Author Topic: Better Sushi option in Jackson Heights  (Read 2105 times)

Offline pipman

• Activist
Better Sushi option in Jackson Heights
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »
After my latest bad experience with Tomo sushi delivery, was hoping to hear if there are better options in Jackson Heights.  In my opinion Tomo was better than Okawa, but this last delivery the sushi was almost inedible, chicken katsu was limp, and to top it off had a staple in the white rice. 

Last week went to Watawa on Ditmars where the sushi is so fresh and delicious.  There are so many good sushi places in Astoria, you think we can demand better quality and variety in JH.  I can't eat Thai, Nepalese and Mexican all the time.   Any recommendations on quality sushi...that delivers.

Offline Dodger

• Citizen
Re: Better Sushi option in Jackson Heights
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »
Personally, I think Okawa is just fine for delivery sushi.  Their rolls are tasty, the fish is fresh, and they don't pad them out with too much rice. But  I don't get too adventurous and I don't order their non-sushi dishes.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »
I think Okawa does reasonably good sushi - though it's much better eaten on site, as is the case with most places. Their cooked options are pretty mediocre, though. Limp, as you noted, and not very well flavored. Happy Kitchen is just the opposite in my experience. Good, generously portioned bento boxes, egg bowls that hit the spot on days like this, but really subpar sushi.

Offline deja

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »
Tomo used to be much better.  In the last year or so they've been really disappointing.

Offline mamalemon

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
Unfortunately, there is no Japanese owned sushi restaurant in JH. They all don't know Real sushi.
Try Takesushi on 43rd street in Sunnyside or Sushi Yasu in Forest Hills.   ;)

Offline wallaby

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
I believe that the recently opened 969 cafe on 80th street is starting to offer sushi roll options- still limited in terms of selection but, Oda, the owner, is expanding the menu pretty quickly so it's worth keeping an eye out for what he offers next! The onigiri are delicious as is the miso soup. He now offers ramen (haven't tried yet but looks delicious!) and I think he is, as said, making a few sushi rolls. He also seems open to suggestions so perhaps if there's a lot of demand he would consider adding more by way of sushi.

Offline BennyB

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »
969 cafe on 80th street

Agree this place is awesome

Offline amsci

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
I can vouch for the Ramen. Delicious and filling and a great value considering the amount of food/quality.

We love 969 and Oda!

I believe that the recently opened 969 cafe on 80th street is starting to offer sushi roll options- still limited in terms of selection but, Oda, the owner, is expanding the menu pretty quickly so it's worth keeping an eye out for what he offers next! The onigiri are delicious as is the miso soup. He now offers ramen (haven't tried yet but looks delicious!) and I think he is, as said, making a few sushi rolls. He also seems open to suggestions so perhaps if there's a lot of demand he would consider adding more by way of sushi.

Offline JA

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »
Oda is the man. And the shop is great and does good business. I think he will stay open. Haven't tried the ramen but that onigiri makes a great addition to a packed lunch.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
I tried the pork ramen tonight.  Delicious and just what I needed on a chilly evening.

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
Oda is the man. And the shop is great and does good business. I think he will stay open. Haven't tried the ramen but that onigiri makes a great addition to a packed lunch.

Tried pork ramen and chicken onigiri. Friend had the pork ramen and spiced pork onigiri. Food is very good. Definitely think this place will stay open and continue to do even better as word of mouth grows.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
stopped in on a work-from-home day last week and grabbed an octopus inari.....he said he'd never made it before, and might not stick with it since the octopus is a pricey ingredient. maybe the best thing i've had yet. his onigiri are really outstanding.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »
Queens Eats goes to 969 Cafe https://www.instagram.com/p/BTFnsfEAwpz/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Foodtown now offering in-house sushi
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
And it's....not bad. actually top-tier if you're comparing to deli made sushi in Manhattan/pricier areas of Queens. on a par with Happy Kitchen, for my money.

tried a few things so far - a credible tuna roll, a mediocre (cut way too thick) nigiri platter, a good sweet potato roll and a very good eel roll. the chef was on hand, and made that last one in front of me. he has good rice skills.

Jackson Heights Life

Foodtown now offering in-house sushi
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »