Author Topic: Dangerous garden mulch - fact or myth  (Read 1059 times)

Offline TBM

  • Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 63
Dangerous garden mulch - fact or myth
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
This was forwarded to me recently, and there is debate over its validity.  Some urban legend sites are valdiating it, while others deny it.  I'm forwarding it so that pet owners and gardners are aware of the possibility. ~ TBM


Recently, the owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large  helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.  
 
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.
 
Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa  Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

*Snopes site gives the following  information: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp *  
 
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. IT IS LETHAL TO DOGS AND CATS. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.
 
Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's  chocolate which is toxic to  dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, axanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach  contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.    
  
 
 

Jackson Heights Life

Dangerous garden mulch - fact or myth
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »