Author Topic: Can we make Jackson Heights more attractive, classy and Trendy?  (Read 35080 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Can we make Jackson Heights more attractive, classy and Trendy?
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
There are things that can be done that don't fall into the category of gentrification: noise, garbage, illegal housing etc. If we accomplished just those - JH would be a far more livable place. That's the bottom rung of what she should be aiming for though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flv5nWZgII

i don't think anyone is arguing against cleaner streets, targeting illegal housing or lowering nuisance crimes -- at least i hope not. i think Hummingbird was targeting the last word of the topic here: "trendy."

we've done this dance here for years. someone starts a discussion about how to change the neighborhood for the better. it morphs into discussions about how we need more micro-brews, bistros and maybe a Trader Joe's or two. someone objects to that and says that we don't need to become park slope.....and the circle of life continues.

i would be thrilled if we had better garbage pickup in the commercial districts (i pick up trash off the sidewalk on the side streets myself when my hands aren't full), commercial landlords who gave a flying fig about the neighborhood and a police precinct that got off its collective ass once in a while to deal with the social-security card dealers and petty criminals.

i would be less thrilled to see jackson heights lose its essential multi-ethnic, middle-working class character. i realize that the reason we have 99 cent stores/Desi gold stores/taco stands is that these are stores the people who live here want and need. as much as people like to say 'oh, we can strike a balance and have a little of everything,' it's never true. but jackson heights is a little different than williamsburg/bushwick or the LES of days of yore, in that people are a little more economically entrenched and harder to get rid of/scare off. thank goodness for that.

so let's try to concentrate on the things we agree on: cleaning up the streets, forcing landlords to do the right thing with housing and keeping a good sense of community intact.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »
so 99 cent stores are what the JH residents deserve and want?  We wouldn't prefer a decent housewares stores with higher quality merchandise than the toxic wasteland of the JH discount store? I'm not talking Gracious Home.

Offline Hummingbird

• Citizen
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
There are things that can be done that don't fall into the category of gentrification: noise, garbage, illegal housing etc. If we accomplished just those - JH would be a far more livable place. That's the bottom rung of what she should be aiming for though.

Whenver I hear about people talk about JH in these terms, I think of the "Lowered Expectations" skit from MadTV, and it makes me very frustrated and a little sick. I've lived in working class neighborhoods in Bronx, Manhattan and now Queens and I've never seen such denial. I have hope though that things will change, and maybe the world won't cave in for working and middle class people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flv5nWZgII

I believe I wrote absolutely nowhere in my post that since I'm against eventual wholesale gentrification of neighborhoods, I'm also against cleanliness, I have low standards of what a neighborhood should, and I just set the bar low.

Offline JIF

• Citizen
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
Reality check.

Jackson Heights is diverse.

Sure there are some middle class folks in and around the historic district...(and on this forum) but the vast majority who shop here are immigrant working class...(who are not on this forum. And probably can't express themselves fluently in English should they inadvertantly find themselves on this forum)...Open your eyes and look around...They seek bargains.

And businesses simply cater to their needs in order to turn a profit....(due the numbers). 

It's no more complicated than that.

I would say the number of folks living in the Historic District is what?  5,000?
But the number living around it, shopping here might number what? 70,000?

Businessmen are not fools.  They just cater to the largest market.

The 99 cent stores are always busy as far as I can see. And the most popular new restaurant that opened is a fast food fried chicken place on 37th Ave, from what I notice.

From a business angle, it's quite simple really.

Apart from that, I find the stores here very quirky...even if they are 99 cent stores...or fast food joints...they're not chains...and so each seems to have its own weird and distinct personality...From being followed to check I'm not stealing...in a Roosevelt Ave 99cent...with no please or thank yous....or even a word exchanged during the transaction at the till...to having pleasant conversations with one of the cashiers on 37th Ave...

So even in our 99 cent stores...we have diversity!   

Also, it does seem LIC will soon be our go-to location for artisanal cheeses and fancier shopping.  Thankfully it's close.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:05:26 PM by JIF »

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Reality check, my whole family is diverse.

Listen, don't lecture me, my family goes back to Corona since the Great Depression and my husband  is from the West Indies. He's black and Chinese, and I'm about five different things, including two different  religions

so don't talk to me about diversity. you're wasting your time.

Offline JIF

• Citizen
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
I meant JH is economically diverse. Not simply culturally.

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »
This thread is 11 pages long now, so it has definitely caught the attention of folks who have computers.

For fun (yes, a quirky kind of fun) I went back to page 1 and read the whole thing.

If you have the time, do a scan. The subject wanders every once and a while, but is very interesting reading.

From what I can tell, the landlords are not on here. Or if so, making no defense of the pricing.

Kudos to all who care about JH and are willing to get out there and do things that might not be classy or trendy,
but in the spring when all the bulbs planted bloom, we will look terrific!

Offline GregNYC

• Activist
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
The more subway lines and bus routes a neighborhood has, the more it attracts poor people. And, Jackson Heights has one of the most subway lines and bus routes of NYC.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
Jackson Heights has historically been a subway hub, even in it's more affluent days. Indeed it was this fact that made it an attractive community to the upper and middle class community that founded it as a "Garden City."

Offline Dkaplan

• Citizen
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »
The more subway lines and bus routes a neighborhood has, the more it attracts poor people. And, Jackson Heights has one of the most subway lines and bus routes of NYC.

Trolling much? Our public transportation is one of the things that makes this city great. I'm glad that all people have access to somewhat affordable transportation, but I'm sure your high horse is adequate enough transportation for you.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
Look the guy voiced an opinion, even if it was awkwardly worded. i think he meant that lower income people would be attracted to an area where they could get to a lot of different places to work for a relatively small amount of money.

It is true that lower income people have to rely on public transportation but middle income people do too. When I had no money I took the subway, now that things are better I'm still grateful. I don't think that the  number of subway lines is the reason we don't have more quality shops and restaurants. But eventually it could be one of the contributing factors as to how we'll get them. And historically it was the subways that opened up the area to real estate investors. There'd be no "Garden City" without the subway lines.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
hey, he's got a point. hollis, flatlands and tottenville are new york's hottest neighborhoods.

Offline GregNYC

• Activist
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »

Trolling much? Our public transportation is one of the things that makes this city great. I'm glad that all people have access to somewhat affordable transportation, but I'm sure your high horse is adequate enough transportation for you.

How is trolling when it's true? Jamaica has even more public transportation, which attracts more poor people and is even more of an eyesore than Jackson Heights.

Offline JIF

• Citizen
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
GregNYC... Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center in Brooklyn is an even bigger transport hub...and that's in Ft Greene... and surrounded by BAM and extremely expensive real estate...and folks who aren't poor...so your logic doesn't hold...

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
How is trolling when it's true? Jamaica has even more public transportation, which attracts more poor people and is even more of an eyesore than Jackson Heights.

Actually, the neighborhoods best served by public transit are all in Manhattan, and they're now all psychotically expensive. The Financial District? SoHo? The Union Square area? The Upper West Side? Are you kidding me?

In Brooklyn, the neighborhoods best served by public transit are also now all psychotically expensive. Carroll Gardens? Fort Greene? Park Slope? Yeah, that.

Jamaica has a gigantic, noisy, unsightly, uncovered rail yard, which is part of what keeps it cheap. That's very similar to how Fourth Avenue in Manhattan was a mess before the railway line there was covered over ... and it became Park Avenue.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »