Author Topic: Another new building "massive condos" in East Elmhurst  (Read 440 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Another new building "massive condos" in East Elmhurst
« on: October 09, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
https://newyorkyimby.com/2017/10/permits-filed-for-massive-condominiums-at-32-17-112th-street-east-elmhurst-queens.html

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Does this mean each condo will be 5,000 square feet? If so, I guess that's why the headline says "massive condos."

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
Re: Another new building "massive condos" in East Elmhurst
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
According to the article, it appears that there will only be one parking space.  At 5,000+ sq. ft. per unit, I would expect this to be labeled as luxury condos, and parking usually comes along with the package.  Well, at least parking should be included.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
According to the article, it appears that there will only be one parking space.  At 5,000+ sq. ft. per unit, I would expect this to be labeled as luxury condos, and parking usually comes along with the package.  Well, at least parking should be included.

That's really odd. Maybe they are building an underground garage that didn't get mentioned? Or maybe it's like this Chelsea building where the condos are so large the owners drive their cars up to park on their own floor! http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/chelsea-apartment-building-private-garages-article-1.1187005

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
sounds like this will be condos in the suburban sense - each one a semi free-standing unit/townhouse.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:34 PM »
sounds like this will be condos in the suburban sense - each one a semi free-standing unit/townhouse.

I don't think so, at least that's not how I read it. It says: "On the first floor, there will be one apartment and one enclosed parking spot. There will be two apartments on the second floor and one on the third and fourth floors. The fourth floor will also include half a duplex that leads up to a penthouse."

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
that sounds like a really unpleasant layout. the size of a loft and the charm of an abandoned Banana Republic outlet.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:29:27 PM »
that sounds like a really unpleasant layout. the size of a loft and the charm of an abandoned Banana Republic outlet.

Not to mention what is sure to be an unimaginably high price tag!

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »

Not to mention what is sure to be an unimaginably high price tag!

Yes, I'm sure these will be priced very high given the enormous size. What I don't understand is who can afford these prices and yet want to live so far from the subway and in a neighborhood that is still quite industrial? Is it for very wealthy out-of-towners who want a pied-a-terre right next to LGA? Is this just developers hoping to capitalize on a waterfront area relatively near Manhattan that has not been totally developed yet?

I'm just curious since there does seem to be a trend of these fancy condos in East Elmhurst/North Corona recently. Those neighborhoods certainly have their charms, but they're not the charms typcially sought out by people who can afford 5,000 sq ft condos (not to over-generalize...).

Offline M7X7

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Something about that article is incorrect. Either the address or the square footage or both. The entire lot size at 32-17 112th street is only 2300 sq ft; there can't be 5000 sq ft condos there without ripping the spacetime continuum.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »