Author Topic: GoFundMe fundraiser for local hero who jumped on 7 tracks to save man  (Read 419 times)

Offline jeanette

• Council Member
Re: GoFundMe fundraiser for local hero who jumped on 7 tracks to save man
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Thanks Shelby2. I had read about this the day it happened, but had just had a disagreement on JHLife about public drunkenness and I didn't want to exacerbate what had become somewhat of a testy exchange.

I'll donate.

I hate to say this, but Felipe may suffer for the rest of his life for his good deed. He's young, but his injury is serious. 

I hope the drunk gets the help he needs too so that this doesn't happen again.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about this.

Offline JH3525

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »
I plan to donate.  Since Elmhurst Hospital is City owned it appears that there won't be a hospital bill.  The $5,000 (hope its a lot more) will keep him at home so that he can properly recover.  What an incredible person. 

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
It's humbling to read this, and I hope this story gets picked up by more media.
One nagging doubt, though: how can we be sure the GoFundMe page is legit? You hear so many stories of impostors trying to raise a buck off other people's misfortune. I see the page has already raised $5,880 and has personal stories and photos, so seems to be the real deal...Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
It's humbling to read this, and I hope this story gets picked up by more media.
One nagging doubt, though: how can we be sure the GoFundMe page is legit? You hear so many stories of impostors trying to raise a buck off other people's misfortune. I see the page has already raised $5,880 and has personal stories and photos, so seems to be the real deal...Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

There are a few ways to check into the campaign's legitimacy. The GoFundMe website lists them here:
https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/203604704-How-do-I-know-it-s-safe-to-donate-to-someone-

One method suggested is to contact the campaign's coordinator by email.

I have a feeling this one is legit. I searched the campaign coordinator's name on Facebook (it's an unusual name) and I actually have two friends in common with her. But if you're concerned, certainly follow the steps suggested on the GoFundMe page.

Offline lindsey

• Activist
Thanks Shelby, this helps a lot. Just went on and made a donation.

Jackson Heights Life