Author Topic: Diners / Coffee Shops  (Read 18954 times)

Offline European

• Citizen
Re: Diners / Coffee Shops
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 05:01:16 PM »

Juju's is the best. Sami and crew are gems. I also do K&L at times, Sami doesn't do normal egg sandwiches on a roll. Try to give them both business.

I was surprised to see that strollers are not allowed at Juju's. Is this only for sitting area, or am I not allowed to enter and buy something with a stroller?  :-\  :o

MODERATOR NOTE:  This post has been merged to this thread.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:43:39 AM by Chuckster »

Offline Songodd

• Citizen
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
Since you go into City Coffee....Dssjh....perhaps you can suggest to them that they update their decor.  To make their establishment more enticing. At the moment it screams..."doesn't give two hoots about atmosphere". And atmosphere, as well as good food, is imperative in getting new customers through the front door.

Maybe get better designed signs for the specials, and they could consider showing local art at least to dress up the walls. In addition, maybe simple things like colorful table clothes or other cost effective means to spruce up the place.

They might do well if they had better dessert most of what Ive eaten there is stale.  In defense, they do have pretty good breakfast and probably sat and sun am is where they make their money.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »

Juju's is the best. Sami and crew are gems. I also do K&L at times, Sami doesn't do normal egg sandwiches on a roll. Try to give them both business.

I was surprised to see that strollers are not allowed at Juju's. Is this only for sitting area, or am I not allowed to enter and buy something with a stroller?  :-\  :o

there's literally NO room in JuJu's for a stroller. it's difficult to navigate the place on foot, given how narrow it is....two people standing together make it a tight fit at the counter, and there's no place in the seating area for a stroller unless it's actually on top of the dining table.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 08:53:21 PM »
I've had the same thought about City Coffee--it could be a really nice diner-type place but I have to say that both times I ate there I found the food to be sub-par. Someone said above average--I disagree. For me it was below average--but it could be that some dishes are better than others. It's usually mostly empty. I wonder why they don't make more of an effort. We've seen the transformation of K&L recently--they really improved their setting and their offerings, joined Seamless, now offer delivery, where they used to only offer delivery during the day. And every time I go in there, they seem quite busy. It's now very popular for people who want a simple deli-type breakfast or lunch. City Coffee could be so much better than it is. Also, Ricky's is another diner that could be great but isn't quite there. I think their dinners are quite good--nice fresh veggies, good salads, good entrees. We sometimes order dinner from them and really like the food. But we went for brunch recently and it was disappointing to the point that I won't go there for brunch again. Lousy bread/toast, anemic omelet and they did not have any fruit of any kind, which is so weird for a diner-type place. Also no home fries, just french fries. I was surprised that it was so inconsistent.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
There was a time when City Coffee was a great option for breakfast on weekends and holidays.  Lately, it goes unnoticed, even on days like Mother's Day when in the past, the line of folks waiting for a table would be out the door.  A while back, I mentioned a few of the coffee shop's shortcomings to the owner's daughter.  While she did listen patiently, she gave me the impression that her dad wouldn't be open to much change.  I agree with a previous poster in that City Coffee has a loyal following in the community's long-term residents.  That said, I still think the coffee shop has the potential to successfully serve a larger clientele, given an improved business plan.  It's a nice sized space that can accommodate lots of customers, so it would be great to see this family business succeed.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
I'm wondering if we should open a new thread - City Coffee - fan or foe?
I am a fan!  Recently they got their liquor license, so I can now have a beer or wine with my Mexican Burger - which is an excellent burger and the fries are great.  I personally feel that their Mexican Burger is one of the finer things in life.  I like their breakfasts, in particular the Mexican ones - which could cure most anything as far as I am concerned.  They have both red and green hot sauce.  As far as I am concerned - that makes for an excellent decor.  I adore the big long table in the middle even though I never sit there, and I like the photo montage on the wall.  I DON'T want all the restaurants in the neighborhood to be gentrified.  That's why I live in New York.  I like diversity in the people I live with, the people I work with, and the establishments I patronize.

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
I'm really looking forward for The opening of Cafe Bene. I've eaten in their Manhattan location several times and enjoyed it. The food was fresh nd there were plenty of healthy options. As far as City coffee . ... I ate there once and never again. Instant mash potatoes ....REALLY?  The burger Tasted like mystery meat the and the string beans were right out of a can. Don't know if they got their act together since then, but once was enough for me.

Offline JackM

• Citizen
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
I am also a fan of City Diner.  Hey guys--it's a diner.  You want Parkside go to Parkside.  You want M Wells go to M Wells.  Diner is a euphemism for homey.  I love the unpretentiousness of the décor.  I lover the tasty diner menu.  I don't go there looking for a fine steak or foie gras.  I go for a hearty breakfast or burger/sandwich.  It's as good diner food as most and better than some.  I do like the Mexican spin (if you chose that.)  I go there whenever I'm in the mood for diner food.  No frills.  The basics and inexpensive.  Yeah, Dromm and Peralta eat there because they also understand what it is.  I'm all for new hip places moving in but I like a range of choices and not everything to be about décor and surface.  My fear about Café Bene is that's just what it will be.  A slick marketed coffee place owned by a giant Korean conglomerate.  It may have its place in JH but so does City Coffee (even more so.) 

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »
I think a great example re: renovations would be The Mark Twain/Jax Inn conversion.  Ten years ago, I'd only go into Mark Twain when Ihop was over a half hour wait.  And it still was empty!  Then once the grading system began it recieved a C and Im assuming the rest was history.

Soon thereafter the place was renovated, they added a few new items on the menu and made the joint look NICE (wouldnt say trendy, or hip, just nice and dinery) and now it's lines out the door on the weekend.

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
I'm wondering if we should open a new thread - City Coffee - fan or foe?
I am a fan!  Recently they got their liquor license, so I can now have a beer or wine with my Mexican Burger - which is an excellent burger and the fries are great.  I personally feel that their Mexican Burger is one of the finer things in life.  I like their breakfasts, in particular the Mexican ones - which could cure most anything as far as I am concerned.  They have both red and green hot sauce.  As far as I am concerned - that makes for an excellent decor.  I adore the big long table in the middle even though I never sit there, and I like the photo montage on the wall.  I DON'T want all the restaurants in the neighborhood to be gentrified.  That's why I live in New York.  I like diversity in the people I live with, the people I work with, and the establishments I patronize.
The owners of City Coffee  ironically are Peruvian.  George gets teased that he "looks" Mexican. Even my Peruvian ex husband has mentioned it to him. George goes to the butcher to choose his own meat. In the 10 years we have patronized City Coffee "we" (my teenage daughter in particular) have not been disappointed with their steaks as a result.
A traditional great diner we are lacking in the area. I am unimpressed with Jax Inn, Ricky's, ir even Georgia Diner in Elmhurst on Queens  Blvd. How is Jackson House these days on 37th?

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
The employees at Jackson House treat you really well, allowed me to use el banyo without being a customer (i felt bad though and ordered a coffee anyway). BUT, i saw the owner once doing something that... was a turn off for me.

I went only once to Jax Inn. Not my thing.

Somebody told me last week they love Jahn's.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
Does Ricky's have a different dinner menu? I went in there a couple weeks ago for a quick lunch, and it was bad. The menu was pretty much all things that come out of a deep fryer or a grill - burgers, grilled cheese sandwich, french fries, etc. That would be fine, but what the burger I got came on the cheapest, low quality bun imaginable. Worse even than what you'd get at McDonald's or Burger King. But hey, a burger, fries and a soda was around $6. My take was that it's fine for what it is, but I wouldn't be going there very often.

I like Jahn's for breakfast and basic diner food. But, we tried one of the Greek dishes once and were disappointed. Now, it's a diner so we're realistic about the food quality -- we don't expect 5 star dining -- but considering it's a diner and has placemats about Greece, we thought we could reasonably expect decently passable Greek dishes. Wrong. It was terrible.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
At Ricky's, I usually order the Chicken Picatta or Chicken Francese both very good and a bargain at $10.95.  It comes with one side.  I usually have steamed mixed vegetable.   Ask for the menu which is usually on the counter and you'll see all the dinner specials which are various pasta dishes, fish, poultry and meats.  I usually have delivery which is fairly prompt. 

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2015, 10:52:13 PM »
Beyond burgers or eggs, the only diner style restaurant that I like in the neighborhood is Ricky's.  I live in the 80s so I have to walk pass Jackson Heights Diner, Jahn's and City Coffee Shop.   The house salad at Ricky's is always fresh and I actually often crave their eggplant parmagiana and spaghetti carbonara platters for dinner. 

Offline Songodd

• Citizen
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
Beyond burgers or eggs, the only diner style restaurant that I like in the neighborhood is Ricky's.  I live in the 80s so I have to walk pass Jackson Heights Diner, Jahn's and City Coffee Shop.   The house salad at Ricky's is always fresh and I actually often crave their eggplant parmagiana and spaghetti carbonara platters for dinner.

Rickys also has a pretty good breakfast.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »