Author Topic: Jahn's Closed- Renovation  (Read 4919 times)

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
Jahn's Closed- Renovation
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:07 AM »
It was papered up and said it would reopen next week.
They are in need of a renovation. It is a big space, which the community could rev up.
All the best to this neighborhood institution.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
Re: Jahn's Closed- Renovation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
 Seems like a family restaurant/ice cream parlor at that address could be such a money maker in our neighborhood, if done correctly.  The fact they're only closing for a week doesn't give me the feeling of hope that this institution will emerge with a fresh new face.  There's so much nostalgia that they could cash it on. Old photos of Jahns restaurants of the past, re-creating some of the glass that was prevalent at other Jahns locations, etc. And an update of the menu wouldn't hurt either.

In the very least, I'm hoping that they take care of their water stained panel ceiling.    It's gross.

Offline reeta08

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
Seems like a family restaurant/ice cream parlor at that address could be such a money maker in our neighborhood, if done correctly.  The fact they're only closing for a week doesn't give me the feeling of hope that this institution will emerge with a fresh new face.  There's so much nostalgia that they could cash it on. Old photos of Jahns restaurants of the past, re-creating some of the glass that was prevalent at other Jahns locations, etc. And an update of the menu wouldn't hurt either.

In the very least, I'm hoping that they take care of their water stained panel ceiling.    It's gross.

Couldn't agree more. Bareburger does so well because it is seemingly quality food and really family friendly. Jahn's has an amazing brand, families would love to go there if it was nice again.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
Family friendly? Jahn's is not even customer friendly.  Once my partner and I were there some time ago and wanted to order ice cream.  My partner asked for a taste and was refused--iI believed by one of the manager/owners.  Since then I rarely go there, and is usually one of the last diner/coffee shops I consider in the neighborhood.  Maybe I will try again after the makeover...the coffee ice cream is pretty good.

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
It's a restaurant, not a Carvel.  I don't go into restaurants and ask for a sample of their desserts before I order, and if I did, I would not be offended if refused.  I think that you're too used to the way that ice cream and frozen yogurt shops operate and you're reflecting that impression on a different business model.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »
I would never even think to ask for a sample at a restaurant. That sounds so odd. The servers and staff at Jahn's are  very hospitable. I ALWAYS see them assisting their elderly patrons.  They know them all by name. The food is certainly not gourmet but diner quality.

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »
I agree, I love Jahn's, and I like the decor too - I hope they haven't renovated too much.  I've always found everone who works there to be very friendly and hospitable.  My fantasy is that when I'm at that older age, I'll be able to eat at Jahn's.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »
I've always been treated well there. I love this neighborhood institution. It must be tough to close and lose business. I hope their renovations went well for them.

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 10:33:22 PM »
I am happy to see that  Jahn's renovation is excellent. Charming and retro with the new Tiffany styled (retro) lighting.
This revamp is just what Jackson Heights needed-it recalls a time when Jackson Heights was charming and inviting.
Oh, did I mention that one bathroom is handicapped accessible?!
Bravo Jahns!
(and the prices remain the same)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Just walked by Jahn's.  Jam packed, folks two and three deep waiting to be seated.  Granted, this is Sunday Brunch, so any place should be hopping, but I've noticed thicker business there all week.  It's just like with the Saw Shack, a bit of tasteful renovation can make all the difference, as people eat with their eyes more than anything else.

Good luck to them and we'll most certainly going there again!

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
Agreed Palermo.   Although not extensive, the simple renovations provide a more inviting, cleaner feeling atmosphere. The bathrooms at Jahns were dingy, and the stained ceiling was unappetizing. Both have been corrected.  And I really like the Tiffany style lamps.   I had family in from out of town, and took them all there for breakfast. I wouldn't have considered Jahns in its old state.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
I stopped in to let them know it looked really good, and noted I wished they delivered.  Peter said they were considering it, and it would probably happen soon.  That would be a great thing.  :)   I hope it works out well for them, the staff is always friendly and I've always been treated very well.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »