Author Topic: Khao Kang / Khao Nom  (Read 4047 times)

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
Khao Kang / Khao Nom
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
Walking by today, I noticed there's a new restaurant being renovated on the already thriving restaurant row along Woodside Ave. It's called Khao Kang, and I suspect it's a new Thai restaurant. The work being done looks very nice. It's on the corner of 76 street and it has high glass windows all around the avenue and the street. Looks like someone is putting a lot of care into the design.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Khao Kang
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »
sounds promising. do you happen to know what was in the location before?

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:42 PM »
Golden Aquatic Aquarium. Welcome to Thai Town.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
aww, I was afraid of that. I always liked that store. but good luck to the new place.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
NY Times features Khao Kang in Elmhurst
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:50:13 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/dining/hungry-city-khao-kang-in-elmhurst-queens.html?_r=0#

The Hidden Pleasures That Lie Within
Hungry City: Khao Kang in Elmhurst, Queens

If you ask, the patient people at Khao Kang will identify the dozen unlabeled dishes on the steam table for you, but this will not necessarily help. Their one-word descriptions (“shrimp,” “chicken” and, repeatedly, “pork”) tell nothing of the layers of flavor, surprises and comforts to be found here, in one of the sincerest Thai restaurants in New York City.

Perhaps “restaurant” is an exaggeration. There is no menu, no wait service. Food is made in advance, throughout the day, and presented cafeteria style. Do not look askance. The steam-table joint is based on an honorable and beloved class of establishment in Thailand known as raan khao kaeng, or rice-curry shop, sometimes just a sidewalk stall with giant pots and a few plastic chairs that patrons circle and stalk.

Khao Kang, which opened in February in Elmhurst, Queens, has a prettier setup, with shaggy grass and daffodils spilling out of flower boxes out front, tall black-framed French windows and its name in burnished font across dark weathered wood. Inside, tables and chairs repeat the weathered motif, with stray mottles and yellow-green stripes.

click link above for full article

Offline wooden_soldier

• Citizen
Re: NY Times features Khao Kang in Elmhurst
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:23 AM »
Nice!!! Walked by the other day. Excited to try

Offline wooden_soldier

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
Went there the other day. Got the 3 entrees. I asked her to choose her favorite 3. She asked, "Do you like spicy?"  "Yes. I like everything. Please give me YOUR favorites."  "You like fish?" "Yes." Boom. Boom. Boom. A fish, a pork, and a BBQ pork item and we're done.  I eat. I sweat buckets. I sweat INTO my food. I am numb, high, and on fire at the same time.   It was the best $7.50 platter I've had in recent memory. It was like my tongue was smoking salvia.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:17 AM »
(Wow, that's some review!)

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
Wooden Soldier - I 2nd your enthusiasm!  We ate there this past weekend and the food was really delicious..  The people working there have a lot of pride –regarding the food.   It’s great because you arrive, and then within just a few seconds –you have a large plate of food.  The person behind the counter will describe each dish –and then you decide.  They take a large paddle of Rice,  and either two or three sides – whatever you decide.. 
This is a great addition to the neighborhood!   

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
Chopsticks and Marrow praises the toasted taro custard at Khao Kang

Offline jackinjh

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 04:56:14 PM »
Those thai pepper soak if fish sauce are amazing. Well worth the pain and burn... :)

Only thing I avoid is shrimp dish, for some reason I always end up getting one piece of shrimp, just matter of luck how many shrimp in a scope I guess.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Re: Khao Kang / Khao Nom
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »
Chopsticks and Marrow finds a tasty budget meal at Khao Nom, the dessert cafe behind Khao Kang...

Khao Nom’s Shrimp Paste Fried Rice is a Refreshing Summer Lunch

Jackson Heights Life

Re: Khao Kang / Khao Nom
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »