Author Topic: Urgent Vote tomorrow!! Must not have Monserrate win!  (Read 631 times)

Offline itsit

• Council Member
Urgent Vote tomorrow!! Must not have Monserrate win!
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
 As preposterous as this contest is between Moya and Monserrate, there are news outlets saying that he has a decent chance.
PLEASE VOTE! This is an unthinkable possibility that an ex-con guilty and accused of crimes would be re-elected to represent
us. No no no....NO more Monserrate.

Offline earbears

• Mayor
Re: Urgent Vote tomorrow!! Must not have Monserrate win!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
NO WRITE INS
NO MONSERRATE
VOTE MOYA
WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »
From the NYT endorsement (copy and pasted from JHfamilies)

This one is easy. Assemblyman Francisco Moya deserves every primary vote in this district.
 His opponent is former State Senator Hiram Monserrate, who seems to be hoping that voters will not recall the video showing him dragging his girlfriend through an apartment lobby after he had just slashed her face with a piece of glass, that he was thrown out of the State Senate after being convicted of misdemeanor assault, and that he later pleaded guilty to misusing public funds and was sentenced to two years in prison.
Mr. Monserrate, who has shown little remorse, simply does not belong in public service.
Mr. Moya, in contrast, has worked in Albany to increase the minimum wage, reform the criminal justice system and provide more protections for construction workers. He would be a credit to this district.

If you want to know where your voting location is
http://vote.nyc.ny.us/html/voters/where.shtml

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
Ugh, I really need to change from Independent so I can vote in primaries.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:41:29 PM »
My magic 8 ball sees major embarrassments, and possible legal action happening in District 21 in the coming years. No matter who wins. This will be a race decided by less than 10, possibly 5 % of those registered to vote. So, no victory, no win of any substance. Any candidate who celebrates a victory needs cognitive therapy.

The biggest campaign strategy utilized- voter ignorance.
2nd strategy- keep local issues and positions on them completely out of the race
3rd- Debate Schmebate!
4th- use contributions to litter the streets and homes with campaign fluff created with NYC public funds.

Indictments vs. (out of district, politically owed, not the least bit sincere or knowledgable) Endorsements.
Constituents lose.
Play ball, everyone.

Offline JH3525

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
If the voter turnout is very low, Monserrate has a chance of winning.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »
 Get out and VOTE TODAY please. From one neighbor to another, this one is truly important!! Vote Moya for
reasons of sanity if nothing else.

The polls are open now!

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »
Ugh, I really need to change from Independent so I can vote in primaries.

The time to do so is now if one wants to vote in the 2018 primaries. Independent voters or anyone looking to change their political party in order to cast a vote in the 2018 Democratic primaries has a month and a day to do so in New York. Our state senate seat (currently held by Peralta, IDC member) comes up for reelection in 2018.

"CHANGE OF ENROLLMENT (N.Y. Election Law Section 5-304(3))
An application to change one’s party enrollment for 2018 must be received by the board of elections no later than October 13th [2017]."
https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingDeadlines.html

Online lalochezia

• Council Member

Offline deja

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
And good riddance!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
I love this blurb from DNAinfo about the campaign afterparties:  (Link to article: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170913/corona/francisco-moya-wins-hiram-monserrate-city-council-election-primary-queens

As dozens of campaign workers lined up to get paid for working shifts handing out palm cards and leaflets, Monserrate fled — running across Astoria Boulevard with his pregnant wife, Michelle. They were paid later in the night, campaign officials said.
He avoided questions from reporters as he got into a Lexus SUV and drove away.
The chaotic scene continued long after Monserrate was gone, as people who stumped for the losing candidate waited for hours to get paid. And many claimed they got paid less than what they were owed.
Anthony Pena, 27, was banking on the promised $240 he received for two days of work, from 6 a.m until 2 p.m. But when he received his check from the Hiram 2017 campaign it was only for $100.
"If I knew this I never would have come," he said. "I would not have done it."
Mike Nieves, a former aide to Monserrate who worked on his campaign, said everything was settled after midnight.
"People are getting paid," he said. "If they work with me, I work with them."
The City Council run was the second time Monserrate tried to get back into politics. He lost a bid to serve as district leader, an unpaid position, by 57 votes in 2016.

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
Katie Honan is a local treasure.

I love this blurb from DNAinfo about the campaign afterparties:  (Link to article: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170913/corona/francisco-moya-wins-hiram-monserrate-city-council-election-primary-queens

As dozens of campaign workers lined up to get paid for working shifts handing out palm cards and leaflets, Monserrate fled — running across Astoria Boulevard with his pregnant wife, Michelle. They were paid later in the night, campaign officials said.
He avoided questions from reporters as he got into a Lexus SUV and drove away.
The chaotic scene continued long after Monserrate was gone, as people who stumped for the losing candidate waited for hours to get paid. And many claimed they got paid less than what they were owed.
Anthony Pena, 27, was banking on the promised $240 he received for two days of work, from 6 a.m until 2 p.m. But when he received his check from the Hiram 2017 campaign it was only for $100.
"If I knew this I never would have come," he said. "I would not have done it."
Mike Nieves, a former aide to Monserrate who worked on his campaign, said everything was settled after midnight.
"People are getting paid," he said. "If they work with me, I work with them."
The City Council run was the second time Monserrate tried to get back into politics. He lost a bid to serve as district leader, an unpaid position, by 57 votes in 2016.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
Now let's concentrate on removing turncoat Peralta from the state senate!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »