Author Topic: Community Service for My Daughter  (Read 390 times)

Offline Babycakesmama

• Tourist
Community Service for My Daughter
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
My daughter is in the 8th grade and will turn 13 in a month. She's looking for some community service or volunteering she can do on some weekends that are close to home. She loves animals, sings, and great with kids. What are some opportunities in the neighborhood that I can get her involved in? Thanks for the help!

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
Re: Community Service for My Daughter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 06:46:14 PM »
Does her school have any such projects?

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:04 AM »
 I would look to invent a volunteer project for her in the neighborhood. Something she takes the lead on and possibly invites
others to join in on. Singing seems the easiest to be part of and there are youth choruses citywide if she does want a social
component. There was a chorus (maybe still exists) at the Jewish Center on 37th Ave. Working as an assistant with kids is
great but I think now there are some restrictions on inexperienced people working with young kids. Liability is an issue in
so many places now that it may be harder to find without a personal connection.Could she set up an informal group?
Meet at Starbucks or the library and see what a group would like to do?  JHBG often has calls for volunteers but many
of the requests are for outdoor work which it sounds like she is not really into. If you would be an adult supervisor, for
even a short time, I think she would have an easier time of it finding a volunteer position.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
" I would look to invent a volunteer project for her in the neighborhood. Something she takes the lead on and possibly invites others to join in on. "

There's something called SmartGirls.

Not sure if it is the same as Amy Poehler's Smart Girls: https://amysmartgirls.com/

I get emails from the SmartGirls club at Hunter College. They send educational info and period kits to girls coming of age, among other things. The daughter could be a subclub, do local fundraising and host SmartGirl events at home or library, E77, wherever free. I would think the Hunter club would be happy to mentor the young volunteer. The Hunter group recently hosted a talk given by a young girl who was successful in her youth business endeavor.

If interested, I will forward their emails. juslemeeno

Offline Babycakesmama

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
Thank you all, these are some great feedback and advice. Her school has volunteering within the school but wanted her to be involved locally to our home. The Jewish Center choir is for adults only.
I will check with JHBG for anything and in the meantime, I'll discuss with my daughter about what she has in mind for any leadership opportunities. She's also quite busy with school and babysitting, so it may benefit her to just have a volunteer opportunities to join in.
Thank you so much!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »