Author Topic: Adopt an elder program?  (Read 762 times)

Offline AllonsyPond

• Tourist
Adopt an elder program?
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
Hi everyone!
Do you know of any adopt an elder-type program that exists in the neighborhood? Like a big brother/sister program, but for elderly?

The population of old folk is pretty high in these parts...and I wonder sometimes about their quality of life when I see them struggling down the street - do they have family that visits? Do they even have family?  Are they lonely?  Do they need someone to pick something up for them when it's snowing/raining? 

I'd like to be a part of that group, if it exists - or maybe start one of my own...thanks!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Adopt an elder program?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »
i'd be up for that, too. i did something like this through a church on the lower east side back in the '80s, and met a lovely, lovely woman who i hope i helped.

Online jeanette

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:39:02 PM »
Hi everyone!
Do you know of any adopt an elder-type program that exists in the neighborhood? Like a big brother/sister program, but for elderly?

Don't know of anything to which you are referring to exactly, but one thing I've done is to volunteer at Regal Heights Rehab Ctr. It is also a hospice. You need to get a flu shot first. I used to entertain there for entire floors, but there are many other things you can do such as visit private rooms or be a reader in the library.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
Is there an organization like this here in Jackson Heights?   http://goodneighborsofparkslope.org

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
 I don't know that we have this type of organization here but the listing of events is very similar to city run senior centers. We
have one senior center across Roosevelt on 75th and Broadway and something at St Joan of Arc's too. We could use more
facilities in this area.

I remember fondly working for the Carter Administration's program that connected college students to individual elders. The
seniors paid $1. per hour and your work study monies paid you the balance of wages. The seniors were free to request shopping,
sitting outdoors, help in their house, sharing a meal or just plain listening. We loved it and my friends who were involved say
it was a highlight of their youth in getting to know these elder New Yorkers - often with terrific stories to tell.

Wish someone would bring it back here citywide at least with the full knowledge that our current prez wouldn't give a damn
about this type of involvement but maybe someone else does.

Offline Vdame

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »
Aww, I have two year old and would love to have her involved in this!

Offline Spinitch

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
Would love to get involved with something like this as well.

Offline AllonsyPond

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »
Thanks all for responding! 

When I have some free time, I'll reach out to the senior centers in the area and see if they might want something like this done.

Happy Friday!

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Sunnyside Community Services runs a program like this and they serve all of Western Queens including Jackson Heights!
https://scsny.org/programs/senior-programs

Friendly Visiting
Visit homebound older adults who are in need of companionship and a friendly face. We match volunteers based on geographic location and shared interest. During the visit, volunteers and seniors might play board or card games, discuss current events, make photo albums, or share memories. All of our Friendly Visiting volunteers must be willing to make a six-month commitment to the program.

Full disclosure, I am on the Board. Happy to provide more details if needed!

Offline Jhx

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »
Are there any elders here who can use some help? Please PM me, and maybe I can.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »