Author Topic: Coming Soon: Oceanic Boil  (Read 19495 times)

Offline Run2020

• Citizen
Re: Coming Soon: Oceanic Boil
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »
I've actually considered opening up a New Orleans and Cajun/Creole based place (bar/restaurant) in Jackson Heights.  Those rents though!

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
sounds like it might be a little like this joint.  one can only hope.
 http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2014/03/crazy-crab-flushing-restaurant.html

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
lol. posted something similar on this thread back in november.....great minds think alike :)

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
Run2020, seems like 'those rents' are what is leading restauranteurs to consider Roosevelt and Northern, especially Northern. 

I also have to wonder about 82nd St. between Roosevelt and 37th Ave. About as busy as 74th St., 82nd only has fast food restaurants and a Columbian bakery. I wonder if anyone would consider making a sitdown restaurant there?  RadioShack is shutting its doors after all.  I'm not an old-time Jackson Heights resident so I wonder if there ever was any quality restaurants on that strip.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »
According to the Kazantzakis book, yes. 82nd Street was filled with "boutiques, shops and restaurants". But, apparently, to desire that mix there now is courting gentrification and destroying the character of the neighborhood.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 04:59:14 PM »
Run2020, seems like 'those rents' are what is leading restauranteurs to consider Roosevelt and Northern, especially Northern. 

I also have to wonder about 82nd St. between Roosevelt and 37th Ave. About as busy as 74th St., 82nd only has fast food restaurants and a Columbian bakery. I wonder if anyone would consider making a sitdown restaurant there?

There's a clothing store on 82nd that is closing. If I recall, the landlord wants $300,000 per year, or $25,000 per month, in rent.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »
Are stores on that street really doing $800 a day AFTER operating expenses (insurance. staff, stock)?  Hard to believe.  And, if not, back to the age old question--how DOES this high rent thing work?

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
Redge, I believe you're referring to fever?  Nice big space, it would be perfect for a restaurant. Crazy insane rent price though! 

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
Redge, I believe you're referring to fever?  Nice big space, it would be perfect for a restaurant. Crazy insane rent price though!

Yes, Fever. One of the problems with opening a restaurant there is, as you say, the rent. It's prohibitive.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
According to the Kazantzakis book, yes. 82nd Street was filled with "boutiques, shops and restaurants". But, apparently, to desire that mix there now is courting gentrification and destroying the character of the neighborhood.
boutiques, shops and restaurants would be awesome. chipotle, panera and walgreens would not. we'll get the latter, not the former.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
But it doesn't have to be an either/or world, no change (particularly as change is inevitable, as proven by any trip down memory lane) or GlobalCorp. San Francisco, in particular (and not in isolation) has done a good job in its historic neighborhoods of incentivizing landlords to keep small businesses that flourished early in the neighborhoods history and allowing other new, small , local owner operated businesses to come in. You can encourage growth without encouraging cancer.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »
Is this restaurant opening?

Signs are now down.

Offline lvvs3

• Tourist
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
Oceanic Boil ** our liquor license is approve !! :) hope to see you guys soon !! :)

HEAD waitress Maggie! :)

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »
Oceanic Boil ** our liquor license is approve !! :) hope to see you guys soon !! :)

HEAD waitress Maggie! :)

Any movement on this restaurant?

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
It's beginning to feel like these new restaurants that are supposedly on the way are actually pranks of some kind.

An alternative explanation is that it's actually impossible to pull off opening a new restaurant in JH. Although Bachue managed it. But their owners already had one or two restaurants in the neighborhood.

Where was this one supposed to be again?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »