Author Topic: What will happen to Arepa Lady?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
Re: What will happen to Arepa Lady?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »
They need a permanent space in the area with a decent rent. If anyone has any leads, I would talk to them asap.

Decent rent, as we all know, is like the Holy Grail.

If only they could amalgamate with City Coffee on 37th Ave between 77 and 78. That would be a dream location for them.

Offline JH3525

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
I feel very confident that the Arepa Lady and her adult children will manage quite well on their own working with Commercial Brokers in search of a reasonable decent space which doesn't have to be on pricey 37 Ave or Roosevelt Ave since they have a large loyal following so a side street would be fine. 

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
I feel very confident that the Arepa Lady and her adult children will manage quite well on their own working with Commercial Brokers in search of a reasonable decent space which doesn't have to be on pricey 37 Ave or Roosevelt Ave since they have a large loyal following so a side street would be fine.

The Japanese place 969 Coffee on 80th St. is a good example of this. Hope it works out for Arepa Lady!

I did notice a recent renovation of a small space on 85th St. just into Jackson Heights off Roosevelt Ave next to Linden Ct. I'm not sure if it's being renovated so they can advertise it for lease or it they already have a tenant. Also not sure if it's set up for kitchen facilities but maybe it could be a possiblity. http://bit.ly/2uZpKVs

Offline jackinjh

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »
What about Mario's pizza, too expensive.

Offline Dodger

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
Yeah commercial businesses on the side streets (with lower rents) are key.  It always seems to be where the more interesting and unusual businesses are located (like in the East Village and the Upper East Side). We have that too in Jackson Heights, but one of our difficulties is not enough commercial spaces on side streets and the concentration of retail on a few main avenues and streets. I imagine some of this is a legacy of our garden city heritage, and the aspiration to separate residential and commercial.

I also like the "amalgamating" with City Coffee idea.  I seem to remember that a local club meets there but otherwise it's always completely empty when i walk by.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
I have another idea.

They are well known enough to go upstairs in the new Bruson Building.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
What about Mario's pizza, too expensive.

I had thought about the Mario's Pizza location as well, but I've noticed the previous tenant right outside the storefront on more than one occasion.  Also, there doesn't seem to be any current signage indicating the space's availability. This makes me wonder if the Mario's Pizza people have plans for the space going forward.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
i don't think the Bruson building is zoned for food/beverage above the first floor.

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »
Apparently Arepa Lady found a new location! 78-31 37th Ave. (the old Ingrid's space)

Their application for a liquor license will be reviewed by the community board tonight.
https://twitter.com/communityboard3/status/916650763253899264
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:32:49 AM by the80s »

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
If that pans out it'd be a brilliant location for them.

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
Now they are saying on Twitter they haven't actually signed a lease for that space yet (despite the license application), so I'm confused. Sounds like things have not yet been finalized, but sure hope it all works out.

https://twitter.com/Arepalady/status/918128346277580800

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
That storefront is one of the best locations in all of Jackson Heights.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
That would be an excellent addition to that block! Fingers crossed.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 10:29:57 AM »
Not that I'm looking to order coffee at the Arepa Lady's restaurant, but why are businesses like Starbucks allowed to dictate what neighboring businesses can sell?  All in all, I'm hoping everything transpires smoothly for Arepa Lady.

From DNAinfo:

'Arepa Lady' Moves to New Space but Starbucks Blocks it From Selling Coffee

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the DNAInfo story! Good to have more details and glad to see this seems to really be happening. I wish only good things and great success for that place.

As for Starbucks, those two spaces must have the same landlord, and Starbucks must have a very broad no-competitors clause in their lease. The landlord agreed to it probably because they wanted to secure Starbucks as a tenant (unlikely they won't make rent, for example).

Apparently quite common.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/1j1hkj/cant_sell_coffee_next_to_starbucks_is_this_legal/
https://www.law360.com/articles/560018/the-ins-and-outs-of-competitor-restrictions-in-leases

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »