Author Topic: CNBC: Queens population real estate boom makes it look like the next Brooklyn  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
JDinJH posted this link on another thread:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/16/queens-population-real-estate-boom-makes-it-look-like-the-next-brooklyn.html

CNBC
Queens' population, real estate boom makes it look like the next Brooklyn
Daniel Bukszpan
Monday, 19 Sep 2016 | 12:31 PM

Approximately 10 years ago, 47-year-old sculptor Micki Spiller and her husband purchased a 1930s auto body shop in Woodside, a diverse neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens, and converted it into a home studio.

Little did Spiller realize that a decade later, she and her family would be in the epicenter of a massive population and demographic shift — not that she's bothered by the transition.

"People are more likely to give up their seat to a pregnant woman on the 7 train than on the 6," Spiller told CNBC in a recent interview, favorably comparing the NYC subway line that runs through Queens to its counterpart that runs through Manhattan, its neighbor to the west.

"It's better in the boroughs," she said. "Queens is not as hip as Manhattan and Brooklyn, and that's just fine by us."

Spiller's story is increasingly typical in one of NYC's fastest-growing areas — Queens, which is perhaps most famous for being home to curmudgeonly television dad Archie Bunker. In recent years, neighborhoods such as Woodside, Sunnyside and Astoria have been the chief beneficiaries of a large population boom, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. In fact, Queens is second only to ultra-hip Brooklyn in terms of its influx of residents since 2010, 2015 Census figures show.

Much like Brooklyn once did, Queens offers refuge to those who can't afford sky-high Manhattan rents and real estate. Yet anecdotal evidence suggests that status may not last long. Some observers say Queens is now in the process of becoming "Brooklynized" by young professionals — whose exodus from soaring rents and home prices has caused a wave of gentrification to crash along the borough's shores.

Click link above for full article

Offline MrPlaza

• Activist
Being as I haven't yet left LIC, this RFP was of particular interest to me, not only because of its impact on the surrounding area, but also because of the fight to have the new ferry stop installed at 44th Dr. But alas, the city decided to concentrate all the attention on the people who live on Center Blvd.

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member

Offline JDinJH

• Citizen
JH is doing pretty well as well, "Jackson Heights and Elmhurst co-ops prices have gone up significantly in the last year, surpassing 20 percent on average, a recent real estate report reveals."

http://jacksonheightspost.com/prices-for-jackson-heights-and-elmhurst-coops-up-more-than-20-from-last-year-according-to-real-estate-report

Woodside is a cool neighborhood for bars, but the housing stock is generally a hodgepodge of different types of buildings and homes.  It is visually unappealing in that regard.  A huge house next to a little house; a white house next to a yellow house next to a green house, etc.  To me that is just plain ugly.  Sunnyside is much better.   JH is nice because of the visual and stylistic uniformity - I am referring to the historic district.

Offline SamJHL

• Tourist
Looking to move after 5 years of being in JH, it's amazing the spike in prices I've seen lately. Was hoping to buy soon but seems unlikely now. Even for rentals, prices going up 400-600/month on average (although maybe it's because I'm looking at September move-ins)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Looking to move after 5 years of being in JH, it's amazing the spike in prices I've seen lately. Was hoping to buy soon but seems unlikely now. Even for rentals, prices going up 400-600/month on average (although maybe it's because I'm looking at September move-ins)

Before you give up, look just outside of the Landmark District, especially up in the high 80s, lower 90s.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor

Jackson Heights Life