Author Topic: Proposed tower at 71-17 Roosevelt Ave  (Read 2966 times)

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
Re: Proposed tower at 71-17 Roosevelt Ave
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
It's definitely one of those projects that leaves you scratching your head, wondering who would want to live there. As if being adjacent to the BQE and 7 train weren't enough, I'm noticing that grand entrance on the side street in the last rendering. Isn't it lovely the way it's squeezed in among those private residences: I guess the developer ran out of the funds to buy off those home owners?

It just looks so out of place.

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 01:36:33 AM »
The older article from 2014 mentioned Gilman Architects as being involved and I think this may be the rendering of the building that they proposed based on the configuration of the adjacent highway, train tracks and surrounding buildings. Yes, I realize it makes the water appear much closer than reality but renderings often do things like this to emphasize views. The part of the building above the landscaped platform seems to have much less bulk than the current rendering. I'm sure the developer is trying to fit as many apartments in as possible to make as much money as they can.

I know many people, including myself, were skeptical that people would move into the somewhat new brick building on Roosevelt that looms over the 7 train at the 74th St station, but they did and I'm sure it will be the same here. We all (mostly) accept that we live so near an airport as we know what a great neighborhood this is. Housing is tight.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 01:36:33 AM »