Author Topic: LGA Airtrain proposal to Willets Point  (Read 650 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
LGA Airtrain proposal to Willets Point
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:01:14 PM »
This article is from last month (May 2017). I hadn't realized this proposal was still in the works. A $14 million commitment to develop the proposal makes it sound pretty serious.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-firm-hired-design-14-6m-airtrain-laguardia-airport-article-1.3148361

There were a few discussions about this on JHL but I couldn't find anything more recent than 2015, so I started this new thread.

I thought the Q70 pretty much took care of the lack of public transportation to LGA, and it brings people to a bigger hub than Willets Point. I don't see the point in spending a massive amount of money to achieve questionable results.

Offline deja

• Citizen
Re: LGA Airtrain proposal to Willets Point
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:11:25 AM »
Not much point to it unless it's a one seat ride directly between Manhattan and the airport.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:17:07 AM »
I agree it's unnecessary.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
The Q70 should be free.  When I took a shuttle flight to Boston, there is a free bus that takes you to the T. 
If the goal is to reduce private cars and taxi's at the airport, a free bus to the subway might help.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
The Q70 should be free.  When I took a shuttle flight to Boston, there is a free bus that takes you to the T. 
If the goal is to reduce private cars and taxi's at the airport, a free bus to the subway might help.
That is an absolutely wonderful idea! For the workers and the travelers.

Offline elmonk

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »

The Q70 was free during holiday peak travel and during the blizzard. 

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/Q70SBS_notice_ridefree.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/free-ride-drop-q70-fare-article-1.3057000

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:27:19 AM by elmonk »

Offline M7X7

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »
That 30 minute travel time claim seems pretty absurd. The 7 train alone is a 30 minute ride from Midtown to Willets Point, and that's without delays (which are common, since it's already overburdened). Stuffing even MORE people in will only make things worse, and certainly won't help the "third world country" vibe of LGA as a first impression of NYC. Just a terrible plan all around. LGA needs better transit, but there has to be a better solution.

Offline jackinjh

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »
Is it just me or 7 train been overly crowded recently. I usually take 10 to 11am train usually you get a seat, but recently is pack. And the evening from 6pm, usually you have comfortable standing room, now you have squeeze yourself in like the green line.

Is the goal of the airtrain for people in Long Island and Flushing, I don't see how it is faster for people in the city. It might be faster to take the bus at Jackson Heights or Woodside than going further in to take the airtrain.

Offline theplanesland

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
Is it just me or 7 train been overly crowded recently. I usually take 10 to 11am train usually you get a seat, but recently is pack. And the evening from 6pm, usually you have comfortable standing room, now you have squeeze yourself in like the green line.

Is the goal of the airtrain for people in Long Island and Flushing, I don't see how it is faster for people in the city. It might be faster to take the bus at Jackson Heights or Woodside than going further in to take the airtrain.

The goal of the Airtrain, honestly, is for Upstate voters to see Governor Cuomo cutting the ribbon on a train which supposedly solves a problem, and thus to see him as a problem-solver. The route was chosen supposedly because it has absolutely no NIMBY opposition - it goes through mostly uninhabited areas. But I think it was also chosen to funnel people into the shopping mall that Related Companies, a big political donor, was supposed to build on the Willets Point site (which has now been blocked.)

The obvious route for a LGA AirTrain would be up the BQE from the 61st/Woodside station, but it didn't have a shopping mall option.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »

The obvious route for a LGA AirTrain would be up the BQE from the 61st/Woodside station, but it didn't have a shopping mall option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That does make far more sense. (Instead of travelling nearly 60 blocks further from LGA)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »