Author Topic: Jackson Theater  (Read 34016 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Jackson Theater
« on: July 16, 2008, 01:16:12 AM »
I just went to the movie theatre on 82nd for the first time last week. Woahhh. Does anyone have any interesting information on this?

I am so intrigued. That room is tremendous. I imagine it has a lot of history to it. Also, I can see so much potential to it. The only bad part is the quality of the projector is pretty bad.

what do you think?

Offline KC

• Activist
Re: Jackson Theater
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:35:12 AM »
That theater is such an amazing space, and really one of the treasures of the neighborhood.  I would LOVE to see it fully restored.

I don't know much about its history, but I wanted to say that not only is it an gorgeous space, but it also has managers who are very responsive to the community's needs.  A few years back, we brought about 200 adult ESOL students to a free screening of Maria Full of Grace there, and the space and time of the theater staff were donated by the theater. 

Online toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
From Cinema Treasures, here's a description of the Jackson Triplex.

And here's a list of all the other old theaters in the area:
Colony Theatre                      Jackson Heights, NY       â€¦          
Boulevard Theatre                  Jackson Heights, NY      Open          
Eagle Theatre                        Jackson Heights, NY      Open          
Fair Theatre                          Jackson Heights, NY      Open          
Jackson Heights Airdrome         Jackson Heights, NY      Closed   
Jackson Triplex                      Jackson Heights, NY       Open       
Polk Theater                         Jackson Heights, NY       Closed/Demolished

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »
The theater is beautiful.  For those long time residents the Boulevard Theater on Northern boulevard between 82-83 was also very grand.  it is a shame that it is now Natives, Bingo etc. I am copying a description of the Jackson from a great web site called cinema treasures.  I will also post the link to that site.

Also known as Jackson Theatre
 Jackson Heights, Queens, NY
40-31 82nd Street, Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, United States(map)
Screens: Triplex
Style: Unknown
 Function: Movies
Seats: 1500
Chain: Unknown
 Architect: Herbert J. Krapp
Firm: Unknown

The Jackson is an old vaudeville era theater that has held on to this day as a movie house. The balcony has been halved to allow for two small upstairs theaters that are pretty lousy. However, the main auditorium, with around 1,000 seats, its original stylings intact, and Dolby digital stereo, is arguably the best "Cinema Treasure" theater still operating in Queens.  

http://cinematreasures.org

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
Todd, you beat me to the post.  Sorry for the almost duplicate information.

Online toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
Sorry about that!

Here's a photo of the original auditorium:

And more...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:12:23 AM by toddg »

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »
I am 46 and in my younger days  :) I remember this being a beautiful theater.  My late mother who would have been 84 had wonderful memories there herself.

The last tme it look fairly decent is when I went to see E.T. 
I've taken my children there--YUCK they say 

I would love to see someone restore this theater too.
The deco blue glass sconces and all...

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:00:58 PM »
Every time I drive the by RKO Keith on Northern and Main, my heart breaks. I was only in there once and it was spectacular and made an indelible impression on me. I can still see the interior of that theatre.  Anyone have any pics?   I've never been in the Jackson Theatre.  Wasn't (isn't) there a theatre on 82nd street where Woolworth/Chase/Duane Reade/ABC is?

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
The theater on 82nd Street was called The Colony Theater. It was a small one but very comfortable.

Both the Jackson and the Boulevard Theaters were magnificent. The Blvd was off-off-off broadway.

I remember when I was very young seeing special live programs for children along with kid movies and cartoons. It was lots of fun. I 'graduated' from 6th grade at that theater. There was a large stage, with wings which included dressing rooms, backstage areas and the sort. This is now Natives Theater. Schools rent the facilities for shows -I know The Renaissance has rented it in the past.

Years ago, there was a movement to have the Blvd Theater landmarked as a remembrance of the live Vaudeville shows from the past. It wasn't successful as we can tell. It was beautiful.

Does anyone know the history of the Jackson?

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:36:57 PM »
Every time I drive the by RKO Keith on Northern and Main, my heart breaks. I was only in there once and it was spectacular and made an indelible impression on me. I can still see the interior of that theatre.  Anyone have any pics?

The last time I went to the RKO Keith must have been in the late 70s to early 80s.  Back then, the theatre was already on its way down in terms of maintenance.  You can find some more information on the theatre at the Cinema Treasures website posted above by Eddiestjohns and Toddg.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »
Yep, the Keith was not doing well. However, the lobby and the statues were wonderful (that was the landmarked item). It was gaudy and old and beautiful.

Offline KC

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
You know, I took my little girl (22 months old) to her very first movie in a theater on Saturday!!!!  We went to see Wall E at the Jackson Theater.  She loved it, and it was really a great experience all around. 

I told a whole bunch of people about it, with all sorts of tales of clever things that she did, and how surprised I was that she really sat through the whole movie, etc.  Over and over again people said things like "Oh my!  Is that place safe?"  or "I've never been in there.  Was it clean?"  I was really shocked that so many neighborhood residents had such a bad impression of the theater.  As I said in my earlier post, I think that the theater itself is spectacular, and that the managers are positive, contributing members of the community. 

I hope this thread serves to bring more people through the door. 

PS - Wall E was great, and really worth seeing even if you are an adult without kids in tow.  :)

Offline robl

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
Ah the Jackson Theater. I used to go there all the time. Back when it was a single screen theater I remember the left hand side was a kids only section and they used to have matronly women shushing the kids and scolding them.

I remember seeing Earthquake and Rollercoaster in Sensurround at the Jackson. I think the last time I was in there was for the film The Hitcher and it was split into three screens.

I've read somewhere that they play the films in English with Spanish subtitles these days?

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
I remember the matron at the Jackson. Boy was she tough to us kids. Yep, you had to sit on the side until you were 16 or were with someone 16 or older. Once, my brother pretended to be 16 so we could sit in the middle. He even had me practice telling the matron that he was really 16.

That memory brought back a smile.  ::)
Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

Offline JH1978

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
 :police:  I worked in the Jackson Theatre while going to Newtown H.S. in 1986.  I worked there for about 9 months.  Last time I went there was to see The Crow.  There was something wrong with the reel and there was a 20 min delay in the middle of the film.
Live every day as if it's your last and eventually it will be.  You'll be fully prepared.  George Carlin

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »