Author Topic: Roosevelt Avenue Dance Clubs  (Read 45925 times)

Offline stacey

• Tourist
Roosevelt Avenue Dance Clubs
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »
I had heard things about Romanticos, I have been trying to gather info to shut-them down. 

I had also been told that they have prostitution in the basement.

I am going to make a formal inquiry to the officials, we do not need this filth here

I work in romanticos. and let me tell ya'll something.. this club is as clean a new roll of tissue paper.. infact this is one of the safest clubs out there... the girls (us) are friendly and fun and that bullshit about prostitution in the basement is crap.. thats the ladies restroom.. silly where no men are allowed at all.. we dance to lation music and drink with the guys to make money off the drinks... it aint even a strip club.. wtf u guys talkin.... too much nonsense goin on over here.. why dont ya'll go there and check it out for urself...

[Moderator Note:  This post has been edited to conform to JHLife's Rules and Guidelines.]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:34:07 AM by Chuckster »

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
Re: Roosevelt Avenue Dance Clubs
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »
Ya'll let's check it out.  I need a good latin club where I can work out this waistline. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:03:25 AM by Marlene »

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:18:38 AM »
Interesting article about Chibcha/Oxes.  I'm not sure whether to take this at face value... the owner may just be feigning innocence in order to gain advantage in a business dispute.  But who knows.

Courthouse News Service
Monday, June 15, 2009   Last Update: 4:20 AM PT
Strip Steak, Not Strip Club, Furious Owner Says
By ADAM KLASFELD

QUEENS (CN) - A businessman whose restaurant was honored as a pillar of the community by the New York City Council says he leased the place to someone on the condition that he would not turn it into a strip club, but that's just what the man did.

Jorge Alarcon claims that the Queens Borough President and the New York City Council both praised his restaurant, Chibcha, when he ran it. 

In December 2000 Queens declared a countywide "Chibcha Restaurant Day" for being "one of the best restaurants in the borough" whose "fine cuisine and wonderful Latino entertainment has made [it] one of the special and unique attractions in Jackson Heights and Queens."

Alarcon says New York City Council heaped more praise on Chibcha in July 2006, declaring that its "support for nonprofit events, political and humanitarian campaigns" made it an "outstanding contribution to the residents of New York City."

Months later, Alarcon decided to retire. He leased his restaurant to Miguel Rojas, under the provisions that Roja's company, MDG Lounge Corp., would secure a liquor and cabaret license and under no circumstances would allow "topless dancing or any other type of distasteful entertainment."

"Rojas now does business under the name Oxe's," the complaint states. "Alarcon just realized that this name spelled backwards is 'Sexo,' which means 'sex' in Spanish."

Oxe's offers exotic dancing and pole dancing and advertises on flyers that it has "the prettiest women in the tri-state area," Alarcon says.

He says the club has not paid him in full for the lease, and has violated its liquor and cabaret licenses.

Alarcon seeks money owed and damage for breach of contract. He is represented by Greg Zucker with Westerman Ball and Ederer.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
I'm not familiar at all with what may be going on behind the scenes at the former ChibCha, but I can say that the place was once considered a reputable business.  Many years back, it was known to be a classy supper/dinner club where patrons enjoyed good quality food and some dancing on special occasions.  The ChibCha was very popular among the Hispanic community during holiday seasons and my family knew people that enjoyed the elegant service it provided.  Whatever exists now is a sad shell of what used to be.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline shanz

• Tourist
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
What da fack.......I was in Romantico dance bar on Roosevelt av. 77 str. That place is off the hook. Hot girls to dance with, you can have a drink with tem. They can be lot of fun with. MORE POWER TO THEM.....!!!!!!1 YAH.....????QUESTION..CAN I ACTUALY HOOK UP WITH ONE? OR WHAT?! :rockon:

Offline erospolitico

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »
Shanz, it is actually borderline illegal for their to be girls to dance with at Romanticos, because the do not possess the necessary licence to permit dancing of any sort, and what they do there is similar to a strip club.  These types of establishment make Jackson Heights look sleazy. 

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 11:59:19 PM »
I've lived on Park Avenue with the rich folk and there is plenty of sleazy stuff going on there too!   :smiley6600:

Offline michaelb

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
Smug moral bigotry is a much bigger threat to Jackson Heights than any gray area cabaret bar.

What I consider the real evil to be is those that take advantage of others weaknesses and prey upon them.

That's funny, because what I consider *real* evil is people who think they know how the people who run these businesses and frequent the services of these businesses ought to be living their lives better than they themselves do.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:30:23 PM by michaelb »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »
you aren't technically allowed to dance in most bars. just because the girls dress like that doesn't mean that it's a travesty to all humanity that they are violating this law.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
when they break in and dance in my lobby, i'll worry.

otherwise, these places are far far far far better neighbors than their more "upscale" manhattan doppelgangers. as far as i've seen, the loosened tie idiots who patronize midtown brothels-cum-dance clubs are much worse to deal with than the folks in jh

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »
uggh, id kill myself if we traded these clubbers for striped shirts, untucked.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »