Author Topic: Illegal U turns  (Read 1146 times)

Offline francis

• Mayor
Illegal U turns
« on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
You can hardly walk up 37th avenue without someone in a car doing an illegal U turn.  Yesterday, a car came within two inches of hitting me. Some jerk in one of these oversized SUV's made a U-turn that landed his car over the curb and onto the sidewalk right next to me.  I know there was a traffic safety town hall several weeks ago.  Is there any follow up by the 115th or traffic patrol.  It's a situation which is totally out of hand. Given the recent tragedy in East Elmhurst, you would think there'd be more enforcement.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
Re: Illegal U turns
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »
After the elderly man was hit and killed on 37th Ave in front of GNC, the cops were there for 2 days. Then nothing.

The U-turns onto the sidewalk happen all of the time...I've also had to step back a few times to avoid them.

A related issue are the jerks that park in the crosswalk, forcing you out in the street. Happens ALL THE TIME on 37th Ave and 73rd St.

No enforcement whatsoever. The parking attendants are just revenue generators and don't really ticket cars with drivers. They either need different protocols, or the police need to do something.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
 I think this is a huge ongoing problem here. Am surprised more people aren't mowed down by these u-turns and in fact, do remember a tragedy on 34th and 76th? street where three women talking on the corner were killed as the car lost control turning around. Would it help law enforcement if videos were submitted of this happening? Would gladly post some if I thought it would help. It's hard to believe they don't see it happening all the time but then again I see very few police on 37th Ave.

Offline jackinjh

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
That happen to me few times too, worst is one dude horn at you for not stopping for them to make U turn and flicking at you for being on their way.

Also, people park or stand on bus stop. That seem pretty dangerous for people getting off the bus. And the most annoying is car that park at the corner 74th street and 35th Ave, is no parking or standing since the bus need that space to make turn from 74th street. There is always car there, I am wonder why no ticket given or car being tow.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
I take pics and tweet them to 115 Precinct. Up on 85th, they always U-turn through 3 crosswalks. Sad to say, but we have to go to Precinct council meeting as a large group...or just 4 of us.

Offline BEB

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:27:47 AM »
Has there been any further discussion of making 37th Ave a one way street? That would certainly solve this particular problem. I was chatting with a neighbor who had said this was brought up at that meeting after these recent car related tragedies. People there suggested it would harm local businesses. I honestly can not see how that would be the case...but I'm no civil engineer. 

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
Has there been any further discussion of making 37th Ave a one way street? That would certainly solve this particular problem. I was chatting with a neighbor who had said this was brought up at that meeting after these recent car related tragedies. People there suggested it would harm local businesses. I honestly can not see how that would be the case...but I'm no civil engineer.
The general trend is to turn one way streets back into two way streets.  One way commercial streets have higher speeds and higher traffic loads.  They are more dangerous to pedestrians and hurt business.
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/traffic/2014/07/25/new-rochelle-considers-two-way-streets-downtown/13165463/

Offline M7X7

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
A median would also solve that. But of course then there wouldn't be room for trucks to double park all day long in front of Apna Bazaar, and since they apparently are above any law of man or nature, I guess that's a no go.

Offline Rhino

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
As crazy as it sounds, I believe they are allowed to double park while they expeditiously unload. Unfortunately none of these drivers do anything expeditiously.

Offline deja

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
The problem is hardly anyone is ticketed and the penalties don't hurt enough to inspire a change of behavior.  Now, if getting caught making an illegal U turn on a busy street resulted in a mandatory 30 day suspension of license...

Offline Liz

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
I have never seen a car pulled over in this neighborhood and given a ticket - so why should the drivers obey the traffic rules?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »