Poll

What is your favorite South American restaurant in JH?

El Chivito d'Oro, 84-02 37th Ave.
Club Kabu, 85-09 Northern Blvd.
Cositas Ricas, 79-19 Roosevelt Ave.
La Fusta, 80-32 Baxter Ave.
Inti Raymi, 86-14 37th Ave.
Natives, 82-22 Northern Blvd.
La Nueva, 85-02 37th Avenue
Pio Pio, 84-13 Northern Blvd.
Pollos a la Brasa Mario, 81-01 Roosevelt Ave.
La Portena, 74-25 37th Ave.
Seba-Seba, 79-28 37th Ave.
Tierras Colombianas, 82-18 Roosevelt Ave.
Urubamba, 86-20 37th Ave
Other

Author Topic: Best South American Restaurant?  (Read 6963 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Best South American Restaurant?
« on: November 29, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
Anybody have any opinions about the best South American Restaurant in JH?

(El Palacio de los Cholados is my favorite, but that doesn't really count!)

Offline abee

• Council Member
Re: Best South American Restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:25:58 PM »
Anytime we have visitors, my husband convinces them to go to La Porteña. He's obsessed with the steak and the sausage. We must have been there three times in as many weeks a few months ago!

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:31:14 AM »
I like El Sol on Northern Blvd. between 86 and 87 St.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »
I would like to add La Cabana to the list.  I've eaten at a couple of the chicken places: pio pio and marios las brasas and also La Portena.  Still haven't tried La Fusta. 
First, do no harm.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »
Sara Markel-Gonzalez, blogger at UNDER THE 7: THE ROOSEVELT AVENUE PROJECT is now also blogging at Serious Eats, NY.  This week, she shares her "alfajor adventure" as she seeks out the best alfajores in Queens.  She visits:

• Rio De La Plata Bakery

• Rikuritas Bakery

• Buenos Aires Bakery

• La Nueva Bakery

• Panaderia Aconcagua

Looking for the Best Alfajores in Queens
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline JHICON

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »
I would like to add La Casa del Pollo Peruano to the list, but im not sure how many people have actually tried that place out.

http://lacasadelpolloperuano.com/home.html
I love controversy geezer's brace yourselves lolol.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »
I would like to add La Casa del Pollo Peruano to the list, but im not sure how many people have actually tried that place out.

http://lacasadelpolloperuano.com/home.html

Haven't tried it, but the animated chicken on their site is funny.  Does the real chicken come with special sauce?

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
This week's blog entry from Serious Eats, NY is on Colombian pandebono, and Sara Markel-Gonzalez highlights her favorites spots for the bread in Queens.

Searching for the Best Pandebono in Queens

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »
IMHO Colombian cuisine has to be some of the most BORING food around!  It mainly consists of overcooked meats, bland rice and beans, arepa that is about as exciting as cardboard and french dressing..... how Faux Pas!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
IMHO Colombian cuisine has to be some of the most BORING food around!  It mainly consists of overcooked meats, bland rice and beans, arepa that is about as exciting as cardboard and french dressing..... how Faux Pas!!!!!!!!!!

Oh CRABBYPATTY... I don't know about dismissing an entire cuisine because of bad dining options.  I'll agree with you on one thing, the arepas I've tried in some of the neighborhood restaurants are less than exciting.  That said, I know there's an entire group that adores the famous Arepa lady in Jackson Heights.  While I haven't tried the arepas from her food cart, I hear they're moist, tender and very flavorful.  Hundreds of people can't be wrong on that!

Maybe it's a cultural thing, and that's why I do enjoy South American food, Colombian included.  I grew up eating traditional homemade sancochos, caldos (hearty soups), carnes asadas, frijoles, tamales, homemade aji (hot sauce), etc.  I love the stuff and find it FAR from boring!

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »
I absolutely LOVE Peruvian cuisine which I find totally underrated!  IMHO they make the BEST ceviche, which is wonderfully spicy, potato dishes such as papas a la huacaina and papas ocopa are wonderfully rich, spicy and flavorful and anticuchos which is a tasty, grilled marinated beef heart......there are just too many wonderful dishes to mentioned. I also love Salvadorean pupusas and tamales alote which are truly sublime.........As you can see I do love latin foods but just not that impressed with Colombian. 

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
@ Crabby - I agree with you about the Peruvian food - I love their cabrito seco and They probably do make the best ceviches as a general rule. I'm ashamed to admit I don't patronize (on the regular) any one particular Peruvian place. Sometimes I will stop by Pio Pio or order delivery / Lunch from El Anzuelo Fino for my crew if they are working in JH

@ Chuckster - I enjoy Colombian caldos plenty - If I walk into a Colombian restaurant I will often order the soup of the day which can come  with tons of other stuff like Yuca, papa, salad and of course - Arepa.  I think the picadas make awesome bar food.  I am one of those that can't eat the arepas either, but I don't know many caribenos that eat it either.  I do like the yellow, sweet arepas with white cheese and I can easily see it as a good breakfast option to pancakes or the like

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:15:36 PM by NYC Native »
Time is running out!

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »
I agree with you NYC Native the Colombian arepas de choclo con queso is wonderful along with the deep fried buñuelos and empanada and I also have love for the pan de queso.  OK.....ok so I do enjoy their bakery food but I am still sticking to my guns on Colombian restaurant fare it still stinks........overcooked meats and tasteless rice and beans!

NYC Native head over to this Peruvian restaurant http://www.yelp.com/biz/pio-pio-riko-restaurant-queens for the BEST ceviche (picante), lomo saltdo and papa a la Huancaína and sooo much more and their aji verde sauce is sublime!!!!

... Ciao.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:08:53 AM by CRABBYPATTY »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »