Author Topic: Announcing a Little Jackson Heights Restaurant  (Read 44608 times)

Offline Stew

• Council Member
Re: Announcing a Little Jackson Heights Restaurant
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
Stew:
If I remember correctly, that lovely limestone building has a black and green marble sign band above the show window... I think the lettering (for the store name) was originally in gold, and the stores likely had a canvas awning projecting from below the sign band.

We're going to remove the current signage which means that we will indeed find out what is underneath. My understanding is that the building dates from 1948. It's a pretty straightforward semi-art deco design (curved block ends) with no visible ornamentation. We have been unsuccessful in finding any photographs except for a tax photo that shows, without detail, only the entire block from a distance. For that matter, we have thus far had no luck finding period photographs showing 37th Avenue storefronts. Where did you come across the above info?

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
jhlifer,

You've got me speeded up to find out what's under the signage. When I first looked at the building, I was struck by the fact that, while of more or less art deco design, there was no ornamentation. A marble band at sign height would make complete sense, and I have little doubt that originally there were awnings.

Right now, that block, and many others on 37th, have signage that is based on the principle that more is more. As you know, when one looks closely at a number of the building fronts on 37th, architectural details have been completely obscured in the race to have the most prominent sign, tasteful or not.

We've already decided that we're not going to compete with the signage on the block, so if there's something there that we can work with, all the better.

We're also considering replacing the entire front (currently all glass with a glass door in the center), although this is going to be a matter of priorizing within our budget.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:45 PM »
Stew, for historical photographs, have you tried contacting Daniel Karatzas, local realtor and author of a history of the neighborhood? He gives a yearly slide show of historical photographs of Jackson Heights on the day of the annual JHBG garden tour. I would think he'd be a good source on photos, as I believe he spent years researching his book.

Regarding the suggestion about trying to appeal to the landlord for uniform signage on that block— does one landlord own the entire block? Someone mentioned getting Hawthorne Ct residents to work on this--I'm a Hawthorne Ct resident and would love to do anything I can to improve 37th Avenue. Other blocks on the avenue seem to have installed uniform signage. Is this something that the landlord initiates? How does it happen and why has it happened on other blocks but not this one, I wonder.

Offline diana_rachel

• Tourist
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
So thrilled! Hope you'll be serving brunch, as a bloody mary + eggs are needed in the area for sure  :)

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »
Hope you'll be serving brunch, as a bloody mary + eggs are needed in the area for sure  :)

Also, a Bloody Caesar and eggs :)

From Dale DeGroff (ex-Rainbow Room, James Beard Award Winner):

The creation of the Bloody Mary in Paris is said to have coincided with the arrival of the first tins of tomato juice from the United States, right after World War I. Evidently, Frank Meier, head barman at the Ritz Bar, had been mixing his famous Tomato Juice Cocktail for years. But his recipe was missing one fundamental ingredient: booze! At Harry’s American Bar in Paris, barman Ferdinand “Pete” Petiot made the Bloody Mary with vodka. The name, according to Duncan McElhone (son of Andy McElhone, the original storyteller and owner of Harry’s), came into being because of the continued appearance at the bar of a woman named Mary, who was regularly left waiting for her man, nursing one of Pete’s tomato cocktails. A comparison was made between the imprisonment of Mary, Queen of Scots, and young Mary’s long, solitary hours at the bar.

Pete worked at Harry’s from 1919 to 1936, until the Astor family, loyal customers of his, convinced him to head the bar staff at their St. Regis hotel in New York. When he arrived at the King Cole Bar, he introduced the drink to New Yorkers with gin, since vodka was not yet available in the United States, and changed the name to the Red Snapper at the behest of the Astors.

John Martin, grandson of Heublein founder Andrew Martin, used the drink as a vehicle to promote a new product, Smirnoff vodka in the 1960s. This led to an almost exclusive use of vodka in the drink, and helped to make it the de rigeur morning-after cocktail.

Bloody Mary

There’s something about the Bloody Mary that makes people competitive. Every weekend bartender in America has his own, and of course, his is the best recipe in Western civilization. But this is really the best recipe. A dash of celery salt is a nice touch, and New Yorkers traditionally add horseradish. The Bloody Mary offers rich ground for improvisation both in garnish and ingredients. Have fun.

