Author Topic: Chinese + Latin food = ChinoLatino  (Read 8086 times)

Offline rec213

• Tourist
  • I can resist everything except temptation...
    • Facebook Me!
Chinese + Latin food = ChinoLatino
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »
I have to say growing up 3 blocks away from this restaurant has been a major cause to my spare tire... there food is delicious. Just the fried rice ALONE will leave you craving more.

I went in with my fiance and friend a few days ago, the service was great, the waiter whom was originally the owners son and now new owner pretty much suggested our meal and drinks for us and hit the mark.

I just recently found out that they now serve Boneless Spare Ribs...  :smitten: and fried or steamed Dumplings :buck2:.

The food alone was enough to make our friend want to visit us more with a detour on some fried rice.

They now also serve a Spanish beer called Estrella from Barcelona. Way better than Corona or any other beer out there.

The restaurant is located at:

La Grande Estrella
88-19 Roosevelt Ave.
Jackson Heights, NY 11372

They deliver to but not on Tuesdays.

Here is some press on it:
http://www.exploreli.com/entertainment/localguide/dining/108514,0,184144.venue

Try there Ice Tea and if you have kids don't forget to ask for there lolipops which has been a tradition with them for more than 30 years...
Check out my vidz...
http://www.vimeo.com/rec213

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Chinese + Latin food = ChinoLatino
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »
bookmarked!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:06:44 PM »
Growing up in PR, the South Bx and visiting some family in Bklyn and Harlem we often ate Latin infused Chinesse food.  Heck, we are going back 30 plus years.  Costillas and pollo frito were a mix of Asian and Latin dishes.  This is not new but merely in certain areas as in Newkirk off the subway, all over the Bronx and of course East Harlem.  They weren't fancy but they were good.  While the more traditional Chinesse dishes were still very Chinesse I remind you that before the peppers were exported from the new world there was no such thing as Szechuan  cuisine.  I remember a "flan de huevos"  weird color, kind of orange instead of caramelized but SOOOO GOOOOD!!

With that said, I will have to go and try La Grande Estrella...It will be a 1st for me in Queens...ChinoLatino... :rockon:

Gracias...

Time is running out!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
I've heard there are a number of varieties of Chino Latino food.  I've never been to any, but supposedly there are a number of restaurants in Manhattan that specialize in Chinese/Cuban cuisine.  Our local specialty here in Jackson Heights is "Chifa," which is a distinct Peruvian/Chinese style available at several of the local Peruvian restaurants.

Offline mg1014

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:55:49 AM »
Can you recommend good Chifas in the neighborhood? I've been to a few in manhattan, but haven't found any around here that pulled me in. 

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same place as referenced below, because it appears to be located a block away.  But an area real estate agent blogs about Mi Estrella, which offers a selection of Latino and Asian dishes.  Anybody been there?

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »
I had chicken wings from there once. The good thing about wings from chinese places is that htey give whole wings. so it's surprisingly a lot of wings wehn you get down to it. I've heard some good things about this place. I want to check it out.
I went to May Chun Garden in corona recently. They have some excellent rotisserie chicken. thats a chinoLatino type of place.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:50:17 PM »
Having enjoyed cuban chinese food in Chelsea and Upper West Side, I looked forward to trying Estrella for lunch recently.
I ordered the ropa vieja from the "latin" side of menu and was disappointed -- it wasn't very "meaty".  For this it's best to trek to El Sitio on 69th & Roosevelt in Woodside (although I have gotten them to deliver to JH if you order enough food).  The place was pleasant and cheap enough to go back and try something from the Chinese menu.

Offline Mallory

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »
I've been to both La Grande Estrella and Mi Estrella and experienced meals ranging from bad to average at both.  But have never had a bad meal at Jardin De China Restaurant (Corona  37-37 Junction Blvd)

Technically it falls outside Jackson Heights, but so does the Jackson Heights darling Rincon Criollo.  I would dare say Jardin De China is as tasty too.

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:30:21 AM »
I still want that Puerto Rican food in Jackson Heights for the days I'm on strike.  And because I can't find it, I'm seriously considering the plan to open up the restaurant.  Liam and NYC Native are you interested?  Grandma will make the rellenos de papa, arroz con gandules, pernil, empanadas, pasteles, pastelillos, mofongo, bistec encebollado, bistec empanado, sancocho, arroz con dulce, escabeche, etc.  Not sure I want the ChinoLatino.  There is enough MSG en el sazon. :rockon:

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:35 PM »
Highly inspired by this post, we're doing this month's Jackson Heights Food Group at Mi Estrella. Thanks for the info everyone.

check out this thread for more info:
http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=2388.new#new

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:35 PM »