Author Topic: Bachue  (Read 22446 times)

Offline redge

• Activist
Re: 86-02 37th Avenue (Former Listo el Pollo / Dragon Seed)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »
I don't quite understand why you would make that allegation without knowing for sure, or at least trying to find out.  If it concerns you, there's an email address for contacting Blue Eden.

Further on this, as of now the people behind this restaurant are no longer using Blue Eden's work/video/intellectual property to promote their business.

Draw your own conclusion.

Mine is that it now looks pretty obvious that they were indeed ripping off the people who made the video. And yes, I do have a concern/problem with that, because I think that people, including artists, should be paid for their work. I'm not big on theft of people's labour.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:03:30 PM by redge »

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
This kind of BS is infuriating.

The people behind Bachue restaurant have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not well in excess of a million, renovating the space.

Meanwhile, their interface with the public is a cheap but seemingly slick website that owes its slickness to stealing other people's work. Now it looks like Bachue, given the choice between being honest and paying a license fee for that work, a fee that I suspect is not exactly exorbitant, has now gone for a still photo that will be dumped in exchange for another if the photographer finds out and asks to be paid for his/her work.

This mentality is part and parcel of the attitude of far too many restaurant owners, who are not only opposed to paying employees a decent wage, but engage in widespread wage theft. If you're prepared to do something as chintzy as steal somebody's video, God help the dishwasher, especially if he/she is "illegal" and/or doesn't speak English.

Meanwhile, Buchue's description of itself on its About page (interestingly only in English) is not only pretentious, but barely literate.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:08:54 PM by redge »

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
I don't quite understand why you would make that allegation without knowing for sure, or at least trying to find out.  If it concerns you, there's an email address for contacting Blue Eden.

Further on this, as of now the people behind this restaurant are no longer using Blue Eden's work/video/intellectual property to promote their business.

Draw your own conclusion.

The video is still up on the restaurant's website. 

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »

The video is still up on the restaurant's website.

Not on iOS, it isn't, where the owners are running a still photo that is not credited and has no apparent connection to the restaurant's food.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
Redge, you're entitled to your opinions, but trashing other businesses isn't a great way to build good will in the community if you're about to open a business of your own.   I hope your new venture lives up to the standards you're setting for others.

[Moderator's note: We temporarily took this thread off-line for review.  No changes were made.  But please remember that JH Life is not a place for unsubstantiated accusations or speculation about others' motives.  Please review our rules.]

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
Redge may have been a bit too vociferous in his comment (why am I assuming Redge is male?) but he makes good points.  I looked up that website and also got a bad impression of the place well before it even exists. Why don't business owners understand that a website is their calling card and it needs to be professional and comprehensible? I actually see a lot of restaurant websites that don't make it easy to find the information you are looking for when looking for a place to eat. And I agree, of course, that creative people should be paid for their work.

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
in my opinion Redge makes perfect sense....be it "he" or "she" as does ljr.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
I sure see a lot of assuming going on! 

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »
We spoke with the owner. The restaurant will be basically Columbian but more of a family restaurant with not just Columbian food. The chef is Columbian and Japanese, So there will be lots of different things

He seems very nice. He also has another restaurant in Astoria. He hopes to open in 3 weeks. There have been lots of delays due to landmarks insisting on things to be done, changed, etc.

He will deliver!!!

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 11:13:20 PM »
I hope it is better than dorm food. Columbia must have terrific graduates who've eaten the food and still want to go into the restaurant business.

The food of the country, Colombia, is most likely not like institutional academic food.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 07:33:39 PM »
I hope it is better than dorm food. Columbia must have terrific graduates who've eaten the food and still want to go into the restaurant business.

The food of the country, Colombia, is most likely not like institutional academic food.

:)  Thank you ECG…my sentiments exactly. ;)

Offline ljr

• Mayor
New Restaurant on 37th and 86th southeast corner
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
I think this place was the subject of a previous thread which I now cannot find. Is this the place that was being criticized because of its website and the suspicion that the owner was using images he/she did not pay for? I'm not sure. However, I just walked past the site and what is up with that name/logo? Has anyone noticed? The name/logo (name begins with an H but I neglected to write it down) features the silhouette of a semi-clad woman who appears to be wearing something like a loin cloth. What is the meaning of this? It's supposed to be a bar/restaurant, but this makes it look more like a "gentleman's club." I peeked in through a window in the construction shed and looked at the decor and all I can say is...no. Just—no. Disappointing. Just my opinion, of course.

[Moderator's Note: Merged with previous thread]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:36:58 AM by toddg »

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: New Restaurant on 37th and 86th southeast corner
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 09:11:08 PM »
It's called Bachue. http://www.bachueny.com/ 

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: New Restaurant on 37th and 86th southeast corner
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 05:40:46 AM »

yeah I saw this the other day... wondered when it was going to hit the boards. I think this is going to be like some of the bar restaurants on northern blvd. Prob interested food and drinks but expected it to be a little loud for me.

...... I just walked past the site and what is up with that name/logo? Has anyone noticed? The name/logo (name begins with an H but I neglected to write it down) features the silhouette of a semi-clad woman who appears to be wearing something like a loin cloth. What is the meaning of this? It's supposed to be a bar/restaurant, but this makes it look more like a "gentleman's club." I peeked in through a window in the construction shed and looked at the decor and all I can say is...no. Just—no. Disappointing. Just my opinion, of course.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
Yeah, maybe the food will be good, but the aesthetics are unfortunate. On a happier note, Urubamba finally got their license to serve wine and beer, I noticed as I passed by yesterday. I really like that place and think their decor/atmosphere  is charming.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »