Author Topic: FIOS is coming — will it be a *wire-y* mess?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
FIOS is coming — will it be a *wire-y* mess?
« on: March 24, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
Verizon is coming to hook up FIOS. Eight years ago, I would have been pretty excited, but we cut the cable cord a while back and haven't missed a thing — so, *shrug*. They say it will be faster, but I haven't noticed speed issues in the current set up.

My #1 concern is for my WALLS. Does anyone already have FIOS? If so, how intrusive is the wiring and the equipment? After renovating, it would pain me to add any mess running along the baseboards.

#2 Apparently we need to replace our landline with a wireless model. Has anyone done this? What model did you get, if you don't mind sharing? My only experience with cordless phones is from 2003 when I could hear my downstairs neighbor's every call. Has quality improved since then?

Offline frances

• Citizen
Re: FIOS is coming — will it be a *wire-y* mess?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:13:44 PM »
We recently got Fios. The wiring is way less intense and intrusive than cable, I barely notice it.

HOWEVER, there is an 12.5x15  black box that will be affixed to your wall and needs to be plugged in. The modem also needs to be plugged in. We bought a small cabinet to (sort of) hide them for the time being. At some point, I'll prob have a cabinet built around it to hide it better.

Offline KateJH

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 07:26:16 PM »
We had Fios installed a couple of months ago: The wire is a bit thinner than cable. It was pulled in just over the front door and run down around the door frame and behind a sideboard in our foyer. We plugged the box and router into the outlets next to the sideboard, and hid them behind a big sansevieria plant.

We opted not to get phone or TV, so use the wifi router for both the laptop in the living room and the desktop computer in the spare bedroom/office. We asked the installer to leave extra cable in case we wanted a hardwire connection to the laptop for streaming and Chromecasting to the TV, but the wifi connection has been fine for that so far. 

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Thanks, All - your replies hVe been so helpful. I have a utility closet where I keep tools that has an outlet. That closet is near the foyer where previous homeowners brought in cable. I think I can hide the box and the fiber optic cable almost completely. I really appreciate the feedback!

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
To close the loop on this discussion, here's a photo of the completed installation — for anyone who might see this discussion and wonder how much FIOS equipment there is and how it's configured. They were able to fit the entire install into the one closet that has an outlet.

When our co-op had FIOS installed, they ran the cable for each floor behind the molding at the ceiling in the hallway. So our cable is coming in from the hallway into the top of a coat closet in our foyer, then into this adjacent utility closet that has an outlet. In the end, there's no cable visible anywhere, so I'm a happy camper.

Note: The black box at the bottom is an emergency power backup for a landline phone. If you don't have/need a landline, you'll have one fewer box to contend with.