Author Topic: Little Bangkok / Local Thai Boom  (Read 20117 times)

Offline Palermo

• Activist
Re: current Thai offerings
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »
Always been a fan of The Spicy Shallot.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Times feature on Pata Cafe (Thai) in Elmhurst
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/dining/pata-cafe-review-thai-food-elmhurst-queens.html

Few Ingredients, but a Mélange of Thai Flavors
"At Pata Cafe in Elmhurst, Queens, a tree climbs from the floor through the ceiling. It’s as if you’d popped through a trap door into a secret clubhouse. A stuffed monkey lounges on a branch, a homage to Bua Noi (Little Lotus), a gorilla who has spent her life in the rooftop zoo of the Pata department store in Bangkok."

Click link for full article

Offline fillmorep

• Citizen
Thai food in JH
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 04:51:28 PM »
NY Magazine's popular Grub Street gives Elmhurst/Woodside/JH big props for our Thai food. I knew Ayada would be on here, but was also pleased to see Kitchen 79. Excellent food and the nicest proprietor you'd ever want to meet...

http://www.grubstreet.com/bestofnewyork/absolute-best-thai-restaurants-in-nyc.html

Offline JacksonHeightsCPA

• Tourist
Re: Thai food in JH
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
This area is so amazing for Thai food.

Ayada, Kitchen 79 and Sripraphai never let you down.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
This article really just hits the tip of the iceberg. Most of the ones in the area would destroy any thai place in manhattan (excluding considerations for being upscale). Anything in Elmhurst and Woodside is pretty much as authentic as you can get (made for thai, by thai). One of my new years resolutions is to go to Boon Chu more often - it's always been a favorite but it's a little too far from me. I have been going to Playground a lot, resulting in my nearly dying from the heat (good for beer drinking though, and the longest happy hour in the city).

Offline kmjh

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 05:38:02 AM »
It's become a running joke here at home every time that commercial comes on (and it airs a LOT) where the young woman says this place in Manhattan is the "best Thai food in New York City" to say, "Well, you've never set foot in Queens (and the Woodside-Jackson Heights-Elmhurst corridor in particular), have you?"
We are particularly blessed to have so many great options for it so close here, particularly Kitchen 79 for its regional dishes not found elsewhere.
I was particularly glad to see the Grubstreet piece mention a favorite dish of mine from there (the one with Shrimp, mackerel, pumpkin, etc.).

Offline PizzaRat

• Citizen
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
I was happy to see Khao Kang getting a shoutout on the list, as well! Their food is consistently delicious and affordable, and their desserts are the kind I dream about  ;D

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
It's become a running joke here at home every time that commercial comes on (and it airs a LOT) where the young woman says this place in Manhattan is the "best Thai food in New York City" to say, "Well, you've never set foot in Queens (and the Woodside-Jackson Heights-Elmhurst corridor in particular), have you?"

I always laugh at that commercial and I looked up their reviews a few months ago because I was curious - apparently the food is not good and it's a tourist trap (but they say the space is pretty).

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Little Bangkok / Local Thai Boom
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
I've gone to Dek Sen about half a dozen times and really like it.It started out as a weak copy of Plant Love House but has now really found its voice. My three favorite Thai places within walking distance are Ayada, Khao Kang and Dek Sen.

Offline JA

• Citizen
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
The sheer volume and variety of these places is astounding. I would venture a guess that nowhere else in the United States does there exist such a dense and expansive clustering of Thai restaurants and groceries - even Thai Town in LA is dispersed as is the style over there. The intersection of 77th and Woodside alone contains Khao Kang, Ayada, Spicy Shallot, Pata Paplean, Thai Thai Grocery, Tea Cup Cafe, and a Thai salon. A single block of Roosevelt between 72 and 73 features Zabb, Autthouros, Playground, and Jaew Hon. I for one feel lucky to be in the midst of all of this.

As for favorites, different places have different draws. I take hardcore food enthusiast friends to Zabb, go to Playground for late-night comfort food and cheap Singha, book Ayada for groups, and frequent 79 for solo lunch and dinner because it has the best bang-for-buck lunch special in addition to an interesting beer selection. Playground holds a particularly special place in my heart, as does the Eim Khao chicken and rice shop down on Broadway.

I also second what has been said about Arunee. By far the least inspiring Thai food I have had in central queens, though I still prefer it to a majority of Thai places in Manhattan.

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
Just wanted to give a shout out to Sripraphai. I know it's become a bit of a cliche, and the spice level isn't the same as it was 17 years ago when I first started going there, but still, many of their dishes are wonderful in their balance and complexity. Plus, it's one of the few places in the area where in the spring and summer you can sit in a beautiful garden and sip a cocktail before your meal.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
Just to be fair to LA --- it's a city for driving. But also, they have complete supermarkets dedicated to their Thai community. I wish we were at their level. BUT - our level is awesome, no doubt about it.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
Very rarely have I seen any food as magnificent-looking as that cake.

NY Times names Dek Sen a Critic's Pick:

Thai Food to Hearten the Homesick at Dek Sen in Elmhurst, Queens

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
I finally tried Dek Sen tonight... the noodle soups were delicious!  And the crispy duck salad was excellent as well.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »