Author Topic: Interesting Breakfast Options  (Read 1823 times)

Offline BennyB

• Resident
Interesting Breakfast Options
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
I'd like to share the interesting Jackson Heights-style breakfast choices I have had recently on my way to the subway in the morning and ask if anyone has any other good choices:

Tamale lady on Roosevelt between 75th and 76th (just right of La Abundancia)  - These are the best tamales I've had in the neighborhood and only a buck apiece. Several flavors includ red, green, mole and cheese. She will also put them on a torta roll for you although I haven't tried this.

Double Rainbow - Great chinese bakery with a pretty impressive dim sum menu available every day. Most of the dim sum items are about $2 and one order is enough for me. There are also pork buns and tons of different savory and sweet pastries.

If anyone knows of anything else in a similar vein that I could grab on my way to work please let me know. Especially Indian or Himalayan food. Colombian or South American might be cool too. Thanks!

Offline EastsideJH

• Resident
Re: Interesting Breakfast Options
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »
Outside of the box for breakfast, but the onigiri from 969 NYC Coffee are nice. He also uses Joe coffee and has nice matcha lattes.

Offline Hertog

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
For those with a sweet tooth, the churros with dulce de leche at La Gran Uruguaya are fantastic.

And the empanadas are terrific as well.

Offline M7X7

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
La Casa De Los Antojitos is a Colombian bakery/diner on 37th between 81st and 82nd that is open early and has empanadas and stuff. Sometimes I grab something there on my way to the 7 train.

Lety's, on 37th between 77th and 78th, has very cheap coffee and very delicious pastries.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am fo' real!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Tamale lady on Roosevelt between 75th and 76th (just right of La Abundancia)  - These are the best tamales I've had in the neighborhood and only a buck apiece. Several flavors includ red, green, mole and cheese. She will also put them on a torta roll for you although I haven't tried this.

I agree - these are the best tamales in the neighborhood! So good.

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
Are these tamales from one of those food carts? I need to try them!

Offline BennyB

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Are these tamales from one of those food carts? I need to try them!

No, she's standing behind a grocery store cart with a couple huge pots in it. She also has hot mexican drinks. You're going to love the tamales. I think she is there till 9 or 10 am?

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

Offline BennyB

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »
Just want to add two more interesting options I've found:

Lotus wrapped sticky rice from Fay Da. There is fatty pork, chinese sausage and mushrooms in the rice. They have this at Double Rainbow as well but this one is better. The filling is really amazing. Also want to try the buns here.

Mangu from Espinal Deli 2. This is in Woodside, but if you ever find yourself going to the Northern Boulevard M/R subway stop, this is only 4 blocks away. Mangu is a Dominican dish of mashed plantains with toppings like fried cheese, salami, sausage, etc.. In Puerto Rico they call it mofongo. This version is delicious. You could also pick up lunch food and bring it with you which is what I will do next time. Their pernil looked delicious.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »
Following-up on mofongo...  I was driving along Roosevelt Ave. in Woodside yesterday and noticed that there's a new mofongo place, NOMA Paellas & Mofongos House.  The food pics on their Facebook page are nice, but wondering if anyone has tried it yet. 

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
The new Fay Da (across from Pacific Supermarket on Broadway) is an excellent addition to the neighborhood! I've tried the steamed pork buns, chicken buns, and curry beef puff so far. All are excellent. They also have coffee and bubble tea, along with a lot of other sweet and savory pastries.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
I feel bad for Double Rainbow bakery. They're good people but Fay Da is essentially Shake Shack

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
Rainbow does do a really good version of that sticky rice in lotus leaves - but they make very few and they sell out early. same with the rest of the items in their steam tray.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
If you have time to sit down for breakfast at a restaurant (as opposed to walk-while-you-eat), El Rico Tinto is among the best in the neighborhood.

Offline BennyB

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:18 AM »
Following-up on mofongo...  I was driving along Roosevelt Ave. in Woodside yesterday and noticed that there's a new mofongo place, NOMA Paellas & Mofongos House.  The food pics on their Facebook page are nice, but wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

Thank you I will check this out. I love puerto-rican / dominican food

Offline fillmorep

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
I would like to add Las Delicias Colombianas (OK I know I have messed up the Spanish spelling..). It's the little place on 82nd on the way to the 7 on the left-hand side, next to Coco Bubble Tea. The cafe con leche is really good, as are the pastries. I often get their chicken soup for lunch: $4.50 for a big container.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »