Author Topic: Coworking in Jackson Heights?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline jonnygoldstein

• Citizen
Coworking in Jackson Heights?
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
I am a big fan of coworking, having done it in several cities, and now that we moved to NYC, in Manhattan and Astoria. Has anyone thought of creating a coworking community here in JH? I wonder if real estate rental costs and demand make it a realistic idea or not. For now, when I work in JH and want to get out of the house, I hit Starbucks, the Library, or Espresso 77, but I'd love a dedicated coworking community space in the neighborhood. There are a lot of benefits from coworking---both social, business, and for the neighborhood.

Love to hear folks thoughts about this.

And for those who haven't heard of coworking here's some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coworking

----Jonny

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Coworking in Jackson Heights?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
I think this is a great idea, and have spent some time thinking about it on and off.

This could work in JH, but our market profile may be somewhat different than other parts of the city where coworking is taking off.   We have lots of creative people who are self-employed or doing contract work, but these are often writers or others or others engaged in creative work, not necessarily young entrepreneurs wooing investors.  The JH market would be price sensitive, and probably willing to trade off some of the ping-pong tables and other amenities in favor of a flexible option for child care by the hour. 

Offline Crabby_Appleton

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
I would love a quiet coworking space. I've looked into leasing office space here and the prices are nuts.

Offline daisy

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »
Queens definitely needs coworking spaces.  We have very very few options here.  There are many in Manhattan, but we could really use more options in Queens.  I am not interested in running one, but I enjoy using them.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »
With the prices of commercial rents what they are here it would probably be hard to do this competitively.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:20:47 AM »
If you're willing to travel a bit, there's http://www.qnscollective.com/ in Astoria.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:20:47 AM »