Author Topic: Bike path to Astoria?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline abu benuska

• Activist
Bike path to Astoria?
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »
Is there a direct, marked bike path from Jackson Heights to Astoria? If there's not, anyone knows about the procedures to make one happen?

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
Re: Bike path to Astoria?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
Broadway is pretty good connector these days between 72nd and Northern, as they've narrowed to one lane each way, added turn bays and made a much wider shoulder. Once across Northern in Astoria, it's a pretty narrow road with moderately slow traffic, as are most of the avenues there.

Another way is to follow the bike route through Sunnyside and then cut north on 46th street to connect to that bike lane where 34th Avenue resumes. Whatever you do, just stay off Northern Blvd.

This year's official bike map is here: NYC Bike Map
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:22:54 PM by MarcusW »
- MW

Offline Dvo

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
You can reach out to Daniel Dromm's office or maybe transportation alternatives. They will likely know the process.

Offline turtalia

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
here is what I do:
from Astoria to JH: 34th ave - 48th street - 39th Ave - 60th street - back to 34th ave

From JH to Astoria: 34th ave - one block on the sidewalk from 58th to 57th along Broadway - (walking unless it is totally empty) to 57th street across Northern to 32nd Ave to 54th Street to 31st Ave in to Astoria. 

I don't know why I go different ways depending on direction. But version A is mostly marked bike lane.

and ditto the stay off Northern Blvd. Like whoa.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
On a weekend morning, early, northern is a nice ride albeit full of potholes on our end.

What part of Astoria are you going to?
I like to take 31st Ave. It is the only Ave that goes all the way through. Once you're in Astoria, the 35th and 36st bike lanes will take you north or south.

30th ave is listed as a suggested route on some bike pages. If you choose it, check how to get around the GCP. That's the glitch.
Do you have a NYC bike map? Since there are so many ways to get there, you might enjoy exploring the various routes.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
Why do you need a marked bike path throughout? Can't you just ride on non-major streets? Ride visibly, respect drivers and pedestrians. By looking at the bike map, I'd go west on 34th street, north on 60th street, then west on 31st ave. Do you really need a bike lane everywhere?

I believe the paper bike map has much more than this online version, with suggested routes, not marked ones - which is great.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Anyone have info on the bike tour happening in Jackson Heights this weekend?

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Why do you need a marked bike path throughout?

Because then you don't need to worry about drivers texting, on cell phones, inattentive, drivers, hostile drivers, drivers in a hurry, drivers paying attention to everything else on the road except a bicyclist, drivers parked and opening doors, drivers scooting around the right side of cars turning left... you know, the myriad of things that leaves bicyclists dead or injured pretty much every day in the city.

Offline abu benuska

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
Thanks you all. Nice suggestions, good to know that Broadway could be a nice ride.

Jeff, it would be safer to ride (especially with children). Northern is dangerous, so it would be good to get extra protection around there. In addition, JH is physically close to Astoria, but there's no fast direct link via public transportation. So a bike lane could be an "expressway" btw the too neighborhoods. We could get to their park, business and restaurants.

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:22 PM »
I would be trepidatious about venturing off to Astoria from JH via bicycle.  The cars are aggressive and the bike lanes are pretty limited or nonexistent.  See, http://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/queens-bike-map/.   We should, as a neighborhood, demand a direct, safe, bicycle path to both LIC and Astoria!!! 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:07:09 PM by JDinJH »

Offline Grabey

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
The best and most direct way that I've found is to go down 74th or another street to 31st Ave. 31st Goes all the way to Astoria and doesn't get that much traffic. It's a four lane road (I think) so you can take the lane.
I prefer 31st over Broadway, especially north of Northern, because Broadway is much more narrow. 31st really should be designated a bike lane.

The biggest challenge to biking in Queens is getting to Manhattan! Coming off the 59th St bridge is a nightmare.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »
The best and most direct way that I've found is to go down 74th or another street to 31st Ave. 31st Goes all the way to Astoria and doesn't get that much traffic. It's a four lane road (I think) so you can take the lane.
I prefer 31st over Broadway, especially north of Northern, because Broadway is much more narrow. 31st really should be designated a bike lane.

The biggest challenge to biking in Queens is getting to Manhattan! Coming off the 59th St bridge is a nightmare.

+1 .. when I have to drive to Astoria, I usually go down 31 ave, definitely more pleasant even with the traffic lights than fighting the double parking to the highway on 37 ave.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »