Author Topic: Bachue  (Read 21084 times)

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
Bachue
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:28:19 AM »
Does anyone have an idea as to what is planned for this site? I was doing laundry when they drilled holes into the concrete and placed wooden poles around the front, is that part of their property line? They've gutted the place long ago, but isn't that area still considered Historic Jackson Heights?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Corner of 86th Street and 37th Avenue: THE OLD DRAGON SEED SITE
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
I don't have any information, but posted a link to some vintage pictures here: http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=264.0

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:43:42 AM »
I spoke to a guy outside the site.  I think he might have been on the construction crew but I'm not certain.  He said something about "international Latin cuisine" and said it will look very different with windows lining the place as it goes down 86th.  I envision maybe it will look something like La Nueva on 85th, but that's just a guess.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »
Hopefully not with a bunch of multicolored flashing LED signs.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
Hopefully not with a bunch of multicolored flashing LED signs.

True.  I'm hoping someone with a good sense of design is in charge of this one.  :)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
86-02 37th Avenue (Former Listo el Pollo / Dragon Seed)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
Curiosity struck, so after some Googling, I found some information on what we can expect to see once construction work is finished at 86-02 37th Avenue.

It appears that a restaurant by the name "Fonda" is slated to open at the location (no mention of when).  In Spanish, the word "fonda" basically translates to "inn," or informal food establishment.  My guess is that it may be Colombian.

If you're interested in reading specifics on what's in store in terms of construction at the location, you can find some information at the following PDF link:

http://archive.citylaw.org/lpc/6.27.14/154090.pdf

Here's a link to a video from New York City Landmarks addressing the business owner's application for construction at the location.  The information presented is pretty much what appears on the PDF link above:

Public Hearing, April 29, 2014- Item 3: 86 02 37th Avenue
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline earbears

• Mayor
Re: 86-02 37th Avenue (Former Listo el Pollo / Dragon Seed)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
Thanks for the info. Have been wondering for a long time.

I am still unclear if the site is still one or is it back to the original 2 stores.

Offline Dudley

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
It's going to be a Colombian place: bachueny.com

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »
It's going to be a Colombian place: bachueny.com

Wow, Dudley!  Thanks for the link.  Looks enticing from the prelim website, and if the construction plans are still in accordance with what was detailed above, it may turn out to be a great addition to 37th Ave.

I am still unclear if the site is still one or is it back to the original 2 stores.

earbears, I wasn't aware that there were two storefronts involved.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Bachué:

http://www.culturarecreacionydeporte.gov.co/bogotanitos/cuenta-la-leyenda/bachue-y-el-origen-del-hombre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachué

The site's Twitter, Facebook and Instagram links, as well as the newsletter subscription, don't appear to work yet.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
More on the website...

The video in the background actually plays this YouTube video, made by a project called Blue Eden, on constant repeat with the sound disabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn-1D5z3-Cs
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:48:11 PM by redge »

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
More on the website...

The video in the background actually plays this YouTube video, made by a project called Blue Eden, on constant repeat with the sound disabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn-1D5z3-Cs

Interesting.  I looked up Blue Eden, and their website does say you can contact them for licensing inquiries, so perhaps the restaurant purchased licensing rights to use the NYC video on their website.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 09:22:56 PM »
More on the website...

Interesting.  I looked up Blue Eden, and their website does say you can contact them for licensing inquiries, so perhaps the restaurant purchased licensing rights to use the NYC video on their website.

Don't know.

What I do know is that the musicians who created the music for the video are from Queens and, according to the Wikipedia article on them, successfully sued four years ago for use of their music without a license. Coincidentally or not, the restaurant's website mutes the music behind the video. It also significantly mushes/deteriorates the quality of Blue Eden's imagery as it is streamed on the website, clearly deliberately.

Don't know if the restaurant is doing this under license or is ripping off other people's work to make itself look "cool", "sophisticated" and "creative".

What I do know is that the video is effectively passed off as the restaurant's work, has nothing to do with Queens (let alone Jackson Heights), that there is no overt credit, and that one needs to watch it from beginning to end to see who made it or go into the site's code and trace it back :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:35:33 PM by redge »

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »

Don't know if the restaurant is doing this under license or is ripping off other people's work to make itself look "cool", "sophisticated" and "creative".

What I do know is that the video is effectively passed off as the restaurant's work, has nothing to do with Queens (let alone Jackson Heights), that there is no overt credit, and that one needs to watch it from beginning to end to see who made it or go into the site's code and trace it back :)

I'm no expert on licensing, but it looks to me that you can purchase rights to use this video for advertising here https://app.nimia.com/video/6616/new-york-afterglow-2  so I think it makes sense to be cautious about alleging that the restaurant has ripped it off improperly.  I don't quite understand why you would make that allegation without knowing for sure, or at least trying to find out.  If it concerns you, there's an email address for contacting Blue Eden.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »
... I think it makes sense to be cautious about alleging that the restaurant has ripped it off improperly.  I don't quite understand why you would make that allegation without knowing for sure, or at least trying to find out.

Excuse me, but you raised the licensing issue, not me. In my response to you raising it, I did not allege that there is a license problem. In fact, I said expressly (twice) that I don't know if it is an issue.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:17:29 PM by redge »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »