Author Topic: JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th  (Read 16170 times)

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »
Hi - we were really impressed with an apartment (and the building) at 72nd St at 35th Avenue. I know it's not the historic district, but it's a lot closer to the express trains - a big plus for us!

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or opinions on the development (JAC Towers?)

Thanks,

- Marcus
- MW

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
Opinions on JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
Wow, no one?

For us the advantages are: Close to the E express (and our jobs in Midtown West), near to where the new dog run is supposedly coming at 35th and 69th St.
Disadvantages: Outside of the historic district, not as green/pretty as other parts of the neighborhood.

Any other thoughts? As someone who's never lived in the neighborhood (but really likes it, and is excited about moving/owning there) are there other concerns/advantages to that corner of JH that I'm not aware of?

If you don't want to reply publicly, you can send me a message as well.

Thanks,

- Marcus

- MW

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: JAC Towers - 72nd at 35th
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
Hi Marcus,

I don't know anyone who lives in Jac Towers, but I live at 73rd and 35th.  I chose this part of JH over the Historic District for similar reasons as you stated:  proximity of the express station, and I like being close to everything.  It's close enough to the prettier streets that I can get my fix of trees by taking a walk. 

I'm not sure if Jac Towers is rentals or condos.  I'm renting, and found that renting from a coop/condo owner in the historic district would be a bit cheaper than in my managed apartment building - but as they are privately owned they are not rent stabilized.  I struggled with the decision (my building vs. historic district) and I'm very happy with my choice.  There are tons of exits from the express train, so you can live anywhere up to 80th Street and still have a really short walk to the train. 

This part of JH is very safe (well, I think all of JH is safe). The only downside is street noise - lots of honking and the infernal racket by my arch-nemesis, Mr. Softee.  However, I don't think that's exclusive to this part of JH - from reading this site I realize it seems to be an issue all over the hood, including the historic district.  I got used to it pretty quickly, and the fan on my a/c really helps block out the noise.

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 05:12:20 PM »
Thanks - the building is a co-op.

I didn't notice much street noise when I was there (Sunday, early afternoon, Wednesday morning) - is 35th Ave loud? It seems like there's almost no traffic on 72nd St.

Thanks,
-Marcus
- MW

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
I never knew anyone who lived in this building but I am in the area frequently.  72nd street between 37th and 35th avenue is a fairly quiet block by Jackson Heights standards.  35th avenue is a busy street but not terribly noisy.  If your windows face 35th avenue you may pick up some traffic noise.  You are very close to the heart of the South Asian shopping area (37th avenue from 72nd-75th and 74th street between 37th and Roosevelt Avenues) which is always busy.  Legends Sports Bar and Barbecue are around the corner on 35th avenue at 71st Street.

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »
Thanks, all - the more time we spend in the area, the more we like it. And the business of the area immediately around the 74th St. stop doesn't bother us - we currently live two blocks from Times Square. I like busy streets and dense and diverse shopping areas - as long as my home is just a little removed from the action, it's great.

And, yes, the unit we've looked at does face 35th Ave, but the traffic didn't seem bad (I'm on 9th avenue in Hell's Kitchen now - that's awful traffic - every night trying to get out through the tunnel - and the bar crawl nightly is getting really loud and really late - especially in the last 5 or so years)

I'd certainly welcome any more thoughts on the area (or updates on the dog park??) but I think we're moving in the right direction on this one!

Thanks,
- Marcus
- MW

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
72nd street between 37th and 35th avenue is a fairly quiet block by Jackson Heights standards.  35th avenue is a busy street but not terribly noisy.  If your windows face 35th avenue you may pick up some traffic noise.  You are very close to the heart of the South Asian shopping area (37th avenue from 72nd-75th and 74th street between 37th and Roosevelt Avenues) which is always busy.
The very first apartment I was shown by my real estate agent is on this block, and now I live in it. Based on all the listings I had perused, I knew that I could not find a better location: very close to the train station (about two blocks) without being too close, a pretty tree-lined street without a noisy bus route (like 73rd Street has), 24-hour businesses in the immediate vicinity (Apna Bazar Cash and Carry, Dynasty Deli, Subzi Mandi and Trade Fair, as well as halal butchers I rarely frequent), and a quiet demeanor despite being near bustling intersections. The only things I don’t like about it are all the noisy, hyperactive children who attend the Daru-l-Furqan Mosque on the block or live in the building next to it and who scream and yell and shriek down the block while their parents ignore them; and the admittedly rare ice cream truck that plays the admittedly amusing “Turkey in the Straw” medley mentioned in another thread. (I thought I might escape annoying children by finding a building that isn’t near the local school, but I’m sure it’s much worse there.)
Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
This may be a silly contribution to the thread, but when I used to live on 71st Street right off 35th Avenue, I enjoyed walking up Leverich to take the 7 train at 69th Street rather than using the 74th Street hub.  Less people, peaceful walk and less platform crowding.  The only part of the walk I didn't like so much was crossing the Broadway and 37th Avenue intersection.  With all the recent improvements that have been made to the highway entrance though, crossing has become much easier.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline robl

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »
My sister and her ex lived on the top floor of that building from 1982-1992. It was a huge 1 bedroom with an amazing view of Manhattan. Their apartment had a fire escape inside a door that ran to the basement of the building if memory serves me correctly (no exterior fire escape). Also had roof access. I remember the building being spotlessly clean (no roaches) with a great super whose name I think was Bob. When the building first went co-op the apartment was selling for only 18K, imagine that? Of course like so many, they didn't buy it! The mindset was who buys apartments, you save for a house. Talk about a bad credo... What it's like now is unknown to me these days. I don't remember a parking garage but I may be wrong. Nice tree lined block.

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
That was our impression too - the unit we're looking at doesn't have the Manhattan view (it's on a lower floor, facing 35th Ave), but is also big, bright and roomy. All the common spaces looked spotless to me as well (elevator music in the elevator, squeaky-clean floors in the basement area) - it's nice to hear that it's been very well maintained for a long time!

I also found out that a coworker lives in a building across the street on 72nd, and also loves that little pocket of the neighborhood.

Thanks!
- Marcus
- MW

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Yay!

We're in contract for a unit in this building...looking forward to moving to Jackson Heights! After 15 years in a tiny 4th floor walkup apartment in Hell's Kitchen, we're ready to actually make a home, instead of just having an apartment!

- Marcus

- MW

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »
Yay!

We're in contract for a unit in this building...looking forward to moving to Jackson Heights! After 15 years in a tiny 4th floor walkup apartment in Hell's Kitchen, we're ready to actually make a home, instead of just having an apartment!

I’m actually jealous of your having elevator music. I hope all goes well with contract, and I look forward to a new kid friend on the block. Welcome to the “neighb.”
Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
Yay!

-

Congrats and welcome!
(and great pics!  hope you contribute to the Photo forum thread when you have more photos of the area)

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »
Yay!

- Marcus

Welcome - Great looking dog.  Stop in Legends Sports Bar on 71st and 35th and ask the bartender for Eddiestjohns.  I'm there every Monday night once football starts.  I'll buy you a welcome drink.

Eddie

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
hey eddie, is it time for another Jackson Heights Life get together at Legends?
First, do no harm.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »