Author Topic: Foodtown, formerly Met  (Read 10227 times)

Offline Maple

• Citizen
Foodtown, formerly Met
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:41:26 PM »
What do you all think of the Foodtown version of the supermarket on 37th Ave at 76th St.? I've heard more than one shopper on the check-out line gripe about having to have their card to get the advertised sales. One woman in front of me just stormed off without her groceries when she was told she needed to have the card to get the discount.

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
Re: Foodtown, formerly Met
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:35 PM »
I've only ventured to Foodtown once since they converted - I normally shop at Trade Fair and the other ethnic markets - and I only purchased some chicken breast, so I never found out if one needed the card for the discounts. It would make sense for one not to since Met never required it and it's generally a hassle. If you're going to advertise sales, one should honor them regardless of having the card or not.

Offline Jimnyc

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »
You do need a shoppers card to obtain the discounts..it's free. One of the perks if you will, if you buy so much you may get a free turkey.  I find overall most of the staff is not friendly and I feel like I am inconviencing them when I am checking out, if they are talking to co-workers, eating or texting. 

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
You do need a shoppers card to obtain the discounts..it's free. One of the perks if you will, if you buy so much you may get a free turkey.  I find overall most of the staff is not friendly and I feel like I am inconviencing them when I am checking out, if they are talking to co-workers, eating or texting.

I don't think that much of the staff has changed, so they were unfriendly before the switch too - but I know what you mean! 

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
Foodtown sux.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
The sign for customer service reads "CUSTOMER SLRVICL" and no one thought there was a problem when I pointed it out to them.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
Since it's still my go-to supermarket -- mostly due to proximity -- i'd say that, overall, the prices are better, the service is the same (variable, some great employees, some who need serious retraining) and  the selection is worse.

as far as the customer card thing, i've never heard anyone complain about Duane Reade's policy, which is exactly the same. it took me about 45 seconds to fill out an application for the card, which was handed to me immediately afterward. 60 seconds total for that transaction.

some people like storming out in a huff, and take any opportunity to do so. that's certainly their right, but i've never been one to do so.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
I like Foodtown better than the Met.  More variety and better sales.  I don't give a crap about needing the card - every modern supermarket has the same thing.  They have signs everywhere telling you that you need the card in order to get the sale price, so I have very little sympathy for the woman who stomped out like a 5-year old.

But it's still a mediocre supermarket.  That much hasn't changed. 

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:09:12 PM »
Trade Fair, Mi Tierra, Walgreens, Duane Reade, Stop & Shop, I could go on, all have cards. What's the big deal?

I like the new iteration, and Met had a card for a while, too. Their house brand cereals are better than Chex & a LOT cheaper.

Offline gsmayes

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
I really haven't noticed much of a difference. And the discount card has been a trend for like 10 years, it's just a way to target advertising more effectively.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
it's one insult after another. somebody hit the nail on the head when they said foodtown will "start out okay but quickly head south," or something to that effect. My most recent charge is that they put out brown paper lunch bags for use at the coffee grinder. I expect the fresh coffee will be going by the wayside sooner or later. requires too much "CUSTOMER SLRVICL."
to their credit they have kept the relatively large selection of affordable teas.
I dread when I have to deal with that one young cashier with the rapid tongue, but she's actually a leftover from Met.
still, it's not the worst thing that's ever happened to JH; just that Met was better.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
okay, the one complaint that things are "going south" is brown paper lunch bags for use at the coffee grinder.

anything else?

Offline Maple

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
The thing about the card is that it gives them your information and it tracks your purchases. There's enough of that involuntarily (cookies, NSA). My experience at Duane Reade (where I do have a card) is that if I don't have a card with me, they'll just swipe a generic card and I'll get a discount anyway. (Not necessarily at one in JH, but in general.) Foodtown is have your card or no discount.

There isn't much difference that I've noticed regarding selection, although I stopped seeing Feline Pine there (and had to get such an enormous bag elsewhere that I haven't needed cat litter lately). The Foodtown brand of oatmeal is larger and flatter than Met brand, and so has a different relationship to water when it's cooking. Funny-- I would have thought generic brands would be the same.

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 01:41:55 AM »
didn't it occur to anyone but me that you can fill in any info you choose on those forms?

and if you charge anything, who reads your signature on the computer pad?

I'm not condoning anything illegal, but seriously, do you think when you write a check that a human
actually checks your signature against a sample?

if the card will give me a dollar off OJ, i will use it.

Offline gsmayes

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
I don't get the coffee brown paper bag thing. Isn't that what every coffee grinder place uses? With the little twist 'em closer dealies? That's what Lemon Tree and even the fancy park slope food coop uses.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »