Author Topic: Anything better then time Warner internet?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline deja

• Activist
Re: Anything better then time Warner internet?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »
@llh

I'm having the same disconnect problems, as are many others in our neighborhood.  It is not normal, nor is it a consequence of being a shared line. 

I've run some diagnostics and found that the latency on the first hop, the connection between the cable modem and Spectrum's system (CMTS - cable modem termination system), goes up from the typical 10ms - 25ms to over 500ms as well as observing data packet loss while this is occurring.  That's the cause of the periodic disconnects.  It's actually occurring a lot more often than every couple of hours, however most of the time the latency and packet loss is within the ability of the computer to correct for and maintain a connection even though performance has been degraded.

Spectrum is far worse than TWC ever was.  FIOS and even RCN are much better, however they have a limited footprint in the neighborhood.  RCN is currently not expanding their network and Verizon is pretty much only pulling fiber into buildings as the old copper phone wire requires replacement with the added benefit of making FIOS available or into new multiple unit construction.

Offline Tom Lowenhaupt

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
Neighbors,

A page on this topic is available on JacksonHeights.nyc, see https://wiki.jacksonheights.nyc/wiki/ISPs. Note that the page you see is a wiki. If you have additional info on the topic, please share it.

Best,

Tom

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
My cable service from Spectrum has sucked since the switch from TWC but I haven't noticed any issues with my internet.  I keep losing everything I have saved on my DVR (it's not the box - I got a new one and am still having issues) and the picture goes out often and the volume control is a mess - commercials are much louder than shows. TWC was actually good about that.

I've been ready to cut the cord for a while now but have been putting it off because there's no other good way to get MSNBC, which I need because I am obsessed with politics.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
Lilybell--agree! We also need MSNBC for professional reasons. Also have had DVR issues. Sigh...

Offline Sabina

• Tourist
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 10:21:02 PM »
Anyone experience any recent issues with Spectrum internet lately? I haven’t had the misfortune of witnessing the dung heap end of TWCSpectrum as WiFi service has been consistently good for me here the past four years. But the past few days have been crappy and what I suppose is the norm for most.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
re: "Anyone experience any recent issues with Spectrum internet lately?"

Sabina, I have not but then again I live in the high eighties and I think the population is less dense in this area.

Offline Marco

• Tourist
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »
Do half of Jackson Heights split internet connection with a neighbouring apartment (e.g. your apartment and your neighbour’s apartment just have one bill, one modem/router, and split payment 50-50)? No need to pay twice for certain overheads).
I guess it could get annoying and complicated splitting the bill if one apartment wants and is getting some kind of cable TV or something else that the other one isn’t?
Thanks

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:24 PM »
FWIW I have TWC (Spectrum now) and it works well. BUT--there's been a big improvement since I purchased and installed my own modem. Their website recommends compatible modems, which are available at Best Buy and Amazon. Really there's pretty much one standard, widely used, that works great, I can look if anyone's interested. I also use my own wifi router. I was told by a higher-up TWC tech support guy that using your own modem is often much better, and of course you save $10/month, so it pays for itself. I just dropped the rest of the package. I'll have 200 mbps Internet for $65/month, no tax. Then I'll get a streaming package, perhaps DirecTV Now, so I can watch Yankees etc. Note that you can use one package at two locations, handy if you have two homes and want to cut loose both cable services. FIOS is supposedly coming, right along with judgement day.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 05:04:21 AM »
I was told by a higher-up TWC tech support guy that using your own modem is often much better, and of course you save $10/month, so it pays for itself. I just dropped the rest of the package. I'll have 200 mbps Internet for $65/month, no tax.

I called about the yearly increase; they are sending me a new modem and claim they are bumping me from 60 to 100 mbps. They didn't offer me the 200 mbps and I didn't ask for it. I'm always told they are giving me their "best." I'll be paying $65/mo., but that's supposedly w/o wifi.

Ecrivain, do you pay $5 for access to the wifi as part of that $65?

Sorry, I just don't want to be giving Spectrum one penny more than I have to.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
My cable bill just went up and I am finally fed up, considering I can't get a DVR box that actually works for more than a few weeks. I am tired of paying their exorbitant prices yet still being forced to sit through commercials when I watch something On Demand.

I don't watch enough tv to make it worth keeping.

There are a lot of streaming services that have live tv for about $35 a month. I'm looking into them and will probably switch to Hulu or Sling - I need MSNBC and was happy to find that they are included in those services.

Offline deja

• Activist
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
FIOS is supposedly coming, right along with judgement day.

Verizon drilled into each floor of my building in preparation for pulling in the fiber.  It's been months since, no one should hold their breath. 

"FIOS is coming" unfortunately means they won't bring in the fiber unless the building's copper phone lines are deteriorated to the level that they're constantly sending techs over to fix them.  So, you get phone service on fiber and the side effect is FIOS becomes available.  Or, you're fortunate enough to live in a brand new, expensive building.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
FIOS is supposedly coming, right along with judgement day.

Verizon drilled into each floor of my building in preparation for pulling in the fiber.  It's been months since, no one should hold their breath. 

"FIOS is coming" unfortunately means they won't bring in the fiber unless the building's copper phone lines are deteriorated to the level that they're constantly sending techs over to fix them.  So, you get phone service on fiber and the side effect is FIOS becomes available.  Or, you're fortunate enough to live in a brand new, expensive building.

Hold out hope.. they finally ran some cabling in my pre-war building recently after the holes were there for a while..

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
 Has anyone heard of entire buildings in JH coops signing up everyone for Spectrum? Seems crazy at this time with all
the cable cutting options, etc.

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
Let me correct some obsolete information I posted earlier. Spectrum no longer charges $10/month for a modem. They do charge $5 a month for wifi, apparently. So: assuming their current modems perform well, you should use one of theirs rather than buying your own. I have a separate wifi router, which will save me the $5/mo. on that, and in the past I've found that cable company routers are darn near impossible to configure/customize, whereas I can do what I want to mine.

Also note that if your Internet connection exceeds 100mbps you may need a new modem to take full advantage of the higher speeds. This is my situation, so I've just ordered a new free and faster modem from Spectrum.

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
In general, on the subject of Spectrum, I find noticeable improvements over the old TWC, not limited to the free modems. I find it much more likely that I'm talking to employees here in the US instead of overseas (easier to communicate, better connection), and staff are less likely to be reading robotically from a script. They seem more cheerful, more knowledgeable and better educated, too.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »