Author Topic: Diners / Coffee Shops  (Read 15669 times)

Offline JHres

• Resident
Re: Diners / Coffee Shops
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
Re City Coffee: if you're into nostalgia, they have a great chicken and rice soup for lunch. I've had two in a go on occasion. It's the same old NY chicken and rice soup recipe I had when I first came to NY in the mid 70s.

I would like to add that my wife and I have always found the staff there charming.

Offline JHres

• Resident
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
It was my daughter who alerted us to the chicken soup, she devoured it when she was pregnant.

Offline Ro

• Citizen
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
Not a diner, but I want to give a thumbs up to Juquila Mexican Cuisine for breakfast. Just on the other side or Roosevelt on 83rd, their breakfast specials are terrific. http://juquilamexicancuisine.com/morning-menu/3004866 My daughter and I went this past Sunday. It was around 11:30, and we passed Jackson House, which had a line out the door. Juquila was not busy. The decor is so much better than the diners/coffee shops in the hood, and the food was great. The home fries were amazing! Bore no relation to the pale, mushy home fries the coffee shops make. The toasted Mexican bread was so good! My daughter was in heaven, dipping the bread in her egg yolk. The coffee was also excellent. Served, of course, with hot milk. I don't even bother with the swill at the coffee shops.

Offline ptbass75

• Council Member
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:06 PM »
I'll second Juquila for breakfast.  Plenty of space, never crowded, CLEAN, and their huevos rancheros are phenomenal!

Offline mchafkin

• Citizen
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 10:07:51 PM »
well if we're expanding the scope of the discussion slightly, I'd like to throw in another sorta-diner, Rico Tinto. It doesn't look all that different from the other Colombian bakeries on and around 37th ave, but there's an ambition and care in the preparation that's really impressive. I think it's the best place for breakfast or lunch in the entire neighborhood. Good coffee too.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31:41 AM »
well if we're expanding the scope of the discussion slightly, I'd like to throw in another sorta-diner, Rico Tinto. It doesn't look all that different from the other Colombian bakeries on and around 37th ave, but there's an ambition and care in the preparation that's really impressive. I think it's the best place for breakfast or lunch in the entire neighborhood. Good coffee too.

I go in for pastries all the time on the weekends and the brunch plates look really good. We just haven't tried it yet but it's on our to-do.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »

I had the shrimp tacos at Rico Tinto, recently. They are amazing! I would have prefered 1 more shrimp per taco (there are 2 medium shrimp in each), but they are so good I'll get them again.

As far as diners go, I prefer Jahn's and Jax Inn.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Activist
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »
No more City Coffee now that Arepa Lady has acquired the space on 37th Avenue.  I'm a bit sad to see it go since it's been a fixture in Jackson Heights for a long time, but feel excited at the same time for what's to come.  Wishing the City Coffee family all the best going forward.

I came across news about another well-known diner's impending closure.  The Georgia Diner, located on Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst is scheduled to close its doors on March 25th. 

From the Queens ChronicleGeorgia Diner in Elmhurst to close March 25

Permits were approved for an 18-story, 181-foot-tall mixed-use tower at that site, and Singh (general manager) told the Chronicle that demolition of the diner is to make way for the structure — which is under construction.

The general manager added that about 50 people work at the Georgia Diner, and the most senior employees will be transferred to its sister eatery, the Nevada Diner ­— which will be rebranded with the Georgia name — a few blocks away at 80-26 Queens Blvd.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
We finally ate at Rico Tinto. Food was amazing and fairly priced. A gem.

Online Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
No more City Coffee now that Arepa Lady has acquired the space on 37th Avenue.  I'm a bit sad to see it go since it's been a fixture in Jackson Heights for a long time, but feel excited at the same time for what's to come.  Wishing the City Coffee family all the best going forward.
Is City Coffee already gone? I haven't been over that way for a few weeks. I always wanted to stop in there sometime. It looked like it was a time capsule from another era.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Activist
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Is City Coffee already gone? I haven't been over that way for a few weeks. I always wanted to stop in there sometime. It looked like it was a time capsule from another era.

Yes, City Coffee has closed its doors, and the people behind Arepa Lady have begun the process of working on its interior.

Online Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 12:09:42 AM »

Yes, City Coffee has closed its doors, and the people behind Arepa Lady have begun the process of working on its interior.
Well, gee. I'm sorry I never got to go there, but I'm glad the Arepa Lady is taking over the space.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
well if we're expanding the scope of the discussion slightly, I'd like to throw in another sorta-diner, Rico Tinto

I agree wholeheartedly! I really like their breakfast options. I've only eaten lunch there once, but that was good as well. 

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Activist
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2018, 11:18:07 AM »
well if we're expanding the scope of the discussion slightly, I'd like to throw in another sorta-diner, Rico Tinto

I agree wholeheartedly! I really like their breakfast options. I've only eaten lunch there once, but that was good as well.

I also enjoy the breakfast options at Rico Tinto.  I just wish they would offer some alternative for whole milk for coffee drinkers.  On most occasions, I either bring in coffee I've purchased elsewhere, or just drink water.  Not a fan of it, but I'm surprised they don't carry half n half.  City Coffee also only carried whole milk.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
El Rico Tinto has very good food and I don't understand why they don't seem to do any business later in the day. And what's with the tables moving in and out of the front section? With no tables there, the place looks half closed or something when you walk by. For a while it looked like they were trying to have an early dinner crowd, but now it looks like they gave up on that.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »