Author Topic: Jackson Theater  (Read 34339 times)

Offline earbears

• Mayor
Re: Jackson Triplex Theater on 82nd St closes doors for good
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »
Definitely the place to see great movies in the 50's and 60's. It started to get "sticky" in the 70's.

NY 1 carried the story this weekend.
So, JHBG, Danny Dromm and others are working on getting a new owner for The Jackson and The Earle.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
It was the place in the 50s and 60s too, youngster! :buck2:

Wait the movies had sound back then?  ::nudge nudge::

I kid I kid ...

I do stand corrected though .. it was the date place period!
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
saw a sign that said grand opening.  hopefully they renovated a little bit.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Jackson Triplex Theater on 82nd St
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »
Yahoo Movies shows listings at the theater for tomorrow, May 20!
http://movies.yahoo.com/showtimes-tickets/theaters/3022-jackson-heights-cinema/

The first films are two Bollywood films, Housefull and Kites.

With three screens to fill, I imagine the re-opening of this theater creates opportunities for the cultural and arts partnerships we were all dreaming about last year.  Anybody have any thoughts of how to get started?

Update: Kites had a splashy premiere in Manhattan and London yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:31:19 PM by toddg »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
I went by today and they had signss that they are reopening on Friday with new management. the names looked south asian.  I'm glad it's opening again. I want to see some movies.

Offline jjackflash

• Citizen
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
i hope they made it a single theater again.
Its not an investment....its a NEIGHBORHOOD!

Offline stephenalexvasquez

• Tourist
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
I received a phone call last night from a friend in Jackson Heights, she told me that the Triplex was open, under new management and a lease renewal. I immediately made my way to the theater to greet the owners. Upon arriving I noticed a camera crew interviewing the new owner of the theater, a middle aged Indian man. I approached one of them and expressed my appreciation for their vested interest in trying to restore the theater. He said it was an arduous undertaking, but they renewed the lease for five more years and they are working on making it a landmark.  ;)

Reparations and renovations are already underway, (they've added carpeting and painted the walls in the lobby) and the theater will have it's "official opening" this Saturday. I thought this would be of interest to everyone on the forum.

On another note, I am working in conjunction with owner's son to premiere my film at the theater, we are planning on having a red carpet screening (he's even willing to close the theater down just for this event). It would be great to have support from the community for this, as it is probably the first time something like this is attempted at the theater. We are thinking June 18.

This has been a childhood dream of mine and now its come true. I get a second chance at screening my first feature film in the theater that cultivated my love for film in the first place.

The name of the film is 'The Electro Wars'
You can find more information on it here: www.theelectrowars.com

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/04/26/the-electro-wars/
http://www.yrbmagazine.com/blog/post/3266/the-electro-wars-a-documentary
http://www.complex.com/blogs/2010/03/17/wake-n-watch-the-electro-wars-documentary-trailer/
http://www.brutblog.com/wordpress/2010/05/the-electro-wars-european-premiere-at-rialto-amsterdam-the-22th-of-may/comment-page-1/

I grew up in Jackson Heights my whole life, I am now 26 years old, and I am still very fond of the neighborhood. The subject matter in the film appeals to a younger demographic, and it has the support from many of them in the community, it would be a great event to bring publicity to the theater, give it a second life. I am actually screening a preview of the film in Amsterdam tomorrow and then in Vegas next week, but there has not been a NYC screening as of yet.

Offline julesnyc

• Activist
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »
This sounds so promising!  I'm delighted to hear that the owners are putting some money into renovations and that they are open to working with local filmmakers.  Hopefully this means that the Jackson Heights Film Festival will have a place to call home sometime in the near future.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
I walked in here last night. everyone was gone, but the place was open. some things were painted, smelled fine, and the ceiling of the auditorium is still amazing. I hope they will make it the inviting place it should be.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »
A website is now live: Jackson Heights Cinema

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 07:44:30 AM »
awesome!

Kites was such a wonderful story.....i will definitely be there!

Offline enzoem

• Tourist
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »
It was great to hear about the re-opening. I just wrote about it last night and have a photo of the marquee. See link.
http://enzoem.blogspot.com/2010/05/jackson-heights-theater.html

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »
The Jackson Heights Cinema, formerly known as the Triplex getting ready to premiere the Indian film, "Endhiran the Robot."

Indian film to premiere at Jackson Heights Cinema
The Chuckster has spoken!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »