Author Topic: Airplane Noise (Part 2)  (Read 105049 times)

Offline jhjefe

• Citizen
Re: Airplane Noise (Part 2)
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »

Right now, I'm thinking that a mass letter-writing campaign to Crowley's office (Dromm is already on our side) to demand more hearings and more transparency from the FAA is the way to go. Dssjh points out that the last time this was an issue, that happened and then things quieted down for a while. That's my experience too; I've been in the neighborhood for eight years, and this has really only been bad since the runway reconstruction thing started less than a year ago. These government organizations tend to respond to squeaky wheels, so let's squeak!

Thank-you.  This is helpful.  Look,  we're being forced to defend the livability of our neighborhood.  This thread has yielded some good ideas.  Unless, any idea can be proven to be a waste of energy it shouldn't be dismissed - all valid paths should be explored.  So far, I haven't seen any compelling reason to dismiss the idea of a class action lawsuit.  Sounds like a great idea and should be discussed further - what better way to be the squeaky wheel as you so appropriately call for.  Calling it ridiculous and referring to those interested in learning more about it an incoherent mob is counter productive to the obvious intent of the thread.  You want to elaborate, suggest alternatives?  Great!  Please do.  If all you do is post to derail an idea without any good reasons or alternatives other users should call that out.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
  So far, I haven't seen any compelling reason to dismiss the idea of a class action lawsuit. 

Fair point. However, as theplansesland pointed out,  when people say "class action lawsuit", without referring to a law that has been broken, it often appears to be bluster.

If someone can here identify a law that is being broken with these spectacularly quality-of-life impacting flights and their noise, then that's a starting point. If not,  they should talk to lawyers, or identify an analogous suit that has been brought as precedent. 

Offline JH101

• Tourist
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
Maybe we should get the Media involved. NY1 has a weekly segment called NY1 for you which is pretty effective in getting issues resolved.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/contact-us.html

Offline jhjefe

• Citizen
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
  So far, I haven't seen any compelling reason to dismiss the idea of a class action lawsuit. 

Fair point. However, as theplansesland pointed out,  when people say "class action lawsuit", without referring to a law that has been broken, it often appears to be bluster.

If someone can here identify a law that is being broken with these spectacularly quality-of-life impacting flights and their noise, then that's a starting point. If not,  they should talk to lawyers, or identify an analogous suit that has been brought as precedent.

Let's see. 

1. who cares about what appears to be bluster to whom?
2. Discussion of involving lawyers has already been indicated on the thread.  OBV. 

what else are you adding?  oh, that's what i thought. 

Offline jhjefe

• Citizen
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
Maybe we should get the Media involved. NY1 has a weekly segment called NY1 for you which is pretty effective in getting issues resolved.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/contact-us.html

Yes!  Thank you!

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »

To quote an actual lawyer: "Vagueness in legal threats is the hallmark of meritless thuggery"; I would add that it makes you appear less formidable to your opponents and easily dismissed by gatekeepers to legal and political processes who can just say "oh, that crank".

You've been singularly aggressive to anyone that dares suggest that ideas that are put forward should have a grounding in reality before gathering a crowd to support them.

The amount of time people spend in an online community DOES have relevance for participation; people spend time and effort building a community consensus, norms and trust in interaction with each other online. For someone to come in after a few weeks on the board and say "time in  doesn't matter" is the same as someone coming into a neighborhood and saying "I'm new here, I want to ignore everyone's norms that have existed for a while and you should all listen to me now".

You are out of step with the culture - and people - of this board by attacking people WHO SHARE YOUR GOALS. Please accept this olive branch and stop attacking and trying to silence people (the very sin you accuse others of!) with one liners like "what are you adding" and "you troll".

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
^ Well said.

Offline jhjefe

• Citizen
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »

To quote an actual lawyer: "Vagueness in legal threats is the hallmark of meritless thuggery"; I would add that it makes you appear less formidable to your opponents and easily dismissed by gatekeepers to legal and political processes who can just say "oh, that crank".

Are you kidding?  We are on a forum exploring ideas.  trying to stay on track.  others, like you are, right now, are only serving to derail the discussion.  c'mon,  no one needs to look formidable right now.  please stay on topic.  let others brainstorm.  thanks.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
you, my dear, are not the sole arbiter of what can and can't be said out here. you are not the sole arbiter of what direction debate can take. you are not the sole arbiter of what "staying on topic" is.

you are entitled to speak. you are not entitled to tell others not to speak. you are not entitled to decide what direction a conversation will take. you are, in short, not as entitled as you obviously imagine.

Are you kidding?  We are on a forum exploring ideas.  trying to stay on track.  others, like you are, right now, are only serving to derail the discussion.  c'mon,  no one needs to look formidable right now.  please stay on topic.  let others brainstorm.  thanks.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »
We clearly all need a good night's sleep. And ideally, to be able to sleep in on a Sunday morning.

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Citizen
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
I got an email with this petition today so hopefully at least some here will want to sign it.  "It asks for help from our congressional reps around the country to support many of the same issues raised in the recent Letter from the House Congressional caucus to the House Subcommittee on Transportation."

https://www.change.org/p/members-of-congress-urge-congress-to-adopt-regulations-to-reduce-airplane-noise?recruiter=31196273&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

As far as politicians, I think Crowley might be part of the caucus they mentioned above. He is definitely a supporter so it's worth keeping him up to date on how many of his constituents support his efforts on airplane noise reduction. From what I've gathered, we really need attention and support from Senators Schumer and Gillibrand in order to gain some traction.

In my opinion, Melinda Katz is the key figure on the local level so everyone who is inclined should be in touch with her office.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
Thanks to those of you who are staying on topic and remembering one of the most important rules of this site:

"We're not strangers. Given the nature of this online community having real world connections to a real community (Jackson Heights and nearby neighborhoods) it's important to keep in mind that what happens here is not limited to the void of the internet. What you say, and how you behave here has an impact on (and will be read by) your neighbors. Please treat others with the same respect you would like to receive in return. This isn't just a random internet site with people you'll never meet."

To review the full set of rules for JHL, go to Rules and Guidelines for This Site

--Shelby2, Moderator

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »
From http://webtrak5.bksv.com/panynj4
Runway 13/31 will be closed from 9/18/15 10:00 PM to 9/20/15 12:00 PM for runway safety area, electrical, and maintenance work, subject to air traffic control needs and weather conditions.

Offline abu benuska

• Activist
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2015, 06:57:44 AM »
A new weekend tradition for me: wake up (be woken up) at 6am, file a noise complaint.

Offline jasonic

• Citizen
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »
A new weekend tradition for me: wake up (be woken up) at 6am, file a noise complaint.

Ditto. Driving me insane.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »