Author Topic: Bachue  (Read 21166 times)

Offline amsci

• Citizen
Re: New Restaurant on 37th and 86th southeast corner
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
the silhouette of a semi-clad woman who appears to be wearing something like a loin cloth. What is the meaning of this?

[Moderator's Note: Merged with previous thread]

Likely this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachu%C3%A9

The goddess Bachué (from the Chibcha language "the one with the naked breast"), is a mother goddess that according with the muisca colombian mythology is the mother of humanity.

Haven't seen the interior, but the logo in and of itself isn't troubling IMHO.

Offline will4food

• Resident
Re: 86-02 37th Avenue (Former Listo el Pollo / Dragon Seed)
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
Wow.  So many haters here.  I, too, have seen the restaurant's interior and it looks quite sophisticated and spacious with a huge bar and a dining room sporting great lighting fixtures.  So much better looking than any of the other eating establishments on 37th Avenue.  And the chef promises a creative menu.  Let's welcome our newest neighbor and give this place a try.

Offline amsci

• Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
I agree will4food... maybe I haven't lived here long enough, but I don't get why folks are already getting their pitchforks out.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new joint. If it weren't so dang hot I'd walk over there and snoop the interior. haha :)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
it may be that some of us are jaded. but the look of the place (so far) and the website have all the earmarks of a drinking establishment that's designed to facilitate hookups. and as far as promising creative food? McDonald's says their new burgers are "artisinal."

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
The website uses words put together that make absolutely no sense. It seems a lot of money went into this place....we will see as to the food if it's all about that....or not.    I'm hoping for the best but expecting the least. Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised.

Offline amsci

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree that the copy is pretty gnarly.  ;D

I want to think that it's placeholder text (since much of the site is incomplete and for the sake of my sanity).  But then, why not just use some Lorem Ipsum?

Oh well, wait and see I guess!

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Twitter: @bachueny
Instagram: bachue_restaurant

By the way, my understanding is that the restaurant that the owner of Margaritas is opening next to the Army Surplus store will be opening soon.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:09:04 PM by Stew »

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »
Okay, thank you, so now I know that the image of the woman has a cultural/mythological meaning. Not having a clue about that, to me it looked a little like what I mentioned before. I didn't write the name down and Google it and thus discover what the image is supposed to represent. Maybe they should include some words in their logo or a tagline or something to convey the meaning of the name. And re: "haters," people are merely expressing opinions which, even if negative, hardly constitute "hate." Some people might find the decor sophisticated, while others might find the same decor garish. I agree with the person who said it looks like it will be more of a bar-scene type place than a family restaurant. But I guess we'll see.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
Just dropped by Bachue. There's a hole in the plywood enclosure that gives a clear view of the interior.

The design looks clean. Long bar with three large flat screen televisions. Can't tell if there are TVs on the other walls. Tables appear to have stone tops. Floor is either wood or a wood synthetic.

As everyone knows, a couple of blocks west there's also Margaritas and the new place that the owners of Margaritas are opening in the large space between the Army Navy Surplus store and the former Subway.

There's some interesting food coming out of Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena. Hopefully one of the new restaurants will capture that.

It looks like Bachue is fairly close to opening.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »
I don't know about you, but "three large screen TVs" in a restaurant screams STAY AWAY....

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
I don't know about you, but "three large screen TVs" in a restaurant screams STAY AWAY....

Sadly, I agree.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »
Yo tambien.

Offline mchafkin

• Citizen
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
I'm not a fan of TVs-in-restaurants, but that's a pretty high bar in Jackson Heights. Even the best spots have TVs, unfortunately. (The only restaurant I can think of that doesn't have them is Casa del Chef, but that's not really in JH.)

Anyway, I'm keeping an open mind about this place. I don't see the point of dissing it before it's even open.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 02:11:41 PM »
I agree mchafkin.  Remember all that back and forth about the refrigerator units in the new organic market before it opened?  Turned out ok imo.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
I agree mchafkin.  Remember all that back and forth about the refrigerator units in the new organic market before it opened?  Turned out ok imo.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »