Author Topic: Coming Soon: Oceanic Boil  (Read 19600 times)

Offline petster

• Council Member
Re: Coming Soon: Oceanic Boil
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »
I don't think that any restaurant owner would tolerate their employees watching TV while working.  I totally understand TV's in sports bars where you eat and watch soccer, or baseball, or hockey. It's great fun.   If I'm going out to eat with friends and family, it is for me a big "NO NO". Your going for good food and to interact and enjoy the people you are with. The event is about the "food" For me, the TV's are a  visual and auditory distraction.

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:21 AM »
There was a lot of activity there yesterday - it looks as if they will be opening soon!

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »

As a side note, why in the world do business owners use such obviously gender specific language?

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »

As a side note, why in the world do business owners use such obviously gender specific language?

Ignorance of the law.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 10:08:34 PM »
I don't buy it. It has been prohibited to state a preference based on sex since 1964, in the very same act which prohibited stating a preference based on race, national origin, or religion. If they know they can't require "whites only" or state "no Irish need apply" (which I think they do) then they know they can't require specifically men or women for a position.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
not everyone is aware of the intricacies of laws regarding every nuance of their profession/business.

and yes, i know ignorance of the law is not a legitimate defense in any court.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »
The Civil Rights Act isn't an intricacy of the law.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
we're talking about people living in America in 2016.....you expect ninth grade level education, you're going to be disappointed.

The Civil Rights Act isn't an intricacy of the law.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2016, 10:47:31 PM »
Most people in America in 2016 know about the Civil Rights Act. They most certainly know what a protected class is.
(Except for mouth breathers)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2016, 12:01:40 AM »
i admire your optimism.

i wish i shared it.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2016, 11:43:37 AM »
 It seems to be a common thing in this neighborhood, especially amongst Spanish-speaking restaurants. I see in the windows all the time  "Se necessita mesera."   I don't recall restaurants asking for waiters, or meseros, as well.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
My guess would be that's a cultural thing. If there are strong gender roles culturally, I can see someone thinking they can just ignore that stating a gender requirement for a position is a-okay while stating "no blacks" or "Christians only" would not be.

People are pretty litigious, and I think they are perfectly aware that in housing and job applications and interviews, questions and requirements about race, religion, national origin, and sex gives an opening for a lawsuit. Why many restauranteurs are so stupid as to state they will only consider a certain gender for a particular position is puzzling.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »
Why many restauranteurs are so stupid as to state they will only consider a certain gender for a particular position is puzzling.

It's also major Broadway productions!

http://www.classicalite.com/articles/40107/20160330/hamilton-non-whites-casting-call-violate-actor-equity-union-standards.htm

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »