Author Topic: Sagar Chinese - New at Bruson Building  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Cassat

• Citizen
Re: Sagar Chinese - New at Bruson Building
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
Wow nice, will sneak a peek. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much here - Indian Chinese food is one of my absolute favourites, but I have never ever found any that even approaches what I get in India.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »
I have always thought if a place did a high end indian buffet they would do really well

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
i've always enjoyed the higher end Indian buffets i've had in other cities, but do you think the average diner would be willing to pay $19.95 or $24.95 for a buffet in this neighborhood?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
and they are indeed open...and PACKED with customers (looks like a lot of families) and people waiting for carryout. there's a carryout menu, but no mention of delivery -- and i didn't want to bother one of hte harried looking  waitpersons to ask.

the menu is pretty much the same as the one online for their other locations at www.sagarchinese.com

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »
Sagar was packed again tonight!  The customers were primarily Bangladeshi families, including a lot of large, multigenerational parties.  Despite the crowds, the staff provided fast, attentive service.

The food was good.   I wouldn't say it's better than Talk of the Town, but it's a nice space in a convenient location.  I recommend trying it out!

When tipping, note that the bill already includes a 15% service charge.

Offline Jhx

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:28 PM »
I hope they realize pretty quickly that it’s illegal to do that.

Offline N00b

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »
I hope they realize pretty quickly that it’s illegal to do that.

In what way is it illegal?

We got take out and it wasn't great. Missed a main dish and two sides in our order too. Think they were overwhelmed and not prepared for the rush.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
They're having some opening issues...went yesterday at 12 and some people sitting next to us got up and left because they had been there for awhile without so much as water. They were also told the kitchen wouldn't be ready for 20 minutes, even though restaurant said they were open. LOL

That said, our service was good. We did notice the 15% service charge; lame that they don't make it more obvious on the menu, at least that I could tell.

The restaurant interior is nicer than just about any other place in western JH. The prices are mostly fair...Desi Chinese is pretty limited (mostly fried and/or covered in thick sauces), but the stuff we had was generally pretty good (lollipop chicken, chow mein, fried rice, "sizzling" platter).  Better than "Talk of the Town" (which often takes ages to get any food even when empty), and way better than the sad gobi manchurian or chicken chili that sits out on the buffets on 74th street.

Offline wallaby

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »
To those who have visited Sagar's other location and are excited about this iteration in JH...what are you favorite dishes? Any menu stand-outs? Will try to stop later in the week when they've worked out some of the opening kinks and I'd love to know what I should order!

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
Is that legal to place the tip of 15% on the bill?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
To those who have visited Sagar's other location and are excited about this iteration in JH...what are you favorite dishes? Any menu stand-outs? Will try to stop later in the week when they've worked out some of the opening kinks and I'd love to know what I should order!

at other location, i've liked the "dry" sautee dishes, either Manchurian or Chili (they offer a couple of spicing options) and noodle dishes. The Shrimp and Potato Strip and Chicken Cake (just a basic croquette, but tasty) are good, too. items that look like they could be on any old Chinese menu are okay, but go for the more unique things.

Offline toque198

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
From their website:  "Mandatory 15% gratuity will be added for party of 4 or more.".

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
usually, it's for a party of six or more, and it's done at thousands of places in the city, so if it's illegal, it's enforced as regularly as the law (on the books) against flirting on a public sidewalk, which is punishable by a $25 fine.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »
I agree with the earlier posts about what to order.  Also, if you like Hot & Sour Soup, I recommend trying it when you visit an Indian Chinese restaurant.  Because the food is halal, they use a rich chicken base instead of a pork base for the soup, and it's usually very delicious (as it was at Sagar).

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
Service charges are legal in NYC.  What is NOT legal is for the restaurant to pocket that money instead of distributing it among the servers (Per Se got fined for it). 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »