a great deal about keeping it a nice place to live.
- MW

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »
I don't know exactly which unit you're looking for, but I know of 2 for sale in the building: a 1BR on the 5th Floor: http://cesargarcia.listingbook.com/cgi-bin/websites/templates/booklets_red/prop_detail.php/?mlno=2149104&uid=A27855&node=37
and a two bedroom on the ground floor (elevated by nearly a full story on the outside): http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/reo/1093515366.html
I've been in the 2BR and it's huge and beautiful. I've not seen the 1BR, but it looks like the same kitchen renovation that went into our unit, which was very nicely done. It's in the back, and the building behind ours is only 4 floors, so it should have a nice open (but quiet) view.
- MW

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »