Author Topic: What will happen to Arepa Lady?  (Read 1138 times)

Online JA

• Tourist
What will happen to Arepa Lady?
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »
I saw this story a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

http://jacksonheightspost.com/seven-story-building-to-go-up-on-roosevelt-ave-several-stores-face-wrecking-ball

As of a few days ago it seemed that businesses here were still active. I also haven't seen any municipal documents archived by the DOB after the date of this article's publication.

Arepa Lady's brick-and-mortar shop is a tenant here. In my opinion this is one of the best places for inexpensive sit-down food in the neighborhood. It is the continuation of a local institution and seems to serve a surprisingly diverse clientele. They did a great job with this place. I do not frequent it as much as I should but I'd be very sad to see it go. Anybody have any word on this?

Offline Alexnyc

• Resident
Re: What will happen to Arepa Lady?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
I saw on their twitter that they are hoping to find a new location on 37 ave. The building owner did apply for permits ,but Im not sure how.long they would take to be approved.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
Great! Even closer. I love this place and hope that they are able to seamlessly transfer their business to 37th Ave.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
I really hope they are able to find a new storefront, they are a gem in neighborhood!

Offline thedude

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
too bad, great food there. Go there all the time.

Online JA

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
Spoke to some employees last week who said that they are going month-by-month in the current space but are eyeing a storefront on 37th in the upper 70s (no exact info yet, so we may only speculate). They also plan to open an outpost in Brooklyn though he did not say in what neighborhood. So it seems they're doing strong and that a building demolition won't push them out of the neighborhood. Hopefully prices will continue to reflect the community being served.

Offline Ro

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
37th in the upper 70s

Oh, my! That will be dangerous for me! But delicious.

Online JA

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:26:58 PM »
37th in the upper 70s

Oh, my! That will be dangerous for me! But delicious.

Haha, same here. I already live close but something north of Roos would be game-changing.

On a side note, they are now selling arepa con camarones. And for those who didn't know, they have a 2for1 happy hour special on all beers.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:26:58 PM »