Author Topic: The Jackson Heights Chavurah  (Read 2061 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
The Jackson Heights Chavurah
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
Posted with permission of the author...

Shalom Chavarim!

There are Jews in Jackson Heights!?  YES! And some of have been talking for awhile about starting a chavurah right here!  Soooo-- LET'S DO IT!

A chavurah or havurah (Hebrew: "fellowship", plural chavuroth) is a small group of like-minded Jews who assemble for the purposes of facilitating Shabbat and holiday prayer services, sharing communal experiences such as lifecycle events, and Jewish learning. Chavuroth usually provide autonomous alternatives to established Jewish institutions and Jewish denominations.

Most chavurot place an emphasis on egalitarianism in the broad sense (of which gender egalitarianism is one piece), depending on participation by (and welcoming of) the entire community rather than top-down direction by clergy.

The above is a definition from Wikipedia--except for my addition of "and welcoming of". MY definition of "community" includes ALL Jews, Interfaith families, Gay and Lesbian families, singles, all ages raging from pre-natal to most mature.

The first meeting of The New Jackson Heights Chavurah will be:

Friday, January 4, 2008 @ 7PM

The place of our meeting will depend on the numbers of definite RSVPs I receive by December 1, 2007.

We should have a committee involved in planning the service--so, anyone interested in doing this--let me know.  It would be nice to have a mixture of experienced and novice individuals to provide a learning forum for those interested in expanding their knowledge of our liturgy.

So--Please RSVP whether you are coming to the January Chavurah and if you want to be on the service planning committee--to adrucker@spamarrest.com.

B'Shalom-

Abby Drucker

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:32:27 PM by toddg »

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: The Jackson Heights Chavurah
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »
Here's an update from the Jackson Heights Chavurah.  But first, for anybody wondering what Tu B'Shvat is about, it the Jewish "New Year for Trees."  Wikipedia has more.

Our next event will be a Tu B'Shvat Seder. It will be held on Sunday, January 27, 2008 from 5PM-7PM.  For this one, we will need definite RSVPs.  PLEASE call Eileen at 718-672-6399 and/or email Abby at adrucker@spamarrest.com.  The Chavurah will be meeting at a private apartment (further info provided to those who RSVP).  It is a wonderful, large space, with rooms for the kids to play separately if they so wish--but we hope they will have fun with us during the seder!

We need to plan how much of the special Tu B'Shvat foods to bring in.  This will NOT be a dinner, per se.  Just the fruits and nuts and wine and juice pertinent to the holiday we will be celebrating.  Anyone who is interested in going out for a full dinner afterwards, we can form a group.

I've included a little definition of Tu B'Shvat that I found on the web site www.ritualwell.org:

Originally just the day when trees were considered a year older, relevant in the ancient world for tithing purposes—Tu b’Shvat was transformed by the kabbalists of Safed into a celebration of both nature, its fruits, and the Divine "tree" reaching towards us.

At Tu b’Shvat seders (the four cups of wine borrowed loosely from the Passover seder), revitalized in modern times and inspired with an environmental consciousness, we drink the fruit of the vine and eat many different kinds of fruit from trees—from the tough hard walnut to the luscious pomegranate—evoking different aspects of the Divine and of humanity.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:36:38 PM by toddg »

Offline abbytd

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »
The Jackson Heights Chavurah is a gathering of Jews living in or near Jackson Heights that want to build a progressive Jewish community.  We are egalitarian, and welcome everyone who would like to participate in prayer and/or discussion of what it means to be a Jew in 21st century America.

Our next meeting will be on Friday, March 7, 2008 from 7PM-9PM.

We are also planning a Havdalah service followed by a Purim gathering on:
Saturday, March 22, 2008 from 6PM----

Please RSVP for either or both of these gatherings (we need to plan for chairs, etc):
adrucker@spamarrest.com
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:20:09 PM by Shelby2 »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »