Author Topic: Bachue  (Read 22447 times)

Offline hfm

• Mayor
Re: 86-02 37th Avenue (Former Listo el Pollo / Dragon Seed)
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »
I don't know about you, but "three large screen TVs" in a restaurant screams STAY AWAY....

As long as NFL is dominating them on Sunday I'll stroll in. :)

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
I don't know about you, but "three large screen TVs" in a restaurant screams STAY AWAY....

Is that some sort of sportsing group?

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »

I love it when people act like they don't know anything or couldn't care less about sports and call it sportsing and sportsball.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:36:16 PM by hfm »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 10:41:38 PM »
some people really dig lacrosse....

Offline DijoninJH

• Citizen
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »
Yeah, some people do, most of Long Island and entire Baltimore/DC region.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »

I love it when people act like they don't know anything or couldn't care less about sports and call it sportsing and sportsball.
I exist but to serve.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 10:26:12 PM »
The plywood enclosure is gone although brown paper covers the windows.

The website currently says 18 days to opening, although that changes regularly.

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »
The restaurant opened on Sunday for the parade and we went to check it out yesterday.

Its a slick interior, not my favorite, but still all in all satisfactory.  In addition to flatscreens behind the bar, there is another on the western wall.  There is also a second floor dj booth, so that probably indicates some of the restaurant's aspirations.  For some reason, they cheapen the furniture by laying out paper placemats on the white tables, but the plateware was nice, square/rectangle style, flat white.  Paper office depot printed menus with a limited food selection.

Of the three waitresses and two busboys, I don't think any of them have spent more than a week in food service.  Though polite and cheery, they had no idea what they were doing.  It took an hour for us to get our entree and we noticed other patrons with long faces in our predicament.  Conversely, we saw some folks arrive, be seated, served and leave while we waited.  The waitress explained that these were friends of the owner who called ahead, which shows either poor judgement on the part of the owner, or an awful ability to fib on the part of the waitress (heck, you are a new place, just make up a little bs about the place still getting its swimming legs).  But I had my wife, $5 coronas (what will it take to get drafts on 37th Avenue?!) and no particular plans, so there are worse places to be on a lazy summer evening.  We ordered another round as we waited which should have certainly been on the arm, but that did not happen.  Only open 3 days, maybe service pulls together, though given that table service in Las Margheritas has been spotty for years, maybe it won't.

As shakey as the front of the house was, what the back put out was marvelous.  Between the two of us, our starter was the Cilantro salad ($9), filled with avocado, eggs, lettuce and chicken salad.   Our main was the picada ($25) which was overflowing with well cooked pork, flank steak, sirloin and costillo, along with excellently fried yucca, plantains and potatoes.  It was more then the two of us could eat.  The green sauce they have is wonderful.  Delicious and I thought well priced for the quantity and quality you got. 

They have retractable awnings out all along the western side of the building, so I do not know if they are shooting for proper sidewalk seating, but that would be absolutely fabulous.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
I can see some photos on the restaurant's FB page, but I'm not sure if privacy settings might prevent others from seeing them.  (I might only be able to see them because I'm friends with the person who posted them.)

But in any case, here's the page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bachue-Restaurant-bar/1634512796765477?fref=ts

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
For this time of year, it's great that the whole window wall on 86th Street opens up. But my TV fears were realized, that joint is LOUD. Friend of mine just got back from Mexico City, he said sitting in a crowded restaurant there (50 to 60 diners) you could sit back in your chair and have a pleasant conversation. Here, the standard seems to be leaning forward and yelling to be heard.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
Some observations tonight (Saturday) at 10:00 pm ...

The place is about 1/3 full.

When I entered a few minutes ago, there were two serious bouncers at the front door.

The owners may have spent a lot of money on the overall buildout, but not on the dining area.

The design is clean but reminds one of a nice cafeteria. The bar top is fake marble and the table tops are plastic. The bar stools are cheap and uncomfortable. It's a space that would have come off as trendy in the mid 80s to mid 90s.

It's noisy. The surfaces (floor, walls, ceiling) are all hard and there is no sound absorption. This means that the sound is reverberating/echoing everywhere.

There are seven large televisions, three over the bar, two over the west wall and two over the north wall. At the moment, none of them is playing sound.

The staff come across as eager.

But the place is fundamentally sterile. If it's going to survive, it's going to need a late night young crowd and loud music.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:36:48 PM by redge »

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 10:34:36 PM »
We spoke with the owner. The restaurant will be basically Columbian but more of a family restaurant with not just Columbian food. The chef is Columbian and Japanese, So there will be lots of different things

I remembered this comment from awhile ago. I just read the latest comment about the "two serious bouncers" at the door.Not exactly a "family restaurant" atmosphere. I remember seeing a sign at the door of another neighborhood restaurant, this one on Northern, that people have recommended on this board. The sign said something about mandatory coat checking. Sounds like they are concerned about drugs and/or weapons. That sign alone would prompt me to never set foot in that establishment. Bouncers? Same thing. Not my idea of a pleasant atmosphere for a night out. Maybe the food is good, who knows? I would still feel the same way. Not the kind of place I want to spend time at. Not an atmosphere I am comfortable in. So--It's disappointing in a neighborhood that could sorely use more nice dining options.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »
it's been clear from day one that "food" wasn't going to be a priority here. unless they offer something the couple dozen similar places on roosevelt don't have, i doubt they'll last that long. landlord will be good with that; a new tenant means a nice hefty rent hike.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
So now it's 10:45 pm and they've started jacking up the volume on the music.

What music?

80s disco and rock, which fits perfectly with the design of the place.

I want to come back here in a couple of weeks to find out whether it's found a clientele.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 11:01:23 PM »
i doubt they'll last that long. landlord will be good with that; a new tenant means a nice hefty rent hike.

It's too cafeteria looking for any restauranteur to take over the existing space without big changes to the front of house.

I think that the current owners are serious about this, but that the design is a big miss.

Don't forget that someone earlier said that the food (which I haven't tried) is good.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 11:01:23 PM »