1 ½ ounces vodka
2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
4 dashes of Tabasco sauce
Pinch of salt and pepper
¼ ounce fresh lemon juice
4 ounces tomato juice

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing glass and roll back and forth to mix. Strain into a large goblet or pint glass three quarters filled with ice. Garnish with the lemon and lime wedges on a side plate.

Bloody Caesar

This Canadian import is a wonderful change from the ordinary. Use the Bloody Mary (above), but omit the salt. Instead of regular tomato juice, use 3 ounces tomato with 2 ounces clam juice.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »
you said the magic words.

Bloody Caesar.

i'm camping out on the sidewalk starting this weekend  :D

Offline amsci

• Citizen
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »
DNA Info has a nice little writeup about Stew and his restaurant-to-be:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150501/jackson-heights/chef-who-once-cooked-for-royalty-opening-new-restaurant

Best of luck Stew and crew!

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »
DNA Info has a nice little writeup about Stew and his restaurant-to-be:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150501/jackson-heights/chef-who-once-cooked-for-royalty-opening-new-restaurant

Best of luck Stew and crew!

Thanks amsci. It was a great pleasure to meet Katie Honan, and the support here is very encouraging.

I'll be posting updates here and on Twitter at @StewartWadden.

Offline jhlifer

• Activist
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »
Stew:

I walked by the building this morning, and if you look at the Isabel (the haircutter) sign, you can see the black and green marble sign band behind the sign.  Hopefully it is still there on yours.  I would think it is, unless Baskin Robbins removed it 30+ years ago... It cost money to remove the thing, so I imagine most merchants simply covered over what was there.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »
Stew:

I walked by the building this morning, and if you look at the Isabel (the haircutter) sign, you can see the black and green marble sign band behind the sign.  Hopefully it is still there on yours.

We took a hard look at the facade. Sure enough, you were right. Looking forward to seeing what's behind our sign.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:45:30 PM by Stew »

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
Great meeting today with Paul Tate dePoo, who is designing the restaurant.  Paul created the concept board in post #28. You can see Paul's theater work at https://pauldepoo.com. We are very excited to be working with him.

Paul's Instagram post after our meeting: https://instagram.com/p/2JzQtetJF4/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:59:27 PM by Stew »

Offline jh_coop_buyer

• Citizen
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
Stew, for historical photographs, have you tried contacting Daniel Karatzas, local realtor and author of a history of the neighborhood? He gives a yearly slide show of historical photographs of Jackson Heights on the day of the annual JHBG garden tour. I would think he'd be a good source on photos, as I believe he spent years researching his book.

Well, jhlifer is Daniel Karatzas when he posted real estate ads. He already gave excellent suggestions.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
Thanks all, I'm now in touch with Dan re the building's (hidden) architectural details.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:06:16 PM by Stew »

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »
Very exciting.  I am going to guess that your restaurant will be extremely successful, and along with lockwood, will help usher in a new renaissance on 37th avenue. 

We have some such wonderful entrepreneurs like the folks at table wine, espresso 77, inner peace, saw shack and happy family, who care about the neighborhood, the quality of their products, the appearance of their store and the diversity their business brings. 

It's time for the next wave, to continue that line of thinking i think.

There are a lot of naysayers who believe that the demographics of this neighborhood is the reason there Are so many eyeglass stores, pharmacies, dollar stores, hoochie mama, etc.

I hope you can prove them wrong.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »
great post, PtBass75--And let's not forget Rico Tinto.  It actually IS the weekend brunch spot of dreams that many posters here have imagined.  They put so much care into the food, presentation, music and decor.  Okay, no liquor license.  But, at least until Stew opens up, i give it the Grand Prize of 37th Avenue Dining award.  If you haven't been there yet, I can't recommend it enough.  As I have already made my way through most of the breakfast items and several of the tortas and tacos, I put my fate in the hands of the owner Victor yesterday.  He recommended the enchiladas and, sure enough, they were great. 

once again, best of luck, Stew and so nice to see your comments on this site.  You're gonna do great!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »