Author Topic: growing herbs on a fire escape  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Daisy Johnson

• Tourist
growing herbs on a fire escape
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
I'd like to try to grow fresh herbs on my fire escape.  Has anyone had success they would like to share?  Thanks!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
Re: growing herbs on a fire escape
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
I'd like to try to grow fresh herbs on my fire escape.  Has anyone had success they would like to share?  Thanks!

I believe that fire escapes are supposed to be easily accessible in case of an emergency.  Although, I'm not sure if that has changed.  And I know nothing about growing fresh herbs, but sounds like a great project.  Good luck!   :smiley6600:

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
I grew some herbs in a box on my window ledge on my fire escape last spring. I was nervous about putting them on the fire escape itself, just in case it blocked egress, but that just might be my paranoia kicking in. I have one box that runs the full length of one window frame and is about 7 inches across and the same deep. I had lettuce, cabbage, mint, thyme and basil, though this year I'm cutting out the leafy greens and bulking up on the mint and basil, which I use the most and are essentially weeds, so they grow really quickly and easily. I got my herbs and supplies at Home Depot. They weren't in the best condition, but it worked. Does anyone know if most coops have regulations about window boxes? That's what I'd really like to do, but no one in my building has any, so I wasn't sure if they were banned.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
Does anyone know if most coops have regulations about window boxes? That's what I'd really like to do, but no one in my building has any, so I wasn't sure if they were banned.

I’d check with individual co-ops on whether or not window boxes are allowed.  A co-op’s house rules, by-laws or proprietary lease should make mention of it.

My guess is that because a window box may be considered a possible liability issue, NYC local laws may treat it in the same way as one would an air conditioner.   In other words, you would have to make sure that the window box is rigged securely to the window/building in order to prevent it from falling.  NYC local laws basically state that any building appurtenances must be fastened securely in order to be in compliance.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline cupcakeparade

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
pigeons use our fire escape as their bathroom, so i wouldn't put anything consumable on ours as a matter of hygiene.

Offline Aronan

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
My understanding is that anything on a fire escape is a violation. Doesn't mean that people don't put stuff out there all the time, but technically Fire Escapes are supposed to be free and clear of all obstructions.
"It is widely recognized that the courageous spirit of a
single man can inspire to victory an army of
thousands. If one concerned with ordinary gain can
create such an effect, how much more will be produced by one who cares for greater things ?" -Chunag Tse

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:27:05 PM »
Ooops... I forgot to mention in my post above re: window boxes that I was referring to non-fire escape windows.  Aronan is right.  It is against NYC fire code to obstruct fire escapes.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »
I was referring to window boxes on windows apart from the fire escape. :)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »